• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crocs!!

AndyF

This may seem really weird but has anyone experienced back problems from wearing Crocs ?? (those lightweight moulded soft spongy shoes with holes in them)

I bought some crocs on holiday to try out as a lightweight shoe to wear in the evenings whilst on the Camino. They are bulky but really lightweight.

No joke but I developed sciatica and hip pain with a weak low back after wearing them for a week, maybe they are not designed for too much walking??

I think it is my gluteus minimus or gluteus medius that is playing up.

Just thought I’d post this in case anyone else has had any problems.

In my experience I would give them a wide berth.

I start my Camino in three weeks – I do hope my back clears up by then.

So much for fashionable footwear…………..

Buen Camino

Andy F

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Andy, I hope you recover soon. Many pilgrims think Crocs are great because of they are light and airy. Indeed in the hospital with which I have some association they are often the footwear of choice for nurses who walk many miles each day.

I'm, sorry you seem to have had a bad experience with them.

sorry! I meant to add that Clarks the well known UK Shoe retailer now has a "Superlight" range - casual shoes at under 0.5 kilos. I found them ideal to wear as "normal" shoes with socks in the evening during a winter camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Andy,
I used Crocks as my town shoe and my shower shoes both, during my walk last September.
Walked quite a bit around town at night too. Some times I wore socks, some times not. They were really comfortable . . . and light.
Bulk? I just rolled up my socks, t-shirt or what ever and stuffed it into the Crocks so they took up no extra room.
The light weight was my first concern, and they have now become my preferred casual shoe.
Knock offs or copies should be fine, since they are usually cheaper.
Sorry you had a problem with them on your try out. Use what works for you. That's most important.
Jerry

:shock: your crocks are they the real one or fakes?
iv got a pair of real and fake the real one i wear all summer long walk alot in them during the festivals here iv spend 8hours+ whit them on and never had pains anywhere! but fake one after 1-2hours my lower back and hips hurt and i better walking bear foot then having fakes on!
BIG diffrence :wink:

Yo Santos!

They were fakes, only £4 !, what a cheapskate I am !
That helps explain the problem

thank you kindly :)

Buen Camino

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back