• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobinclaire

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
Hi all, I have been walking the camino frances for the last month starting in St Jean. Since Leon though I have had injuries however I managed to make it to Sarria but now I have to take at least two rest days. I have aready walked the last 100km before from Sarria so I am thinking of taking a rest day in Sarria and then maybe taxi to next stop and start walking again. Does this however jeopardise the credentials? It is not the reason I am doing the walk but if I continue to walk (still considering skipping the last 100km too as not sure I want to put my sis back on) but it wiould be nice to get it considering I have walked from St.Jean. thanks Claire

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you can take even a third day to rest. As Walkerooni stated in order to get a credential you must walk the final 100K and get two sellos a day. It doesn't matter how far you walked previous to the 100K. You could "cheat" and have the taxi stop somewhere to get a stamp and then get your second stamp of the taxi day at the place you are sleeping at. There is a possibility that when you get to the Pilgrim Office the person giving you the credential will not notice you missed a stamp.
It is up to you. But those are the requirements for a Compostela.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are all sorts of "cheats" available: use taxis all the way but stop to get stamps at regular intervals. You may have trouble finding a taxi driver who wants a 5 day trip. Employ one of those local youths that have nothing better to do to walk it for you and meet you at the Parador in Santiago. Engage one of those tour companies that drop off their clean and shiny clients at irregular intervals near the nicer cafes...

I could offer more but I've got a living to make.

The PO's requirement is a contiguous walk of 100km along a recognized Camino. @tobinclaire your best bet is to rest in Sarria until you feel comfortable and able to walk that last hack. Sarria is not a bad place to spend a few days and its back-streets merit careful exploration. Buen suerte

There are all sorts of "cheats" available: use taxis all the way but stop to get stamps at regular intervals. You may have trouble finding a taxi driver who wants a 5 day trip. Employ one of those local youths that have nothing better to do to walk it for you and meet you at the Parador in Santiago. Engage one of those tour companies that drop off their clean and shiny clients at irregular intervals near the nicer cafes...

The PO's requirement is a contiguous walk of 100km along a recognized Camino. @tobinclaire your best bet is to rest in Sarria until you feel comfortable and able to walk that last hack. Sarria is not a bad place to spend a few days and its back-streets merit careful exploration. Buen suerte
Thanks, yes I'm resting up in hope I can walk it anyway,

Thanks, no I don't want the credential that badly or would I want to cheat for it, I was only considering I might take a bus on one stage however I am instead resting up now and hoping I can walk in a day or two from Sarria. Thanks for advice.

Thanks, no I don't want the credential that badly or would I want to cheat for it, I was only considering I might take a bus on one stage however I am instead resting up now and hoping I can walk in a day or two from Sarria. Thanks for advice.
There are worse places to be than any decent-sized Spanish town over the Easter weekend. Have a good time and get well soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You mean the Compostela, which is the certificate that you receive in Santiago, not the credential which is what you get stamped to show that your walked.

You can start with a short walk to Samos.
Take care 🙏🏻

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A few years ago I either read or dreamed that there was a way to walk part of the 100K in your home country and then only have to walk the last 60 or so K in Spain. Is that option still available or was it a dream. I am spending 2 weeks as a volunteer hospitalero and have only a few days to get to SDC. I would like a Compostela in a holy year but can live without it.

A few years ago I either read or dreamed that there was a way to walk part of the 100K in your home country and then only have to walk the last 60 or so K in Spain. Is that option still available or was it a dream. I am spending 2 weeks as a volunteer hospitalero and have only a few days to get to SDC. I would like a Compostela in a holy year but can live without it.
I believe this applies specifically to the Camino Ingles route from A Coruna which is 25km short of the 100km minimum. Where you considering walking from?

The official answer is that you must walk the last 100km and get 2 stamps a day to obtain your Compostela. If you are on bike - you must ride the last 200km. So - if you are not completely ready to resume walking - your best bet is to simply extend your rest day or walk shorter days.

But as mentioned above - there are "cheat" options if you are so inclined

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I think that dispensation applies (per @Tincatinker) to the C.Ingles from Ferrol (my mistake - Coruña) - thanks @trecile) and may even be specific to the UK and Ireland.

Last edited:
I think that dispensation applies (per @Tincatinker) to the C.Ingles from Ferrol and may even be specific to the UK and Ireland.
Actually starting from Ferrol qualifies for a Compostela - Gronze says that it's 112 km. It's the short 72.4 km walk from A Coruña that can be supplemented with a documented walk in one's home country.

If you are US based, the best thing you can do is ask APOC. While working at the Pilgrim's Office i remember processing one pilgrim who had done a documented stage in the US. That combined with his walk from A Coruña sufficed for his Compostela.
Don't remember any other details though!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you can take even a third day to rest. As Walkerooni stated in order to get a credential you must walk the final 100K and get two sellos a day. It doesn't matter how far you walked previous to the 100K. You could "cheat" and have the taxi stop somewhere to get a stamp and then get your second stamp of the taxi day at the place you are sleeping at. There is a possibility that when you get to the Pilgrim Office the person giving you the credential will not notice you missed a stamp.
It is up to you. But those are the requirements for a Compostela.
Can you explain why you need to get 2 sellos a day? I was under the impression you only had to get a stamp of the place you stayed at. So how many kilometres would I have to work to get 2 a day on the last 100 km?

Can you explain why you need to get 2 sellos a day? I was under the impression you only had to get a stamp of the place you stayed at. So how many kilometres would I have to work to get 2 a day on the last 100 km?
It' not really "work". As you walk and pass by a bar, restaurant, or a church, etc., you can just stop in and ask for one...quite easy in fact, the majority of the time.

Regardless of where you start you need two stamps per day for the last 100 km. From the Pilgrims Office:

"You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims)."

Yes, the staff and volunteers in the Pilgrims Office can use their discretion to issue a Compostela to a pilgrim who walked from SJPDP but doesn't have the necessary two stamps during the final 100 km. But it's easier for everyone if you follow the rule!

http://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You do not have to do anything. No "work" is required. You do not have to walk. You do not have to stay in Albergues. You do not have to collect stamps. Nothing is compulsory. Spain is a free and democratic country. The caminos are are an anarchic (literally) assemblage of roads, paths and trackways that coalesce in Santiago de Compostella. There are no rules and no-one is in charge.

If you wish to claim a Compostella, issued by the Pilgrims Office on behalf of the Diocese of the Cathedral that evidences that you made pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago the Apostle, then you need to go through the tedious and challenging process of collecting an entire 2 stamps per day during the last 100kms walked into the city.

If you wish to claim a Compostella, issued by the Pilgrims Office on behalf of the Diocese of the Cathedral that evidences that you made pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago the Apostle, then you need to go through the tedious and challenging process of collecting an entire 2 stamps per day during the last 100kms walked into the city.
👍😂
P.S. I always appreciate your serious side @Tincatinker, often combined with a bit of clever dry humor, thrown in for good measure.🙂

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry! I meant to write how many kms would I have to “walk”, not work!😆
You can walk one K every day for 100 days or you can walk 100 K in one day or anything in between. You must have at least 2 stamps for every day that you walk in the last 100 k. There is no max or min distance. This requirement only applies if you want a Compostela.

You get one at your albergue and you get one at a bar or church or another location along the way. You have to get two a day for the last 100km of whatever Camino route you take to Santiago - regardless of where you start. So - for the Frances - you might get 1 a day at your albergue from SJPDP to Sarria (but can get more if you want to) - but once you hit Sarria you have to start getting 2 a day. Why? Because that is the requirement. But it is truly easy! In fact there are a couple places that have a stamp literally next to the path so you can stamp as you walk. The distance between each stamp the last 100km doesn't matter if that is what you are asking. You only have to get 2 day each day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You get one at your albergue and you get one at a bar or church or another location along the way. You have to get two a day for the last 100km of whatever Camino route you take to Santiago - regardless of where you start. So - for the Frances - you might get 1 a day at your albergue from SJPDP to Sarria (but can get more if you want to) - but once you hit Sarria you have to start getting 2 a day. Why? Because that is the requirement. But it is truly easy! In fact there are a couple places that have a stamp literally next to the path so you can stamp as you walk. The distance between each stamp the last 100km doesn't matter if that is what you are asking. You only have to get 2 day each day.
Oh, ok, thanks!

Sorry for the late reply as I was off the forum for a while visiting my daughters. The Pilgrim office sets the requirements. Generally speaking, and I am sure others have better information the office requires 2 sellos in an attempt to insure that everyone walks the complete 100K into Santiago. As many others have posted it couldn't be easier to get sellos. The thing I worry about is I sometimes forget to get them. Since you only need one during the rest of your pilgrimage I know I will get a sello when I get to the albergue each day.

Reading through this thread and I have the clear message of walking the last 100 km and two stamps a day. But what happens with stamps if I take a rest day? Do I have to drag my aching body to the nearest two cafes? :oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sometimes, one wonders if the responders really don't understand a simple rule, or if they just try to be funny 🙄

Reading through this thread and I have the clear message of walking the last 100 km and two stamps a day. But what happens with stamps if I take a rest day? Do I have to drag my aching body to the nearest two cafes? :oops:
If this is a genuine question and you are worried that you may not get your Compostela when you have a rest day on the last 100 km and may not have the required sellos rest assured: You do not have to walk continuously day after day on the last 100 km stretch in Galicia. You can walk for one day, stop and even go home, come back later and walk for another day and stop again and so on. All you have to do in such a case: Get a stamp on the day and at the location where you stop and get another stamp at the same location on the day you start again.

They had thought of it. Enjoy your rest day(s). :cool:

See: Oficina del Peregrino website / The Compostala / "Se puede hacer el Camino por etapas" - "You can do the Way in stages"

Sometimes, one wonders if the responders really don't understand a simple rule, or if they just try to be funny 🙄
What’s the simple rule I have failed to understand?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If this is a genuine question and you are worried that you may not get your Compostela when you have a rest day on the last 100 km and may not have the required sellos rest assured: You do not have to walk continuously day after day on the last 100 km stretch in Galicia. You can walk for one day, stop and even go home, come back later and walk for another day and stop again and so on. All you have to do in such a case: Get a stamp on the day and at the location where you stop and get another stamp at the same location on the day you start again.

They had thought of it. Enjoy your rest day(s). :cool:

See: Oficina del Peregrino website / The Compostala / "Se puede hacer el Camino por etapas" - "You can do the Way in stages"
It was a genuine question. And thank you for your reply which clarifies it for me.
I would like to take a rest day and was genuinely concerned that a day without any stamps would invalidate my credencial.

I can now see that the rule is not “two stamps a day” but “two stamps a day on the days that you walk”

Thank you.

But it’s not “2 stamps per day”. It’s “2 stamps per day on the days that you walk” Sorry, but the simple rule is too simplistic, hence my question to clarify.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gently Pilgrims, gently.

All the Pilgrims Office ask is that you demonstrate a contiguous journey by obtaining (at least) two stamps per day as you walk the final (or first ever) 100kms into Santiago. I experienced not even a raised eyebrow when I presented a collection of 6 stamps for my time on that journey. Sarria to Santiago in 3 days nicely evidenced.

For a rest-day: get a stamp showing the date you arrived in Erewhon and a stamp showing the date you departed. Not difficult. Well, not difficult provided you aren't setting out at a time of the morning when no respectable priest, cafe owner or trinket seller would be out of bed. Guardia Civil posts are open 24 hours a day.

2 stamps per day after Sarria
If we're going to be pedantic about it then it's "two stamps a day over the last 100km" (not just Sarria) to qualify for a Compostela (200km if you cycle). In fact the credentials most people carry state the you should collect at least two stamps every day on the Camino.

The strapping thighed cycling nut who clutters my local bar from time to time has observed that he can comfortably cover 200km in a longish day - even with the inconvenience of stopping in order to obtain a stamp somewhere around the halfway point

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
You do not have to do anything. No "work" is required. You do not have to walk. You do not have to stay in Albergues. You do not have to collect stamps. Nothing is compulsory. Spain is a free and democratic country. The caminos are are an anarchic (literally) assemblage of roads, paths and trackways that coalesce in Santiago de Compostella. There are no rules and no-one is in charge.

I have gotten two stamps per day in the last 80km. Then we stopped for 3 days so we’d be fresh when entering Santiago. How do we document the 3 days we stay at the same place?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have gotten two stamps per day in the last 80km. Then we stopped for 3 days so we’d be fresh when entering Santiago. How do we document the 3 days we stay at the same place?
I think that you only need stamps on the days that you are actually walking.

You should get a stamp in the same place you've been staying the day you leave. You don't need to worry about the days when you don't walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
anybody done Morgade to Santiago in 24 hours
walking or cycling?

Many ultra-marathon runners and walkers would be more than capable of this with the right support. Centurion race-walkers would be doing the 100 km in around 12 hours to be on track for the 100 miles in 24 hours, but that would be on a flat track. So possible, but why, and I have no idea whether anyone has done it.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
my camino. my way
And welcome to the forum, @BernardK. I see that you joined the forum yesterday. Perhaps you did not notice that you are posting in a thread that was started over a year ago in April 2022 and has been lying dormant for 8 month since December 2022?

The forum member who started the thread will have arrived in Compostela by now and we don't know how she got there and how long it took.

There are a number of threads about "speed caminos". Use the forum tags or the search option, either the simple one or the advanced one. Have a look around and enjoy!

anybody done Morgade to Santiago in 24 hours
As @Kathar1na said, welcome to the forum!

Your question would be better asked on a separate thread, and it would be helpful if you gave some context, so you don't just get yes/no answers. My guess is that yes, someone has done that distance in 24 hours but I don't recall any forum members doing it, so you will get all "no" answers. Here is another thread about someone (not a forum member) who averaged 85 km over 8 days on the Camino.
my camino. my way
It is hard to know what you mean, and how it relates to the question you have asked.

Since this thread is old and we have veered off the original topic of qualifying for a credential, I will close the thread. Please feel to start a new thread instead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.