A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Cross of Saint James and the Santiago Torte

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way
2016 & 2019 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a shop in Santiago that sells metal Crosses for using when dusting the torte with icing sugar?

I only spent two days in Santiago after my first walk and don't recall seeing any cooking supplies shops, but I also didn't venture too far from the Cathedral part of town.

Thanks in advance.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Or you can get an actual cross and sprinkle sugar over, so you get the silhouette on the tart.
Not sure if that is heretic though.

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
No, sorry, I can’t help. I cut stencils out of baking paper and use those.
Thanks Kanga, I tried that last month when I made the tart for the first time and it looked great until I tried to remove it and the excess sugar on the cross fell off and spoiled the pattern.

I could try cardboard, but I saw a lovely metal cross on the Hairy Bikers Bakation that a Santiago bakery used.

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
Hi @Terri B
I’ve purchased what you’re looking for ‘ in the old part of town - not too far from ‘Ivar’s office ‘ .
I’m not sure of the street name but I passed the shop after visiting @ivar one time.
It had lots of odds and ends , from memory kitchen items and knives etc. I saw it in the window and it was inexpensive.. actually ‘it’ was 2 metal templates .. one for a larger ‘Santiago’ tarta and one for a smaller size. I still haven’t cooked the tarta though !
Good luck.
Annie

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
You can get them in Santiago at the kitchen supply store, Bazar Casa Sole, 46-48 Calle de Caldereria. I bought two sets, each with a large and a small stainless steel cross, last fall. About 8 euros each, I think.

Or you can order them from Amazon. Search "cake template cross of St. James" and they should come up.

Felipe

Veteran Member
I used a home made cardboard with some pins, and worked just fine.
Btw, it is "torta", not tart or torte. :p

Felipe

Veteran Member
Yes, it is. I should remember to look for typos when correcting somebody else Spanish words...😩 :p

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
Ferreteria Horreos, corner of Rua do Horreo, on Plaza de Galicia. They are in the kitchen section. Look on the gadget wall opposite where the stairs end. Two crosses for about €8,00. Stainless steel.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Andreo, looks like I have a few options.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%