• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
hallo everyone!!!! Sometimes I just want to write something so I can be connected with all of you .....I see your faces on the profile picture and it's like I know some of you :))))

anyway I have two questions, for the Portuguese way ( I will walk the last 120k in mid May) I will take my credential from Lisbon cathedral right ? Because i don't know if i remember right that last year i read that something changed with the credentials but again this might be a wrong memory hahahaha!!!!

also since I will be walking with my 9 month baby Santiago, I want him also to have his credential( I know it sounds stupid but would like that for my baby to have his first compostela) hahahah and take his stamps :) with they give me a compostela for the baby??? Just for fun so we can all thee have a compostela from that walk :)))

I will baptiz Santiago in Greece this summer and before that I want to take him to Santiago......I owe it to the way that gave me so many things and most important my baby.....
Can't wait to be back!!!!!!
Buen camino to everyone!!!!

Also for portugese people if they read this ....we will buy in Portugal a used back pack seat for the baby .....we have found many but around Porto area...,and my husband s family leaves near Lisbon so it's not possible to buy it now buse we don't have anyone to pick it up.......we will be there one week earlier and try to figure this thing out because it's important ........to have a nice walk We nee to buy this.....the normal carriers are not so good for long distances ....if any Portuguese person that leaves near Lisbon reads this and have a used back pack seat please contact me :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Angelki - yes you can get credenciales in Lisbon or here from the Forum Store if you wish to have them before you leave.

It is a really nice idea to have a Credencial in your baby's name and to collect sellos along the way. I think it is a great memento of the journey to take into adulthood. However as far as the Compostela is concerned the Cathedral of Santiago usually only issue compostelas to children who have made or are preparing for their First Communion. The usual practice with infants is to write their name on their parent's compostela.

Buen Camino

John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To avoid any hassle, I recently ordered 3 credencials from the store here in the forum. Received them in my mailbox in less than a week :)
Just wondering....how many spaces are there on each credencial ? I love this kind of thing and want collect as many sellos as I can so thinking I should order two? Thanks.

Just wondering....how many spaces are there on each credencial ? I love this kind of thing and want collect as many sellos as I can so thinking I should order two? Thanks.

Hi Charlotte, the credencial issued by the cathedral in Santiago (the one Ivor sells on this forum) has space for 47 sellos. I also like collecting sellos, I usually get two a day at least. and use two credencials for the Camino Frances. Order two, no problem!

Davey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Charlotte, the credencial issued by the cathedral in Santiago (the one Ivor sells on this forum) has space for 47 sellos. I also like collecting sellos, I usually get two a day at least. and use two credencials for the Camino Frances. Order two, no problem!

Davey
I suspected I should order two. Thank you Davey!

If you are starting in SJPdP you can get a second (different type) set at the pilgrim's office there. That's what I did in 2014 when I filled up two sets.
credentials 001.jpg

If you are starting in SJPdP you can get a second (different type) set at the pilgrim's office there. That's what I did in 2014 when I filled up two sets.
View attachment 31885
Wow those are SO cool!!! Yes, we are starting from SJPdP. So I take it the middle one is the one you get there? And the one on the bottom is the one available on the forum?
I can hardly wait to embark on this journey.
Thanks the info Mark.
Charlotte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow those are SO cool!!! Yes, we are starting from SJPdP. So I take it the middle one is the one you get there? And the one on the bottom is the one available on the forum?
I can hardly wait to embark on this journey.
Thanks the info Mark.
Charlotte
Yes, the middle one under the compostela is the one you get in SJPdP at the office, and the one under it is the one you get from this forum.
The one from SJPdP from the office has changed slightly (divided into squares for the stamps), and the one you get from here is different too, now and the compostela has a different design now. All different, but still very cool.
ultreia

Just a thought here, one I didn't think of on my camino. With two sets of credentials one can be kept with your national passport and used for your overnight stay (and second stamp a day when within the 100km zone.) The other can be kept easily available for churches, museums, bars, snack wagons, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am walking the France way in April. A few questions.

Should order my passport, or can I get when I arrive?

If buying after arrival, where do you get them?

I checked here on the forums and saw only an old passport, how do you get to the online store? Can't seem to get to it.

What is the difference between a Credintial or Pilgrims passport? Or are these the same thing?

I am walking the France way in April. A few questions.

Should order my passport, or can I get when I arrive?

If buying after arrival, where do you get them?

I checked here on the forums and saw only an old passport, how do you get to the online store? Can't seem to get to it.

What is the difference between a Credintial or Pilgrims passport? Or are these the same thing?

Good morning,
You can get one after you arrive. I guess the question is, Where are you starting from? Please, veterans, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can get them at any cathedral or Pilgrim's Office long the way? I am a compulsive planner, and just want one less thing to do after I get there. And, I can't wait to take a look at it. If you are starting from SJPdP you can get one at the Pilgrim's Office there. Thanks to Mark on this forum, I just learned that the one you get there is different than the one available on the forum (which is the one issued by the Cathedral in Santiago). Scroll up in this thread and click on his Attachment 31885 to see what they look like.

Click on the link at the top of the Forum page "Services in Santiago by Ivar" then scroll down a bit there is a link to the Camino Store and Pilgrim Passport.

I believe the credential is the same as the Pilgrim's passport.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Charlotte

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back