• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credit Cards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The chip and PIN system is the dominant card payment platform in most European commercial venues, but some do still accept the swipe. However, many establishments have been phasing out the swipe capability. My advise is try to get all your money cards (credit/debit) issued with the chip.

I have a brand new terminal that I use for those who pay for the luggage storage here in Santiago. It comes with both... I usually try chip first.. if that does not work, then we swipe and sign (as before). I think most terminals have both, but the chip is definitely what is used more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a brand new terminal that I use for those who pay for the luggage storage here in Santiago. It comes with both... I usually try chip first.. if that does not work, then we swipe and sign (as before). I think most terminals have both, but the chip is definitely what is used more.
All my US-issued credit cards have been reissued with chips; however, here in the US the chip cards generally require verification by signature, not by PIN. Has that been a problem in Spain (or other areas of Europe) that generally look for PIN verification?

All my US-issued credit cards have been reissued with chips; however, here in the US the chip cards generally require verification by signature, not by PIN. Has that been a problem in Spain (or other areas of Europe) that generally look for PIN verification?
My cards are with chip and pin, that is mostly used in Europe.
I also must tell You that I'm from the EU.
Wish you well, Peter.

With my machine, when I put in a card from the US (using the chip) it just prints out a slip that the card holder must sign. No problem. You might find that some places will ask you for ID to make sure the signature is you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With my machine, when I put in a card from the US (using the chip) it just prints out a slip that the card holder must sign. No problem. You might find that some places will ask you for ID to make sure the signature is you.
Thanks, Ivar. That's pretty much what I expected, and is the way my swipe cards have worked in the past when in Europe.

I remember that in the past some people have had prblems with their PIN. If you have a 6 digit PIN you need to ask to have it changed to a 4 digit PIN. This might then have to be changed back when you get home although our card provider says that it is OK to simply add two zeros to the end of the number.

Is this still correct Ivar?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I'm from the US and have used a credit card quite a bit in Spain over the past year and this is exactly how it worked for me. They would insert the card, ask if I wanted to pay in Euro or USD (answer: Euro), and the receipt would print out for signature. Easy peasy!

I remember that in the past some people have had prblems with their PIN. If you have a 6 digit PIN you need to ask to have it changed to a 4 digit PIN. This might then have to be changed back when you get home although our card provider says that it is OK to simply add two zeros to the end of the number.

Is this still correct Ivar?
I think (not sure) that the 6 number pins are on older US cards? I have never come across anyone trying to pay with a 6 pin code... I think it is one of those things that used to be a problem, but is slowly going away...

Can both "chip" and "swipe" cards be used in France and Spain?
Just returned from the Camino de Santiago and used a swipe debit and chip credit cards. Never had a problem at ATM's, hotels, ship, or any other venues in SJPdP, SdC, Madrid, Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes, or Marseilles. With the exception of the ATM's, everyone had a dual-method charge machine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just to reiterate - be pro-active and ask to be charged in Euros -- a couple of places charged me in dollars -- one reversed it, but it was a hassle, the other I failed to notice until I was away from the front desk. There usually are fees added to the conversion rate.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Can both "chip" and "swipe" cards be used in France and Spain?
Something to consider is that the Camino is predominately a cash economy...so, don't make plans on using the card outside of the larger cities. Consider bringing a prepaid cash travel cards. American Express, Visa, Master Card offer these - find the one with no fees, lowest charges, etc.. I didn't and wished I had. Have a great time.

Just to reiterate - be pro-active and ask to be charged in Euros -- a couple of places charged me in dollars -- one reversed it, but it was a hassle, the other I failed to notice until I was away from the front desk. There usually are fees added to the conversion rate.
That's really good to know, I've iften been asked if I wanted to be charged in local currency or Australian dollars, but didn't know whether it made a difference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting about the travel cash cards. Can they be purchased is US dollars and used in ATMs on the camino to get euros?

Finding a travel cash card without unreasonable fees is a challenge for Americans. I don't know what's available in other countries, but I have yet to see one available in the US that was a good deal. For most people, using their regular ATM/debit card is the best bet.

Our Canadian credit card also has the "tap" feature but it only seemed to work on purchases lower than €40 but that may simply be because we didn't set anything up in advance with our bank. Very quick and handy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back