• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cross of Saint James

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Coming home through Fiumicino Airport while on the train between terminals I saw from afar a man perhaps a priestor a lay brother wearing a brown cassock with a white scapular marked by a huge chin-to big toe sized Cross of Saint James. Too many people on the train and he ran like a bunny to catch his plane so I never was able to talk with him. Which order? Perhaps a Franciscan with a pledge to the Confraternity? Something else? Just wondering.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Coming home through Fiumicino Airport while on the train between terminals I saw from afar a man perhaps a priestor a lay brother wearing a brown cassock with a white scapular marked by a huge chin-to big toe sized Cross of Saint James. Too many people on the train and he ran like a bunny to catch his plane so I never was able to talk with him. Which order? Perhaps a Franciscan with a pledge to the Confraternity? Something else? Just wondering.
20201001_033517.jpgI i think the group that you're referring to are actually called the Heralds of the Gospel. They are a relatively new were religious order or rather and institute of consecrated life very different than Franciscans or other older orders. They were only approved in 2001 under John Paul the 2nd. They mostly consist of younger adults. I'm fairly certain what you are describing are the Heralds, but i will post a picture to be sure.

I'm fairly certain what you are describing are the Heralds, but i will post a picture to be sure.
That's interesting, thank you for posting this. I still didn't get the connection to the Saint James cross. However, from their website and from Wikipedia, I now see that their main symbol is an image of the Virgin and that they apparently adhere to a tradition called Wandermadonna - Wandering Madonna. Which means nothing to me. So I thought that's the connection: wandering = pilgrimage. But that's not the case. On their website it becomes clearer: the cross is shown next to the word reconquista, ie contemporary re-evangelisation efforts.

See also: Habits, Uniforms and Symbols of the Heralds of the Gospel on their US website.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A video that explains the habit of the contemporary Heralds of the Gospel. I think this may be of general interest as it is a habit that is "taken from various elements of Christian Catholic tradition". It may help to interpret some of the historical images and symbols that you see along the Camino Frances for example.

Please be aware of their reputation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
With Rule 2 at the forefront of my mind, I’ll confess to being rather frightened by the photo in post #2.
Totally non-religious Sci-Fi movies? :cool:

I've been racking my brain to find a way of gently steering the thread away from Rule 2 waters ... to cut a long story short: from the time-honoured Austrian tradition of wanderer madonnas to the famous La Peregrina statue in Pontevedra to the even more famous La Peregrina pearl that Richard Burton once purchased and gave as a gift to Elizabeth Taylor and to the question: Why is it called Peregrina pearl aka Female Wanderer pearl? Do you think it will work?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.