• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crocs or sandals?

oldhat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May-June 2016)
I'm currently debating whether to bring Crocs or walking sandals (Tevo) as my second pair of footwear for a May/June Camino.

Both are waterproof and therefore can be used as shower footwear. Crocs are more comfortable (IMHO--I've never been much of a sandals guy) but sandals would likely be better for walking if I need a spell away from the boots (likely ankle-high Merrill Moabs).

Thoughts?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had the same dilemma before my CF having listened to a lot of advice from the forum I made the decision to take walking sandals (Teva Lite). I'm so glad that I did because I ended up with a blister on my little toe, to help this dry out I wore my sandals for about 4/5 days. What a relief they gave me, I now swear by Teva Sandals, so comfortable and strong over some very rough terrain.

Make the decision based on weight. IF you are needing a pair of walking around and shower shoes you may also consider some 7oz walking shoes and some 2oz shower shoes.

I'm currently debating whether to bring Crocs or walking sandals (Tevo) as my second pair of footwear for a May/June Camino.

Both are waterproof and therefore can be used as shower footwear. Crocs are more comfortable (IMHO--I've never been much of a sandals guy) but sandals would likely be better for walking if I need a spell away from the boots (likely ankle-high Merrill Moabs).

Thoughts?

After much research and advice, we are both taking Teva sandals for trekking when it's raining (keeping our trail shoes dry), as Waka says to help with blister relief, and also for showers and to wear at the end of the day. They seem to tick all the boxes for us. If you do decide to go with sandals, make sure you wear them in before you go. We found ours took some getting used to. We may even wear toe socks in the wet..........

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I gave up on my beloved crocs for a new sandals called xeroshoes they are great it goes with my new thing barefoot running (no I'm not walking the camino barefoot) but its durable enough that if I had to I could

zzotte

Tevas are made of ribbon that stay wet. Crocs don't. Amd crocs are just fine for walk 98% of the CF.

Crocks all the way : they weigh like nothing and feel great after a long day on the Camino and are great for the shower or a midnight trip to the loo !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I prefer flip-flops (Havaianas) over crocs, but to keep on the topic, I'd certainly have the rubber option as a second pair, as it could work for shower as well.

I've tried both. The crocs were comfortable and super-light, but I found them a bit sweaty for walking around in the evenings. I prefer the open-toe sandals, especially when I have blisters.

Thoughts?
Maybe flippers from all the stories of flooding I have been following!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Teva are my choice, not only are they great for evenings but also I wear them for at least an hour each day to give my feet a rest from boots and for different pressure points.

My second footwear are Crocs. Use also in showers. And they are super light although not so easily compressed for packing.

Rubber deck shoes...when your feet can't tolerate your normal walking shoes...at least you can hike in these shoes...and they even like water.
SWIMS-Men-s-Rubber-and-Mesh-Boat-Shoes-12-4.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I gave up on my beloved crocs for a new sandals called xeroshoes they are great it goes with my new thing barefoot running (no I'm not walking the camino barefoot) but its durable enough that if I had to I could

zzotte
Hi Zzotte, I wonder...are these Xerisoes? Xeri, being Greek for ' dry'.

If you weigh both pairs of footwear, I think you will find the Crocs weigh less.

It has been said that one pound on the back translates to five pounds of force at the ankles and feet. The little amounts DO add up. So you need to watch the fractional bits.

Also, the Crocs, if worn in a shower or on a rainy day, will dry faster than the nylon webbing or leather trim on most sandals.

On balance, if you are not planning to walk the Camino in the sandals or Crocs, but are planning to use them primarily for shower, lounge, or tourist purposes, I would opt for the Crocs. I do.

In 2014, I picked up a pair of BRIGHT Wasabi green Crocs in Leon. The color matched my overall livery, and people could see me coming from a block away. On Camino, most style sense is optional anyway...I mean who really cares?

Final point, it is highly unlikely that anyone will "misappropriate" my Crocs though accident or intention, as the color is so unique. "Borrowing" footwear does occur in some places. I experienced this second-hand with several folks I have walked with over the years. It is not rampant, but where and when it occurs, footwear usually goes missing from the communal boot shelves or racks that many albergues use near the entrance to keep the inside of the facility cleaned. So, I recommend you consider color if you have not yet bought Crocs or sandals.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No its Xero as zero or nothing on your feet spin you can see it at xeroshoes dot com
I pick up Crock knock offs for about €6-10 on the Camino, then leave them when I go home.
Thanks for all the info on crocs vs. sandals! Are croc knock-offs really readily available on the Camino?? And are they essentially the same comfort and quality as real Crocs? Sounds too good to be true; I've always loved crocs |(and Teva Sandals too!)

Thanks for all the info on crocs vs. sandals! Are croc knock-offs really readily available on the Camino?? And are they essentially the same comfort and quality as real Crocs? Sounds too good to be true; I've always loved crocs |(and Teva Sandals too!)

I don't find them any different in regards to Crocs. I find them in the "China stores" (like Dollar Stores) in the larger villages along the route.

No its Xero as zero or nothing on your feet spin you can see it at xeroshoes dot com
Makes sense. I'm an ardent gardener and while building my own, using the Xeriscaping method, I found many garden suppliers were incorrectly using the term 'Zeroscaping'.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
I must add that my camo crocks did not make any awards in style, especially spending a week in Madrid after Camino. Yet I still wear them everywhere as they are a reminder of how little our needs are.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you weigh both pairs of footwear, I think you will find the Crocs weigh less.

It has been said that one pound on the back translates to five pounds of force at the ankles and feet. The little amounts DO add up. So you need to watch the fractional bits.

Also, the Crocs, if worn in a shower or on a rainy day, will dry faster than the nylon webbing or leather trim on most sandals.

On balance, if you are not planning to walk the Camino in the sandals or Crocs, but are planning to use them primarily for shower, lounge, or tourist purposes, I would opt for the Crocs. I do.

In 2014, I picked up a pair of BRIGHT Wasabi green Crocs in Leon. The color matched my overall livery, and people could see me coming from a block away. On Camino, most style sense is optional anyway...I mean who really cares?

Final point, it is highly unlikely that anyone will "misappropriate" my Crocs though accident or intention, as the color is so unique. "Borrowing" footwear does occur in some places. I experienced this second-hand with several folks I have walked with over the years. It is not rampant, but where and when it occurs, footwear usually goes missing from the communal boot shelves or racks that many albergues use near the entrance to keep the inside of the facility cleaned. So, I recommend you consider color if you have not yet bought Crocs or sandals.

I hope this helps.

You have me concerned. Is there a problem with losing my hiking footwear from a communal site at the entrance to Alberques?

As I am always looking for another solution to the weight issue, and for another clever "gadget" or item of gear, I checked out the Xero shoes and sandals (mentioned above by zzotte) at: http://xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-products/ztrek-men/

I noted, in reviewing the company's specifications, that they claim a per-shoe weight of 6.5 ounces for the Amuri Z-Trek sandal, at US size 9 for men. That is 13 ounces per pair. I have no way to estimate the weight for size 11 or 12, except to surmise that it is greater than the size 9. However, extrapolation is imprecise with shoe sizes, so I will not try it.

So, my evaluation, by way of comparison with this "typical" sport sandal style of footwear, my:
  • Size 11, Ecco "typical" sport sandals weigh 27 ounces (753 grams) for the pair.
  • Size 12, Crocs, in Wasabi Green, weigh 17.8 ounces (506 grams) for the pair.
Ounce-to-ounce, if you are intent on wearing sport sandals, the Xero Z-Trek might be something to consider. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT! It is a suggestion, based on the available information. I have NO direct experience with these sandals. Personally, and as a stout fellow, weighing about 111 Kg, I think they might be too lightweight for me. But, others of you might be able to use them.

Xero also make a very lightweight, flip-flop style sandal, with a toe-bar (cord) that is intended for barefoot running. They offer two styles. The design is interesting and looks to be solid, certainly more than the molded polyethylene, cheap flip-flops we have all worn at one time or another.

For a pair of man's size 9, they weigh:
  • Amuri "Cloud" - 9.2 ounces
  • Amuri "Venture" (Lightweight Performance Recreation Sandal) - weighs about 11 ounces (see NOTE) .
NOTE: I cannot find a weight specified anywhere on the site. So, I assess they likely weigh about 11 ounces all-in, more than the 9.2 ounces for the Cloud and less than the 13 ounces for the Z-Trek sandal.

As before, my evaluation, by way of comparison with this lighter weight, shower / beach style of footwear, my:
  • Top Over Strap, Shower Slides, Size 12, weigh 285 grams or 10.1 ounces for the pair ( I bought these in St. Jean Pied de Port in 2014. They are very comfortable for shower use or lounging, but not for hiking.
  • Flip-Flops, basic, green, Size 12, weigh 248 grams or 8.7 ounces for the pair. These are the very cheap flip-flops suitable for beach or shower wear. I would not wear them for casual / tourist use.
Also, this year, I bought a pair of Telic (www.telic.com), American made, foam "flip-flops." They are VERY supportive and molded to my feet. These, I CAN recommend to my colleagues on the forum. At US men's size 12 (46) they weigh 306 grams, or 10.8 ounces for the PAIR. I regard these as a definite FIND.

So, there you have it. To summarize, arrayed by weight:

Sport Sandals (pair):
  • Xero Amuri Z-Trek (size 9) - 13 ounces (Note: size/weight disparity)
  • Croc (size 12/46) - 17.7 ounces
  • Ecco (size 11.5 /45) - 27 ounces
Based on the available information, the Crocs may weigh about the same as the Xero Z-Trek sandals in the same size. This is just an informed guess on my part. If anyone has a pair in a larger men's size, please contribute the pair weight in ounces and grams if you can.

Flip-flop style sandals or shower shoes:
  • Generic "beach" flip-flops (size 12/46) - 8.7 ounces
  • Xero Amuri Cloud (size 9/39) - 9.2 ounces (Note: size/weight disparity)
  • Shower Slides (size 12/46) - 10.1 ounces
  • Telic flip-flops (size 12/46) - 10.8 ounces
  • Xero Amuri Venture (size 9/39) - @ 11 ounces (Note: size/weight disparity)
It appears, based on this comparison, that the Xero shoes may lose their lightweight standing, once the same sizes are available for wright comparison. They MAY be more durable as they are designed for barefoot running and they have an outstanding warranty. but, it appears that for casual use in showers, or for lounging in a cafe at the end of the day, there are other, less expensive, lightweight options.

I hope this helps.

You have me concerned. Is there a problem with losing my hiking footwear from a communal site at the entrance to Alberques?

I would not say it is a definite problem. What I stated (restated here using other words) was that on rare occasions, someone who feels they need your boots/ shoes more than you might, REPEAT MIGHT, take them. It happens...

The Camino, writ large, is very safe. The problems that do occur relate mostly to nuisance things like this. The occasional clothing item or towel disappears from a communal clothesline. A personal item left lying on a bunk "goes walkabout." Electrical adapter plugs an chargers get left behind and sometimes disappear.

But, hospitaleros are, as a group, very helpful. I have seen them place valuables in taxis to get them to the albergue in the next town so the pilgrim who lost the passport, credential, or other item can be reunited with the item. Do not worry. But, also, do not be overly attached to material items.

The Camino attracts all manner of people. That is the nature of the undertaking. In my experience 99.9 percent of all pilgrims are honest, diligent, caring and helpful people. But, we ARE talking about human nature here. One must undertake the Camino with their eyes wide open and not leaving all their street smart behind, at home.

Ideas I can offer to lessen the likelihood that YOUR footwear will be interesting to another person include:
  • Do not place your boots/shoes at eye height on the communal rack. Place them so eyes are not drawn to them.
  • Tie your shoelaces together so someone cannot slip the shoes on without taking extra time to untie them.
  • With #2 above, loop the laces through the rack to "tie" the boots to the rack. It is not a lock, but is a deterrent.
  • In 2014, at Roncesvalles, I actually saw someone use a small luggage lock to connect their two boots together using two eyelets. At the time, I thought this a very clever idea...just sayin...
On the other hand, last year, on the coastal route from Porto, a walked with a fellow who had his beloved long-term owned, resoled forever, work issued boots "borrowed" from the boot rack an albergue at Ponte de Lima. They were there when he went in in the evening, and gone when he awoke the next morning. He wore his auxiliary sports sandals on Camino, until he reached a larger town with a good shoe store where he bought a replacement pair of hiking footwear. It does happen, but not to everyone, and not on a regular basis.

Do not be paranoid. In the unlikely chance you do lose something you need, there are outdoor shops all along the Camino. There are Decathlon sports department stores at Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada. Footwear can be replaced. I regularly buy clothing when I determine I forgot something, or something gets misplaced.

I note that other forum members with FAR more experience than me often state that one should not bring anything on Camino that you cannot afford to lose. The above discussion touches on this point. Your stuff does not define you. In my case, my adopted color scheme sort of does, but I digress...

That is why we all recommend bringing a zip lock bag, containing all your valuables and electronics into the shower stall with you. Never be separated from the impossible, or really hard to replace items.

This is also, anecdotally, why some folks state that it is possible to do the Camino with the clothes on your back and lots of money...

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would not say it is a definite problem. What I stated (restated here using other words) was that on rare occasions, someone who feels they need your boots/ shoes more than you might, REPEAT MIGHT, take them. It happens...

The Camino, writ large, is very safe. The problems that do occur relate mostly to nuisance things like this. The occasional clothing item or towel disappears from a communal clothesline. A personal item left lying on a bunk "goes walkabout." Electrical adapter plugs an chargers get left behind and sometimes disappear.

But, hospitaleros are, as a group, very helpful. I have seen them place valuables in taxis to get them to the albergue in the next town so the pilgrim who lost the passport, credential, or other item can be reunited with the item. Do not worry. But, also, do not be overly attached to material items.

The Camino attracts all manner of people. That is the nature of the undertaking. In my experience 99.9 percent of all pilgrims are honest, diligent, caring and helpful people. But, we ARE talking about human nature here. One must undertake the Camino with their eyes wide open and not leaving all their street smart behind, at home.

Ideas I can offer to lessen the likelihood that YOUR footwear will be interesting to another person include:
  • Do not place your boots/shoes at eye height on the communal rack. Place them so eyes are not drawn to them.
  • Tie your shoelaces together so someone cannot slip the shoes on without taking extra time to untie them.
  • With #2 above, loop the laces through the rack to "tie" the boots to the rack. It is not a lock, but is a deterrent.
  • In 2014, at Roncesvalles, I actually saw someone use a small luggage lock to connect their two boots together using two eyelets. At the time, I thought this a very clever idea...just sayin...
On the other hand, last year, on the coastal route from Porto, a walked with a fellow who had his beloved long-term owned, resoled forever, work issued boots "borrowed" from the boot rack an albergue at Ponte de Lima. They were there when he went in in the evening, and gone when he awoke the next morning. He wore his auxiliary sports sandals on Camino, until he reached a larger town with a good shoe store where he bought a replacement pair of hiking footwear. It does happen, but not to everyone, and not on a regular basis.

Do not be paranoid. In the unlikely chance you do lose something you need, there are outdoor shops all along the Camino. There are Decathlon sports department stores at Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada. Footwear can be replaced. I regularly buy clothing when I determine I forgot something, or something gets misplaced.

I note that other forum members with FAR more experience than me often state that one should not bring anything on Camino that you cannot afford to lose. The above discussion touches on this point. Your stuff does not define you. In my case, my adopted color scheme sort of does, but I digress...

That is why we all recommend bringing a zip lock bag, containing all your valuables and electronics into the shower stall with you. Never be separated from the impossible, or really hard to replace items.

This is also, anecdotally, why some folks state that it is possible to do the Camino with the clothes on your back and lots of money...

I hope this helps.

Absolutely this helps and thanks for the reply. Having hiked in many places, I do realize you meet a variety of people with a variety of values. However, replacing a towel etc is not a concern. A well broken in comfortable shoe is not something I would like to replace in the middle of a long distance hike. Some good safety points, thanks

You should sometimes try to walk without shoes at all. Need a lot of exercise but once you have done your first camino
like that I think you will never wear boots or sandals or anything else again. Just imagine how you feel the path, the camino, under your feet!

Take whatever you can walk 10-15 km in. Over a whole lot of days walking in France and Spain I have had to walk in backups only 3 times. But I was glad to have footware that would keep me moving down the trail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I considered and had tevas (hurricane xlt size ~42@520g) but switched to basic tribord s100 from decathlon (size 41@280g).
They are much lighter and work great as evening, shower, albergue footwear.

Of course tevas have better grip are a little bit more comfortable but... not really needed (IMO).
Haven't used crocs.

Just FYI to everyone. After the recent exchange (above) and my attempted comparison regarding the Xeroshoes vs. other types of lightweight footwear appropriate to Camino use, my curiosity got the better of me. :eek:

I ordered a pair of Z-Trek sports sandals with "earth brown" soles and "coffee bean" (subdued green) lacing. They are in US size 12 / 46.:)

Once I receive them, I will report back to this dialog, as regards weight and use on level ground. ;)

BTW, my "street: shoe size is a US 11 / 45. I usually order all my Camino footwear at least one-full size larger as I will wear sandals with socks if it is chilly in the evening, or if I must use the auxiliary footwear to walk. If I must walk in the sandals, I MUST have the padding that two pair of socks provide. Besides, most all footwear, except for flip-flops and Crocs or sliders can usually be adjusted to fit without socks. I know there is a difference of opinion on this, but I personally abhor having any part of my feet hanging over or out of the sandal. I like have a 1/4 inch or about 5 mm surrounding the edge of my feet.

I hope this helps.

I found these: for women, http://www.coolshoes.com/our-shoes/birkenstock/madrid-essential.html; for men, http://www.coolshoes.com/our-shoes/birkenstock/arizona-essentia-46551.html. Lighter than Crocs, except maybe their flip-flops, but you can wear socks with them. I'm a guy, size 11 (U.S.) Arizona weighs in at 260 grams.
These are what I now bring with me for the afternoon: they are all plastic (no ribbon/neoprene straps that will remain humid like in Tevas) and better support and more antislip, inside the shoes and on the pavement than Crocs).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd try Tevo because they are more socially acceptable as shoes in Spain should you want to go to a restaurant, museum, shop, or elsewhere.

I found these: for women, http://www.coolshoes.com/our-shoes/birkenstock/madrid-essential.html; for men, http://www.coolshoes.com/our-shoes/birkenstock/arizona-essentia-46551.html. Lighter than Crocs, except maybe their flip-flops, but you can wear socks with them. I'm a guy, size 11 (U.S.) Arizona weighs in at 260 grams.

Thank you for a recommendation. I will buy them and then decide whether to take them to the Camino. Being able to wear them with socks is a definite plus.

Ok folks, as promised, I said previously that I would report on the Xero shoes when I received them. They came in the post today, fast service!

Anyway, the size 12 / 46 Xero Shoes Z-Trek sports sandals weigh 456 or 17 ounces for the pair. The DO appear to be fairly solid for casual use and shower wear. I personally would not want to walk far in them, carrying a full rucksack on a stony road, but they DO offer an alternative approach to secondary footwear.

Here is how they stack up against other sandal-type secondary or auxiliary footwear, for 'apres trekking' use:

Sport Sandals (pair):
  • Xero Z-Trek (size 12/46) - 17 ounces
  • Crocs (size 12/46) - 17.7 ounces
  • Ecco (size 11.5 /45) - 27 ounces
Flip-flop style sandals or shower shoes:
  • Generic "beach" flip-flops (size 12/46) - 8.7 ounces
  • Xero Amuri Cloud (size 9/39) - 9.2 ounces (Note: size/weight disparity)
  • Shower Slides (size 12/46) - 10.1 ounces
  • Telic flip-flops (size 12/46) - 10.8 ounces
  • Xero Amuri Venture (size 9/39) - @ 11 ounces (Note: size/weight disparity)
  • Xero Z-Trek Sandals (size 12/46) - 17 ounces
As they say, yer pays yet money, and takes yer chances!

If I were to assess these results, so far, I would say that, if you were solely (no pun intended) interested in something to wear on your feet to shower in, or while padding around an albergue or nearby cafe or town, without lugging a loaded rucksack, I would recommend the French shower slides, or the Telic flip-flops with the improved sides (support). Both of these, similar to Crocs, are expanded, molded polyurethane foam, and offer the most cushioning for the least carry weight. Moreover, being impervious to water, they dry fast.

NOTE: I cannot wear the basic, cheap flip-flops that so many of you would opt for because: (a) I am a largish (240 lb / 109 Kg) fellow, and (b) I need the additional cushioning under-foot.

On the other hand, if you wanted an auxiliary item of footwear that provided the shower-friendly capability and casual lounge-about use capability, PLUS the capability to walk the Camino if you needed or chose to, I would suggest that one of the sport sandal styles might be more to your liking as the straps provide additional stability and support.

Given all of these considerations, the Crocs again float to the top of the pile. They combine relatively light weight, padding under-foot, some side support, fast drying, and are likely less expensive than other footwear. The Xero Shoes Z-Treks are essentially the same weight as the Crocs. So, I do plan to wear them around casually to evaluate them. However, they do not have any of the cushioning under-foot that the Crocs do. We shall see what falls out...

Just as a FYI, my Crocs cost about USD 40. My Xero Z-Trak sandals cost USD 60.

I hope this information helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't forget to benchmark with the EVA BIrkinstocks. Best post Camino, shower-evening wear ever.

I've been relatively obsessed with this question lately. I was looking and looking for a pair of sports sandals that didn't weigh much. After much looking, I have decided to bring my Teva Tirras- but wanted to provide people with the weights of some of the sandals I considered. Maybe it will be helpful? BTW- you can order and try almost all of these with Zappos! Free shipping! All weights in the doc are based on a Ladies size 8.

Attachments

• sandal weight2.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 18
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My mom bought me really expensive waterproof hiking shoes as a birthday present before I did my camino.. I think I wore then 3 times - got 12 blisters and ended up doing 75% of my camino in crocks, until I wore through the bottom of them, and then I bought some 20 EU shoes in Leon.

I would definitely vouch for the durability of crocs.

Attachments

• Des.PNG
    Des.PNG
    706.2 KB · Views: 13
I like Crocs wear them all the time in my workshop, but for my extra shoes on the Camino I prefer my Teva light weights, a smidge over 400g, really nice and airy after a long day.

Edit: They also pack flat.

Last edited:
I am taking my boots , which I love, and a pair of Ahnu Tilden sandals for nights and as an alternative to walk in if necessary.
Even though the Ahnu's can be worn in the shower I don't really fancy wearing wet sandals so I have ordered some 'Spa flip flops' - super light, super compact and super cheap (AUD $4 for 6 pairs with free postage) so if they don't work out I'll just bin them and use the sandals. I don't think they are very durable but if they are just for the showers I think they should be ok, I'll probably take two pair in case one breaks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221406027090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

ok -- I have a really silly question. When you all are talking about crocs, are you talking about the traditional/original clod-type crocs? Or the "hurache" ones? Can one walk days on the camino in one or the other? Or are they JUST for non-camino use (i.e. auberge)? Having trouble finding 2nd shoes that could be worn on camino in a pinch. Have always loved crocs, but not sure whether I could REALLY walk in them!

ok -- I have a really silly question. When you all are talking about crocs, are you talking about the traditional/original clod-type crocs? Or the "hurache" ones? Can one walk days on the camino in one or the other? Or are they JUST for non-camino use (i.e. auberge)? Having trouble finding 2nd shoes that could be worn on camino in a pinch. Have always loved crocs, but not sure whether I could REALLY walk in them!
I once had to walk with Crocs shapped like the old Dr. Sholl's wood and leather sandals for three or four days and was just fine. This was on the CF between Leon and Astorga.

Ours are the clog type Crocs Classic and at a pinch we would wear them to walk. We do all our afternoon 'sightseeing' in them (with the heel straps turned to make 'sandals') while our boots air. We wear our thin liner socks either 2 pairs or one pair with our thin wool ones to avoid being sweaty or getting blisters. Just round the albergue etc we wear them slip-on clog style. Like with the boots we made sure that we could wear them with socks although some people are happy to wear them without.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.