• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

credit and debit cards

justinefromaussie.7

Time of past OR future Camino
camino September 2015
Can anyone tell me if my visa debit card and mastercard credit card works all over the camino? In your experience which fees are higher for using either one of these cards. also are currency cards accepted throughout the Camino? Deciding which is best to use. Thankyou for any replies.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can anyone tell me if my visa debit card and mastercard credit card works all over the camino? In your experience which fees are higher for using either one of these cards. also are currency cards accepted throughout the Camino? Deciding which is best to use. Thankyou for any replies.
Hy , most of the albergues exept only cash.

Cash rules the Camino! So your cards will be needed to get money out of the ATMs and if you splurge on a posh hotel in one of the bigger cities. There was recently a longish thread about this whole topic, have a look here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-pay-for-goods-services-on-the-camino.30892/
Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can anyone tell me if my visa debit card and mastercard credit card works all over the camino? In your experience which fees are higher for using either one of these cards. also are currency cards accepted throughout the Camino?
There are ATMs regularly along the camino. Be sure you have a four-digit PIN, and inform your bank of your travel plans. Credit cards are useful only in hotels and large stores. The fees are about the same unless you withdraw cash with a credit card (again, you need your PIN), in which case fees are very high. You will not be able to use your credit card as you can in the USA, at nearly every retail operation. I don't think I ever saw an albergue that would take a credit card. They still operate out of a tin till, and hope for exact change. For six Euro, who can blame them?

I totally agree with Falcon, make sure to tell your card company about your travel plans and never use it an ATM if the bank is not open in case the machine eats your card...and it does happen more often than you'd want to believe. Devices that allow you to swipe your card are going the way of the dinosaurs in Europe, you obviously need a pin number to access your cash at an ATM, but a lot of the credit card readers for goods and services require a card with a microchip and that takes a unique 4 or 6 digit pin supplied to you by the card company. Always carry at least 300 euros with you especially on weekends. As a guy I keep my wallet in my front pocket, no self respecting pickpocket will go there, at least I hope not and it has worked well for me for more years than I wish to mention. Keep your money and cards with you at all times, in the shower, in your bed...just all of the time!

The answer to your question about fees can only be answered by your card company. Some charge a fee for each transaction, some begin charging interest the minute you make a transaction and some are more lenient. The problem is, if you are away for more than a month figuring out a way to keep up with your account and paying the bill.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pull 250 Euro, split it beteen two different pouches, wallets, or purses, one credit card in each place-you never know when an ATM will swallow your card on a Saturday afternoon, and go. When what you got goes below 50 Euro pull another 200 and Keep on Trucking! The card may be accepted in some restaurants but don't count on that!

Can anyone tell me if my visa debit card and mastercard credit card works all over the camino?
If mine do work, I don't see any reason why yours won'to_O In the larger towns there are many banks with ATMs to obtain cash. :)Also the larger supermarkets and shops will accept either card. Check for posters on the entrance doors/windows. In smaller villages you'll have to navigate with cash though; be prepared.:(

Check if your ATM card has the word 'plus' or 'cirrus' at the back. If so, check with your bank and make sure you get them to authorize it for withdrawal oversees. They usually earn from the exchange rate (which is not too bad for a 300 euro withdrawal) although I did encounter once a bank's atm machine that says it will tag a 3 euro service charge. Arghhh! Can't remember which bank but did recall it was a big bank. After that I tend to withdraw from smaller 'caja rural' smaller bank.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In 2013 my friend had a lot of trouble finding an ATM that would accept her MultiCurrency Cash Passport card, I was wondering if the reason could have been that it was a MasterCard one? I had the same style card in 2011 when it was with Visa and had no problems. I am planning my next Camino for this year and am looking at getting the card again but don't want to run into trouble accessing my money. Has anyone had trouble using a MasterCard in ATM's or perhaps she had a problem with her card? Thanks in advance.

We have only ever used a Mastercard (Euros only) and with no problem. It has a 4-digit pin. Our credit card is a Visa and we always make sure that the issuer knows where we are going, don't use it in ATMs and have it tagged as holiday expenses only (ie no white goods etc). We also use the Mastercard ATM checker to see where there are machines, which is very helpful. (Just found that one of our stop-over places this year has no machine within about 15kms :eek: so we will need to draw enough cash from the previous place.)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back