• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cross training

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I have had the second opinion from another doc who has confirmed both tendonapathy and tarsal tunnel syndromes in my ankle.
We have a plan of attack that should arrest this well enough to preserve the ankle and let me have a successful Camino
However there will a few (exact number) of weeks to lay off hiking. Sad cause the dog and I love hiking for its own sake
The doc recommended cross training in the mean time so I don't feel I'm losing ground. The swimming he recommends isn't really do able from where I live .
Does any one have comments on the cross training they did that they felt contributed to their success? even if it wasn't during a lay off like this?
thanks in advance
Nanc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been crossing training on my Concept 2 rowing machine. It is great for every part of your body. I also have been using my elliptical trainer set on a harder resistance to mimic hill climbing. I am set today to go out and do some real hill climbing. The last time I did this, it set off sciatic pain. Wish me luck!

Hi @Nanc Here is a definition plucked off the internet "Cross-training, sometimes referred to as circuit training, refers to combining exercises of other disciplines, different than that of the athlete in training. In reference to running, cross-training is when a runner trains by doing another kind of fitness workout such as cycling, swimming, a fitness class or strength training, to supplement their running. It builds strength and flexibility in muscles that running doesn't utilize. It prevents injury by correcting muscular imbalances. And the variety prevents boredom and burnout." I guess your doctor is recommending swimming because of the minimalised impact on your ankle. Jogging, rowing, cycling and so-called cross-trainers are probably out because there will be a continuing impact on your ankle.

If swimming is really not available then concentrate on healing and on pack-weight. And remember that the Camino is not an athletic challenge; rather it is just a long walk. I wish you well and Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Nanc
I find that a strong core is a great help when hiking. You need a strong core to carry your back and to hold your self upright when you get tired. I don't know if exercises like the plank, situps etc. has an impact on your ankles. Check with your doctor or a physical terapist and make sure you get instructions to do the exercises right, you don't want to hurt yourself or have another injury.
Think of the time out as a time to heal your ankle.
Buen Camino.

Martial arts was good for toning up my leg muscles especially for the sideways movements. Great for glutes.
I also like my rowing machine.
Whenever I need to tone up in a hurry and develop some extra strength my go-to is Rhadi Ferguson. He is a former judo Olympian with a PhD in Strength and Conditioning so I feel confident he is not going to give you anything too horrific.
is Part 1 of his Squat workout.
I would see an exercise physiologist for a plan of attack though. This is exactly what they do well.

Thanks all
Seeing PT later in week
Sounds like my doc likes the elliptical without pack weight

Sigh was on such a roll and high
I KNOW that taking care of this now, gee like a hot spot!- means a better outcome later.
I felt like I was in better control of my Camino by advance prep. Guess that's the illusion and lesson

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have had the second opinion from another doc who has confirmed both tendonapathy and tarsal tunnel syndromes in my ankle.
We have a plan of attack that should arrest this well enough to preserve the ankle and let me have a successful Camino
However there will a few (exact number) of weeks to lay off hiking. Sad cause the dog and I love hiking for its own sake
The doc recommended cross training in the mean time so I don't feel I'm losing ground. The swimming he recommends isn't really do able from where I live .
Does any one have comments on the cross training they did that they felt contributed to their success? even if it wasn't during a lay off like this?
thanks in advance
Nanc
If your ankle can handle it I suggest cycling with the seat set close to the pedals so your legs don't extend fully and put too much stress on your ankle. Lift the seat up a bit each week until you're riding at full height. Pump up hills and speed on the flats.
If you need more support and protection for your ankles I suggest you look at buying a pair of full leather light weight hiking boots like the HanWag Lhasa. Once broken in and formed to your foot, there's nothing better for walking on mixed terrain.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.