• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials for the Rota?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks - I went into Lisbon Cathedral yesterday to purchase some credentials for next years walk... I'm hoping to walk from Lisbon to Santiago next spring ... fingers crossed! :)

It got me thinking... do we need credential of any sort for the Rota Vicentina? Is there a certificate that we'll collect at the end? And even if we don't need to, would it be possible to still collect stamps along the way... or will folks be surprised at us asking? And is there a specific Portuguese equivalent credential that I could purchase?

I know that the walk is not about collecting stamps and getting a certificate but I love looking back at my credential and remembering all the places that we walked to and stayed at... I would like to be able to do this for the RV.

I'd welcome your thoughts :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, LesBrass,
There is no Rota Vicentina credential or anything like that. Maybe you should suggest that to the promoters! As far as stamps go, I know that in Portugal, like in Spain, most establishments have stamps that they use for business purposes. Only problem is that most of them aren't very decorative-- they just have the name, address, phone. When I walked from Lisbon in the early 2000s, I had to get stamps in all sorts of weird places since there was no pilgrim infrastructure at all. I got them from farmacias, post offices, cafes, etc, but as I said they were not among my more memorable collections of sellos!

Hi Les, here is the credential I used on the Rota Vicentina. Any one will do, but get it beforehand. As Laurie said, most businesses have a stamp, and they will apply it to your credential if you ask them nicely. When there was no stamp I wrote something in myself.
Jill
RotaVCredential.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting that you did that Jill. I guess if one were to walk from Sagres all the way to Santiago (or even to Lisbon or Porto) it would be nice to have a collection from the start, even if it were only to jog ones memory. As I walked North - South starting in Santiago do Cacem I didn't even think about having a document to stamp.

Thanks folks for the information. I think we will endeavour to collect stamps. @jsalt I love the notes and comments on yours! What a good idea, it makes the document totally personal... I might copy this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@LesBrass when are you planning on starting?
We're flying into Lisbon on the 7th October and I think we start walking on the 8th... I'm not at home and can't 100% remember if it was the 8th or 9th but we have 15 days from the 7th... and I'm really looking forward to it! :D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back