• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Croagh Patrick Mayo Ireland. Pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow, just incredible. I did this climb back in 1989, and I remember it as a lot greener. But what stands out the most, is the line and amount of people on trail. When I went up, there was hardly anyone around so much so that I stripped down at the top. I was hot!
Reek Sunday is one time a year faithful pilgrims make the journey that's why there are so many people. The truly faithful do it in barefeet.

I did a tour of Ireland by car in 2014 and had read about Croagh Patrick. (It wasn't until a year later that I heard of the "Camino"). We parked in the lot below and for a mini afternoon adventure and attempted the climb. It was sunny and we only saw a couple of people pass us as we set off. It wasn't long before we could see dark ominous clouds coming in from the direction we were heading and it started raining. It was very disappointing to turn back, but the other two people disappeared in the clouds and obviously kept going.
It is amazing now to see this awesome video!...I had no idea what beauty was ahead of us if the weather hadn't changed so drastically.

It was very disappointing to turn back, but the other two people disappeared in the clouds and obviously kept going.
It is amazing now to see this awesome video!...I had no idea what beauty was ahead of us if the weather hadn't changed so drastically.
Amazing video!!

When I climbed it in August 2020, a couple of days after Reek Sunday, on a whim, as I was actually headed for Achill Island, it was almost deserted because of covid restrictions. Starting out in blazing sunshine, the clouds came in halfway up, followed by the rain. At the plateau visibility was non existent and wet through, I considered myself defeated when the skies suddenly started to clear again. I persevered and made the final push to the summit to be rewarded with glorious views, and only a handful of us up there but wonderful comraderie, exhilaration at our shared achievement.

I read on this forum recently, how the initial descent has been compared to the path down from Cruz de Ferro. I would agree, sort of, but it's much more exposed, much steeper. How the truly devout can do this in their bare feet is beyond me...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Flog, thanks for sharing your personal experience. Yes, it surely looks very exposed on the video; a big surprise as we had no indication as we headed up that the walk would have evolved into what it actually is. We had not studied ahead of time anything about it, but only stopped on a whim.

Me too!!
Yes, right from sea level it begins tough enough, then there is a 'shoulder' where it levels out for quite a bit before the really steep and loose climb to the summit. I wasn't particularly well prepared apart from a (useless) wind cheater, good boots, a stick and a bottle of water, but it was all the more rewarding for it!

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.