• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials in Porto

Shian

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal
I'll be starting my Camino in Porto. I read the credential can only be picked up during the week. Is that true? I was planning on starting on a weekend.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Shian. I am fairly sure that is not true. The cathedral is open every day, but the office is only open for credentials for a couple of hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon. You could order one from Ivar on this site, or you can get one from most albergues.

Hi Shian,
Can I ask how it went for you to get your credencial? I'm thinking to pick ours up from the Cathedral in Porto on a Sunday afternoon. Though I also understand that if you need to start without a credencial, you can just collect the sellos en-route and then transfer them to the credencial that you eventually obtain...
My camino will start in Valenca but I'll be flying into Porto, and assume it might be easier to get the credencial in the bigger centres?
Obrigado!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ana,

I have the same question; My camino will start in Valenca on Monday (in November) and I'll be flying into Porto on Sunday. I think, to being ready for camino It will be better to get the credencial in the Porto? What did you do?

Is there anyone know where get we get credencial in the Port even on sunday?

Hi Onur
I got the credencial on a Sunday at the catedral in Porto. I don't remember exactly what time I arrived, somewhere around mid-afternoon, and it was quick and easy, just a desk to the right of the entrance that had them.
Have a wonderful camino!

Very easy to get a credential before you leave home - numerous local pilgrim associations have them. But I always order mine from Ivar here - and he is very efficient at sending them out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Onur
I got the credencial on a Sunday at the catedral in Porto. I don't remember exactly what time I arrived, somewhere around mid-afternoon, and it was quick and easy, just a desk to the right of the entrance that had them.
Have a wonderful camino!

Thats great!! Thank you Ana.
Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you find São Bento Station in the centre of Porto you can see the Cathedral from there. Just go in the main entrance. Rather than paying for entry (they charge!!) just ask for the credencial. They have them ready stamped.
And if you find the São Bento Station in the centre of Porto, be sure to step inside and look around before heading on to the cathedral. It will be well worth a few additional minutes of your time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got mine at the cathedral on a weekend but I remember having to go back several times before the office next to the desk was open, and yes, it is a small desk inside the right side of the entrance with the tampon sitting on top. If you were cheeky enough you could probably open the desk drawer and take one, but I think you would spend the rest of your Camino in damnation under a black cloud like Joe Btfsply in the Lil' Abner comics.

What are the current opening times of the pelgrims desk in the Porto cathedral?
To get a credential and/or to get a stamp?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What are the current opening times of the pelgrims desk in the Porto cathedral?
To get a credential and/or to get a stamp?
The current hours are 9 am to 5:30 pm. In April they will be open an hour later. There is no specific Pilgrim's desk. You go to the same desk where people can buy tickets.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 085411.png

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back