• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crime on the Camino

Fintryroamer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, camino portuguese
Hi,
Just want to warn folk that someone tried to rob me just outside ponte de Lima last week. He is a guy on a scooter, came right in close and tried to get my backpack off my back. He failed and then accelerated away. I would say there is some one or a group of people doing this, it was planned. His face was covered. So be careful and aware

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the warning. Frightening thought that there are actually people out there operating in this way.

Best thing is to carry all your valuables around your neck (passport, money, etc.) in a small hold-all that you can hide underneath your top. And a backpack that ties to your waist would be best to deter would-be thieves. I also carried a whistle - although that was to deter dogs as we were on bikes rather than people. A sharp, loud shrill whistle should startle any would-be thief off pretty sharpish. It's too easy when you're walking along lost in your thoughts to look like a possible target.

Hi,
Just want to warn folk that someone tried to rob me just outside ponte de Lima last week. He is a guy on a scooter, came right in close and tried to get my backpack off my back. He failed and then accelerated away. I would say there is some one or a group of people doing this, it was planned. His face was covered. So be careful and aware
I'm sorry to hear this. It makes me really angry.
I wish that guy did it to me. He would have probably pondered more than twice before doing it again to someone else. I'm not going to be gentle to these guys if I should ever run into some.
Please report the incident to the local police.
Don't let this episode put you down. Enjoy your journey.
Thanks and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
Just want to warn folk that someone tried to rob me just outside ponte de Lima last week.

Thanks for the heads up Fintryroamer. Why someone would try to take a backpack that presumably is fitted and worn correctly with straps, belts and all is pretty risky for the thief let alone quite impractical.

It is probably a bit late now but if you have mobile telecommunications please call the emergency number in Portugal which is 112 and report any crime attempt to Police.

Reporting crime alerts the police in the area aware that something is happening on their watch and for all you know, they may even have a very good idea who the criminal is or where to look for him or her. If crime is not reported, the criminal get away free to try again on someone else.

When we walked the Portugeuse Camino in 2017, a Police presence was notiticable in parts and on two occasions the police actually stopped and asked us if everything was OK. When I'm walking (as opposed to driving), I'm always happy to chat to police. :)

If you are looking for personal safety information whilst in Portugal you could try the not for profit, volunteer run;

As Gabe_way suggests, please don't let this episode put you off walking in Portugal or distract you from enjoying your journey.

Cheers

Graham

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back