• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credit Card Quirkiness - Booking French Train Tickets Online

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I just scored a 42Euro 2nd Class seat on the 10.29am Paris/Montparnasse to Biarritz TGV on the 27th of August. Booked & paid by internet using my Visa Card.
I had just previously tried three times to book a iDTGV 2nd Class seat on the SAME TRAIN (it was cheaper at 36Euro) but had the same Visa Card declined three times.

This lends credence to the view that the French actively 'save' the more heavily discounted iDTGV fares for their own citizens and other selected nationals, by screening for the credit card's bank/country of issue.
Following advice to use a 'French' website to access the best available fares I booked through http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ using Google Chrome's browser based translation service to find my way around the site. Took a little time and patience but I got there.

I am aware that some forum members have had some success accessing these cheaper iDTGV fares using visa from a UK bank, or master card from Bank of America.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Your credit card company may decline foreign transactions when your current history is solely domestic purchases. It is part of their fraud prevention program. When you head for Spain, be sure to notify your credit card company of your travel dates, or your credit card may be useless! Ditto ATM card ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
JohnnieWalker said:
and cancel the milk and newspaper delivery :wink:
It's time for a new life mate, I've already cancelled and sold nearly everything.
I am one who believes that happiness (which I define as being 'contentment with fire') is best achieved by the accumulation of experience rather than assets.
The disposal of assets one collects when settled for a while therefore holds no terrors.
On the contrary it points towards great adventures ahead, in the construction of a new life.
I now see before me the museums and music of Amsterdam, street skating in Paris on a friday night http://www.pari-roller.com/index.php?p=101 , Sainte Chapelle and the Museum D'Orsay, the TGV ride down to the beaches of Biarritz, St Jean then the Camino, touring Santiago on a Segway, Barcelona FC and Gaudi, Shakespeare at the Globe and Chelsea FC at Stamford Bridge.
The view is misty after that but I see images of the South Island of New Zealand in their summer.

Wow, did I get off topic or what.
What a life this is we lead.
Thanks for the tips and advice guys.

gerardcarey said:
I just scored a 42Euro 2nd Class seat on the 10.29am Paris/Montparnasse to Biarritz TGV on the 27th of August. Booked & paid by internet using my Visa Card.
I had just previously tried three times to book a iDTGV 2nd Class seat on the SAME TRAIN (it was cheaper at 36Euro) but had the same Visa Card declined three times.

This lends credence to the view that the French actively 'save' the more heavily discounted iDTGV fares for their own citizens and other selected nationals, by screening for the credit card's bank/country of issue.
Following advice to use a 'French' website to access the best available fares I booked through http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ using Google Chrome's browser based translation service to find my way around the site. Took a little time and patience but I got there.

I am aware that some forum members have had some success accessing these cheaper iDTGV fares using visa from a UK bank, or master card from Bank of America.

I discovered the long hard way that the special IDTGV tickets are for French nationals only and the way the system blocks non French nationals from buying the tickets is trapping non French credit cards.

jirit said:
... IDTGV tickets are for French nationals only and the way the system blocks non French nationals from buying the tickets is trapping non French credit cards.

Wrong!
Read the fine prints!

CONDITIONS GENERALES DE VENTE iDTGV:

Les modes de paiement acceptés sont :

-les cartes de paiement émises en France par les réseaux Carte Bleue, EUROCARD MASTERCARD et VISA ;
-les cartes de paiement émises en Union Européenne, aux Etats Unis, en Andorre, en Suisse, à Monaco et au Liechtenstein par les réseaux EUROCARD, MASTERCARD et VISA ;

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Canuck said:
jirit said:
... IDTGV tickets are for French nationals only and the way the system blocks non French nationals from buying the tickets is trapping non French credit cards.

Wrong!
Read the fine prints!

CONDITIONS GENERALES DE VENTE iDTGV:

Les modes de paiement acceptés sont :

-les cartes de paiement émises en France par les réseaux Carte Bleue, EUROCARD MASTERCARD et VISA ;
-les cartes de paiement émises en Union Européenne, aux Etats Unis, en Andorre, en Suisse, à Monaco et au Liechtenstein par les réseaux EUROCARD, MASTERCARD et VISA ;

Thanks!

Nice information to know now, but it would be great if the SNCF site and office actually made this information readily available to the non French national/ non eu user. Could never find this information on the actual sncf site. Even when my repeated attempts to process the transaction with my canadian credit cards, there was no information on help screens. Even after repeated emails to their office, they provided no such information, actually suggesting as a canadian credit card user the transaction should have worked. I even contacted another person based in Paris who has a website on booking and traveling by train in france, who was unaware of these conditions.

Most people had come the conclusion that these types of tickets were off limits for select individuals.

So it seems you are one of the few that knows about this quirky credit card requirement for these tickets!

Obviously Canadian and australian credit cards are no welcomed for some strange reason as least when booking these types of tickets. (I also heard from selected us nationals that selected us credit cards also did work btw)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back