• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Critique my packing list?

S

sjf

I leave unbelievably early on Monday, arrive in Lugo Tuesday, and will walk Wednesday - Sunday. I’m bringing the absolute minimum, but would love feedback on what’s unnecessary and what’s missing from my list. Thanks for any responses!

Clothing:
Underwear, 2 pairs. Wear one, carry one.
Leggings (Tech fabric, capri length), 1 pair
Running compression shorts (tech fabric, longer length,, will alternate with leggings)
Macabi knee-length skirt, will wear every day over leggings/shorts. I have 2 of these and had planned to bring one, but am now considering bringing both.
Sports bras, 2, Wear one, carry one
Socks: smart wool running socks, 3 pairs.
Silk sock liners, 2 pairs
Trail running shoes (these make my feet happy and are perfectly broken in)
3 running T-shirts (tech fabric, wear one, sleep in one, carry the sleeping shirt and the washed one)
1 long-sleeved tech material sweatshirt thing. It’s a yoga top, very light and warm, but has a large cutout across the back. I’m reconsidering this one. I love it, but I might not need it. Or I might do better with a long-sleeved running tee. The reason I picked the yoga shirt is it’s designed to layer, while the running tees are not and with 75-80 degree temps, I think I might get more use out of a sweatshirt.
Long-sleeve cotton, washable blouse for evening/dinners. Will wear with skirt.
Fleece jacket - with the current temps, do I still need this? Or is my sweatshirt enough? Or should I just go get a light windbreaker and replace both the fleece and the poncho?
Rain poncho

For sleeping, I was planning to use the extra tee and my shorts/leggings. Will I want an extra pair of shorts/pants for bedtime?

Other stuff:
Lightweight sleeping bag
Toothbrush, paste, deodorant, comb, shampoo, shower gel, tweezers, blister bandages, earplugs, safety pins
Glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, case, 3-oz bottle solution
One hair tie
Hat
Small notebook, 2 pens
Phone, charger, running watch, charger.
Nescafé single serving tubes, 5 (I have a serious caffeine habit, these will go in water and get me through to cafes)
Snacks (6 larabars, 3 running gels, also with caffeine)
Earbuds
Credencial

What am I missing?
And what don’t I need?

I’m a,so tempted to add a bible (can probably download one to my phone) and prayerbook and maybe a novel or Brierly (I have the wise pilgrim app downloaded)

Edited to add: a pair of crocs (not the giant ones) for evenings/showers. And sunscreen (small tube), moisturizer, lip balm. I think that’s everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1 macabi only
Leave sock liners at home
Leave 1 tshirt behind. Wear the sleeping one the next day.
Choose 1 light long sleeve, either the T or the shirt, not both.
Pick yoga sweater or fleece (not sure about the cut out in the back being useful).
Leave the snacks behind.
For sleeping, shorts of leggings will be fine.

I agree with all of Anemone’s good advice. Definitely do not need 2 macabi skirts.:)
The mornings will be cool. At this moment it is 7 am in Lugo and it is 6 degrees C or 43 degrees F.
You’ve left a towel off the list but I’m guessing that’s just an oversight. ;)
Not long to go now! Buen camino, peregrina.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suggest bringing some Advil.

Do you require any medications? Anything that flares up?
— medication for cramps
—asthma inhaler?
—tums?

Pharmacies over here are great but have that special item that could be the difference between misery and feeling good.

Soap, conditioner? Just a little of each.

Agree with all the suggestions above.

I would leave the sweatshirt and bring a lightweight fleece. The evenings and mornings can be very cool even in the summer and will definitely be chilly this time of year. You will be happy for the comfort of this layer.

Tecarta bible app can be added to phone.

2 pair of everything but jackets and footwear. No more, no less.

Lose the silk socks. No need.

Sleep in next day's clothes so you are ready to go in the morning, save time and weight.

One skirt.

Oct/Nov will need some warm outer wear. 1 warm jacket, 1 warm sweater. Remember, you are a furnace when walking and all you need is enough to ensure you do not get cold.

If sports watch usually needs a charger, seel if you can find a cable that will do the same job from a USB charger (2 or 3 outlets so everything can be charged at once.

1 small dry bag for all electronics.

Even after getting your pack down to the lowest you think it can go, next goal is to lose 5 lb. Your back and feet will thank you with many miles of much easier times.

Finally, here is one that messed me up bad. I am overweight. I was carrying much more weight than I should have on the Camino. This is all about your health, physical and mental because extra pounds involve both. If needed, address this one before everything else.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just have a nagging feeling that it seems an awful lot for five days walking, but you're the one who has to carry it all.
Ultreïa.

Ok, I’m packed. And it comes in at just under 10 lbs. I ditched the second skirt and sock liners, traded out the poncho for a water-resistant windbreaker that weighs nothing and adds warmth, gave up most of the snacks, and added 6 Tylenol. Oh, and the towel. I had actually forgotten about it. I’m pleased because the bag is under 10 pounds, even with my heavier running shoes packed. I’ll travel in my crocs which weigh very little, and when I walk, I should be barely over 9 pounds :)

It sounds good. But at that weight, put the poncho back in! And you'll add those snacks again when you get there.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I leave unbelievably early on Monday, arrive in Lugo Tuesday, and will walk Wednesday - Sunday. I’m bringing the absolute minimum, but would love feedback on what’s unnecessary and what’s missing from my list. Thanks for any responses!

Clothing:
Running compression shorts (tech fabric, longer length,, will alternate with leggings)
Macabi knee-length skirt, will wear every day over leggings/shorts. I have 2 of these and had planned to bring one, but am now considering bringing both.
3 running T-shirts (tech fabric, wear one, sleep in one, carry the sleeping shirt and the washed one)
1 long-sleeved tech material sweatshirt thing. It’s a yoga top, very light and warm, but has a large cutout across the back. I’m reconsidering this one. I love it, but I might not need it. Or I might do better with a long-sleeved running tee. The reason I picked the yoga shirt is it’s designed to layer, while the running tees are not and with 75-80 degree temps, I think I might get more use out of a sweatshirt.
Fleece jacket - with the current temps, do I still need this? Or is my sweatshirt enough? Or should I just go get a light windbreaker and replace both the fleece and the poncho?
Rain poncho

For sleeping, I was planning to use the extra tee and my shorts/leggings. Will I want an extra pair of shorts/pants for bedtime?

Other stuff:
Lightweight sleeping bag
Toothbrush, paste, deodorant, comb, shampoo, shower gel, tweezers, blister bandages, earplugs, safety pins
One hair tie
Hat
Small notebook, 2 pens
Nescafé single serving tubes, 5 (I have a serious caffeine habit, these will go in water and get me through to cafes)
Earbuds
Credencial

What am I missing?
And what don’t I need?

I’m a,so tempted to add a bible (can probably download one to my phone) and prayerbook and maybe a novel or Brierly (I have the wise pilgrim app downloaded)

Edited to add: a pair of crocs (not the giant ones) for evenings/showers. And sunscreen (small tube), moisturizer, lip balm. I think that’s everything.
It sounds god
Good. But at that weight, put the poncho back in! And you'll add those snacks again when you get there.

I walked this route last year and my blog is Ourwayportuguesecaminho.wordpress.com. I took a pair of pantyhose with me and they were incredibly useful as they definitely help on those slightly chilly evenings. Also a silk scarf as it kept my neck nice and warm. This sounds ridiculous to take for someone who did not even take a hair brush or comb. You can look at what I took on my blog, there is an initial list and at at the end of the blog actually what I carried. I took a very light nightie as the idea of sleeping in my clothes does not appeal at all, and when one walks from the shower to your bedroom it is useful. Also a light sarong is great as you can use it to give oneself a bit of privacy if you are sleeping on the bottom bunk. So I took: My bag including contents weighed 10 lbs, about 4.5 kgs. Sunhat is necessary and I would only take 2 tee shirts. I wore a long sleeved heat/sun resistant top and only took 1!!! Never wore a tee shirt to walk in. Washed every evening which was not a problem at all. I took a portable clothes line which was fantastic and never used the safety pins! Took no snacks as these are heavy and you can buy stuff along the way. Lip balm was wonderful. No one mentions this, BUT because you sweat so much the part between your bum can get sore because it rubs and can get red and sore so a little vaseline does the trick!! Sorry about that but it is very important. Good luck and have a fantastic time. Happy to give any other advice!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Clothing:
Rain poncho

Other stuff:
Lightweight sleeping bag
One hair tie
Hat
Small notebook, 2 pens
Earbuds
Credencial

What am I missing?
And what don’t I need?

Looks like a lot. Is this more than 10% your body weight? If so, I'd leave some of it behind.

Looks like a lot. Is this more than 10% your body weight? If so, I'd leave some of it behind.
The OP has stated:
Ok, I’m packed. And it comes in at just under 10 lbs. I ditched the second skirt and sock liners, traded out the poncho for a water-resistant windbreaker that weighs nothing and adds warmth, gave up most of the snacks, and added 6 Tylenol. Oh, and the towel. I had actually forgotten about it. I’m pleased because the bag is under 10 pounds, even with my heavier running shoes packed. I’ll travel in my crocs which weigh very little, and when I walk, I should be barely over 9 pounds :)

No need to double up on things like pens. You can buy them on the Camino. Spain is a modern country!

Three t-shirts is too much.

You could ditch the notepad and use an app. That way you could leave both pens at home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always carry a pen for filling in forms during international flights (there always seems to be a form!) - a small one that fits beside my credential in the nice little plastic pocket supplied by @ivar in the forum shop.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.