Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crossing from primitivo to ingles

robert562016

Time of past OR future Camino
walking in may and June 2016
Hi All,
I'm going to walk the primitivo in early July this year, but I really don't want to join up with the Frances if I can help it. I was thinking that at some point after Lugo I could walk over to the Ingles. Has any one done this? Any suggestions about the best route to take?
Thanks heaps!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Robert,
When I walked the Primitivo last year, some people took a train from Lugo to Ferrol to walk the Inglés. They did so to avoid joining the Francés. There's also a direct bus to A Coruña, for a quieter and shorter (less than 100kms) version of the Inglés. I don't know about walking routes, but you could of course make your own using google maps or something similar.

Have you seen this thread about crossing from the Primitivo to the Norte?

Buen Camino!

@robert562016 Last year I was determined to stay off the French way as long as humanly possible. With the help of ideas from forum members, I crossed from Primitivo to Norte via Friol and then took another alt route to avoid Arzúa and join the CF at St Irene. That way I only had one night on the CF before Santiago, at O Pedrouzo which I booked ahead (and thoroughly enjoyed because there is a lush public swimming pool there).

I made resources for both:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...verde-crossover-route-primitivo-to-norte.508/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-frances-later-off-the-camino-del-norte.509/

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
Sounds like a great idea.
I am on my Camino del Norte (in stages) and have walked the Camino Ingles already.
I had already a similar thought. I considered to stay on the coast or cross the mountains to reach Ferrol for the Camino del Norte.
How much time do you have? By bus it should take a day only, on foot it might be a week.
It would give an opportunity to visit also the pilgrimage shrine of "San Andres de Texeido" at the Galician coast, north east from Ferrol (roughly 35km), There are reportedly Europe's highest cliffs to the sea.
There are a few pilgrimage days during the year, the most important is the 8th September when the dead are remembered.. Otherwise probably pretty remote.
It must be quite an interesting place to visit. It was pre christian site of worship. St Andrews allegedly landed there (when his boat capsized).
There is an old saying in the area "If you don't visit San Andres de Texeido alive, you'll go des (A San Andres de Texeido vai de morto o que no foi de vivo), but you could be reincarnated as a bird, lizard, toad or snake.

I believe that a walk along the north coast to come to Ferrol would be a great adventure.
The Spanish have a great passion for walking and there will be a number of marked ways. As not a pilgrimage route it will require flexibility regards accommodation (Casa rural, hotel, motel hostels and possibly campsites)
The way from Ferol to San Andres de Texeido joins/departs from the Camino Ingles near Naron - 7km from Ferrol, signposted with a red outline "fish" symbol.

If you have a week spare go for this great adventure

Hi
Sounds like a great idea.
I am on my Camino del Norte (in stages) and have walked the Camino Ingles already.
I had already a similar thought. I considered to stay on the coast or cross the mountains to reach Ferrol for the Camino del Norte.
How much time do you have? By bus it should take a day only, on foot it might be a week.
It would give an opportunity to visit also the pilgrimage shrine of "San Andres de Texeido" at the Galician coast, north east from Ferrol (roughly 35km), There are reportedly Europe's highest cliffs to the sea.
There are a few pilgrimage days during the year, the most important is the 8th September when the dead are remembered.. Otherwise probably pretty remote.
It must be quite an interesting place to visit. It was pre christian site of worship. St Andrews allegedly landed there (when his boat capsized).
There is an old saying in the area "If you don't visit San Andres de Texeido alive, you'll go des (A San Andres de Texeido vai de morto o que no foi de vivo), but you could be reincarnated as a bird, lizard, toad or snake.

I believe that a walk along the north coast to come to Ferrol would be a great adventure.
The Spanish have a great passion for walking and there will be a number of marked ways. As not a pilgrimage route it will require flexibility regards accommodation (Casa rural, hotel, motel hostels and possibly campsites)
The way from Ferol to San Andres de Texeido joins/departs from the Camino Ingles near Naron - 7km from Ferrol, signposted with a red outline "fish" symbol.

If you have a week spare go for this great adventure

If you are on the Norte then you can continue along the coast from Ribadeo to reach San Andrés and then turn south towards Ferrol to walk to Xubia and join the Camino Inglés there. We did this in 2015, with the help of the FEVE and a bus and using private accommodation. See the Ruta do Mar section on the forum and our blog Camino 2015 (link in my signature below). Several of us have now walked this and none of us found exactly the same route! but it was well worth the effort.
Sorry - not a help for getting from the Primitivo to Ferrol, that is best done by bus probably from Lugo. There was a thread last year where some-one was trying to find a walking route, but it seemed to be on possibly busy roads. A forum search might find it.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back