• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cross of Saint James and the Santiago Torte

Terri B

Time of past OR future Camino
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way, 2016 & 2019 SJPDP to Santiago, 2020 Porto to Santiago
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a shop in Santiago that sells metal Crosses for using when dusting the torte with icing sugar?

I only spent two days in Santiago after my first walk and don't recall seeing any cooking supplies shops, but I also didn't venture too far from the Cathedral part of town.

Thanks in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or you can get an actual cross and sprinkle sugar over, so you get the silhouette on the tart.
Not sure if that is heretic though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, sorry, I can’t help. I cut stencils out of baking paper and use those.
Thanks Kanga, I tried that last month when I made the tart for the first time and it looked great until I tried to remove it and the excess sugar on the cross fell off and spoiled the pattern.

I could try cardboard, but I saw a lovely metal cross on the Hairy Bikers Bakation that a Santiago bakery used.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Terri B
I’ve purchased what you’re looking for ‘ in the old part of town - not too far from ‘Ivar’s office ‘ .
I’m not sure of the street name but I passed the shop after visiting @ivar one time.
It had lots of odds and ends , from memory kitchen items and knives etc. I saw it in the window and it was inexpensive.. actually ‘it’ was 2 metal templates .. one for a larger ‘Santiago’ tarta and one for a smaller size. I still haven’t cooked the tarta though !
Good luck.
Annie

You can get them in Santiago at the kitchen supply store, Bazar Casa Sole, 46-48 Calle de Caldereria. I bought two sets, each with a large and a small stainless steel cross, last fall. About 8 euros each, I think.

Or you can order them from Amazon. Search "cake template cross of St. James" and they should come up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ferreteria Horreos, corner of Rua do Horreo, on Plaza de Galicia. They are in the kitchen section. Look on the gadget wall opposite where the stairs end. Two crosses for about €8,00. Stainless steel.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Andreo, looks like I have a few options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a shop in Santiago that sells metal Crosses for using when dusting the torte with icing sugar?

I only spent two days in Santiago after my first walk and don't recall seeing any cooking supplies shops, but I also didn't venture too far from the Cathedral part of town.

Thanks in advance.
Houseware shops, pots, pans have two sizes available, about 7€
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Thanks all for the assistance, I was able to get one in Santiago. Perfect souvenir.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back