• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crossing the Pyrenees hyperlapse

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nicely done!
It really is a very good picture of the actual walk from St .Jean to Roncevalles.
I like the idea that it takes the myth of a tough trail out of it. It is uphill...but not a serious walk. There is much fear generated on the forums about the Napoleon route. It is tough because it is the first day or in the middle of a snow storm...but really not an actual problem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello past, present and future pilgrims!

I shot this hyperlapse of the Pyrenees section of the walk back on my Camino in 2012.

Hopefully it quells a few nerves for some and brings back a flood of memories for others ! :)

I really enjoyed it and it brought back so many memories of having walked along that very route. Thanks so much!

That is so true grayland! The initial and post perception couldn't be further apart!

I'm really happy that you're all finding some value in this, cheers guys :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Certainly gave me a better understanding of what I will be crossing this October - like you said, not as bad as some of the comments have left you to believe - I've hiked worse! Thanks for sharing ;)

Wow! That is so awesome. Thank you!

Thank you. We also watch everything that we can find to see the road/trail conditions. It puts the
"pyrenees" into perspective. Now what can you do about the weather? That's one area no-one can control !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for this, F Ashley! I have done Stage 8 (Sarria to Santiago) and now want to do Stage 1 but am not sure if I am fit to do the Pyrenees! How many hours does this video cover, ie how long did it take? Is there only one route for this? I've read a few accounts and it talks about steep inclines and killer downhills, but I didn't see any in your video. Is it possible I am reading about different routes? Thanks Sarah

Thanks for this, F Ashley! I have done Stage 8 (Sarria to Santiago) and now want to do Stage 1 but am not sure if I am fit to do the Pyrenees! How many hours does this video cover, ie how long did it take? Is there only one route for this? I've read a few accounts and it talks about steep inclines and killer downhills, but I didn't see any in your video. Is it possible I am reading about different routes? Thanks Sarah

Sarah,

F. Ashley's video of the Napoleon route is indeed splendid! However do remember that there exists another way through the mountain pass via the Valcarlos alternate which was the original path. Be sure to also read what others and I have written earlier in praise of this lower route.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Sarah, i'd say three things contribute too difficulty. Aside from the 23km length, you have a sharp incline from 0:39 to 0:56 (finishes with a well placed fountain). And that steep decline at 2:21 which is slightly longer than the (difficult) incline - beware of this, most injuries occur on the way down.
In terms of time, i did it in 8 hours.. you don't need too by any means! Take a break at every fountain and grab an icecream at Orisson (1:02)!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That was really cool! But I did feel a tad motion sick watching it. Your weather was much better than mine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I view your video two days ago, simply wonderful and now my son and daughter are watching it!
We will be doing Sjpdp to Logroño at the end of June, so now they would know what is waiting for us those days.

Thanks for sharing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Awesome man! Thanks for sharing, brings back some good memories. I (almost) remember each step :) When exactly did you record this in 2012? I was walking there in sept 2012

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really enjoyed that, thanks for uploading!!
From the video, it looks like the toughest section is the descent.
Roll on September

David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I shot this hyperlapse of the Pyrenees section of the walk back on my Camino in 2012.

Hopefully it quells a few nerves for some and brings back a flood of memories for others ! :)

Thank you.
Having hiked the AT I kept thinking the first day didn't look so bad, but your video convinced my wife it's very doable as well. Long and hard for a first day but "it's just walking".
:)

That was fun. We rode the route, and generally kept to the main roads over the Pyrenees. But we are now hoping to walk it and viewing the video has given us more hope that we will do it one day!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Wow! I loved this hyperlapse of the Pyrenees! My husband and I were considering starting further west to avoid injury. Now we start in St. Jean. Thank you so much for posting this!

Nice job. Good video.
Shows prospective peregrinos what type of roads they will walk on. A lot of paved and improved. Hard packed dirt and gravel. Hopefully alleviate some concerns for those that have been led to believe that walking the Camino is like climbing the Himalayas, fraught with danger and such. Ha ha.
;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, as someone who walked to Orrison (had to grab a ride to Roncesvalle), I want to caution people that are not in good shape, the video had me looking for level ground...not much going but Orrisson, was tougher than I expected. I am glad to have done it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

We transported our bags from SJPDP to Roncesvalles for 7 Euro best money we spent and just carried day packs - transpirting packs gives your legs and body a rest when needed and when tendons get strained - look also for compression stockings at farmacias they have helped des's legs

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Superb. Can't tell you how helpful it is. In short yes it does quell some nerves and nice to see the terrain it covers. I'll be doing it next Saturday. Thanks for sharing.

@donalomahony Oh yes, the white van and it's hard boiled eggs!

@PANO In terms of kit - a GoPro, chest harness and an external battery. For software - PhotoShop to align the images and AfterEffects to compile them!

Absolutely great! I'm planning on doing similar for another section this Fall. What was your interval?
It was very good, even the slow shutter segments are cool. Loved it all. :D

Thank you SO MUCH! That is just the thing I needed to see - there is so much written about the crossing - but your pictures say it all. Thank you!

€60,-
Loved the hyper lapse. I have been trying in my mind to compare the first day with my hiking experiences and I realise now that it is not as bad as I thought. I am used to some very steep hills and it all looked more gradual than I expected. Relief!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first section.. How long would you estimate it to take? I'll be 58 years old when I hope to do it next June? I walk regular in the Cabrera mountains of southern Spain and consider myself a competent walker even though I smoke...I'm looking to complete the complete pilgrimage in around five weeks???? Is this time frame a reality? Cheers!

I love it. I thought of doing the same thing. So glad someone already has. Technical question....what settings did you use (1 frame/60 seconds?). Did you take multiple memory cards or did you upload to a computer? I didnt want to take a laptop due to the extra weight. How many memory cards did you use? etc etc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Which month did you walk?
Hi Francisco J.. Great hyper lapse.. Looks good to me, what time of year odd you do it, I'm starting mine on the 1st May.. Hopefully the weather will be good and the bed bugs few...thanks for the vid..

It was nice to see what it actually looked like. It was extremely foggy the day I walked from St. Jean. I saw nothing but white all day. :)

It was nice to see what it actually looked like. It was extremely foggy the day I walked from St. Jean. I saw nothing but white all day. :)
Thank you Militiachelle.. What time of year did you walk?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Militiachelle.. What time of year did you walk?
A year ago yesterday would have been the day I walked from St. Jean.
It was the only slightly cold day I experienced until I got past Sarria.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks so much for sharing this - and it's perfect timing as I plan my first camino this OCT 2014. It really helps me feel less anxious about the Pyrennes - and it helps me decide what shoes to pack. Muchas gracias!

Wow - that was great!

€46,-
Thank you, this clip brought back memories as if I had walked it yesterday.

I had a much harder time than most; dehydration, jet lag, and stress really hurt. I am also a flatlander who is not at all used to hills and inclines. For me, a mountain is 20 ft tall (quit laughing). But I now know for next time.

Another future pilgrim thanks you for sharing this inspiring video. After watching it once at regular speed, I managed to use the YouTube settings on my viewer to slow it down to 1/2 and finally 1/4 speed -- really fantastic then!

1st day dusnt look so daunting now,,thanks..hopefully doin the walk nx month.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked this stage twice and driven up to Orisson several times for a quiet beer on the terrace. I love what you have done to calm the nerves of first time pilgrims, although your camera makes it look a lot flatter than it actually is. BTW, how come you missed showing the guy with the drink stand at the top of road just before the Camino veers off toward the Fountain of Roland.

Hi F Ashley,

I really liked your video, so I forwarded it to my son, who will be walking the CF with me in about three weeks. Your video caused him to give me a Hero 4 Silver GoPro for Christmas and now I have to learn how to use this complicated gadget. LOL. Anyway, could you provided a newbie like me as to the settings on your GP and editing details you used to make this video. A few questions. Is the video a combination of still shots and videos? Did you use consistent settings for the whole stage? What was the periodicity of the still shots, e.g., every minute? What software did you use to edit and produce the video?

Thanks in advance.

Great -It gives me good idea what to expect & does no appear as steep an uphill hike as others say.
Ros.

Hello @F.Ashley . How many seconds lapsed between shots? I love the idea of one of these cameras, but could only afford an entry level model which has a single timelapse setting of 5 seconds.

I really really enjoyed watching that x

I am so glad I saw this. I know it is not easy but I feel so much better now after seeing this. Proper training and I will be fine.

Woo hoooo! Like everyone has said already, what a treat. Held my breath going down to Roncesvalles, and loved the phantom horses. Not better than being there, of course, but a WHOLE lot more comfortable.
Now, F.Ashley...please can we have the entire Camino Frances??? :po_O In case you have nothing better to do.:D

Same here! I saw in my guide book that it is one of the toughest days due to the ascent, but it looks pretty gradual from the video. I'm crossing my fingers that the hiking I've done at home will be sufficient to get me through day 1.

It made it look more gentle especially at the beginning. But we loved day 1 of our Camino check out kembercamino.blogspot.com for photos from yesterday. Perfect weather, spectacular crossing. Buen Camino!

Thank you very much. I have chronic inflammatory issues especially with knees and back. After watching your awesome video, I am feeling more confident on attempting the CF. It is in my bucket list and my goal to do this before I turn 70 (in 3 years).

€46,-
Nicely done!
It really is a very good picture of the actual walk from St .Jean to Roncevalles.
I like the idea that it takes the myth of a tough trail out of it. It is uphill...but not a serious walk. There is much fear generated on the forums about the Napoleon route. It is tough because it is the first day or in the middle of a snow storm...but really not an actual problem.
I agree. It is the only leg of the journey I have been fairly worried about...this is great...thanks!

I agree. It is the only leg of the journey I have been fairly worried about...this is great...thanks!
No worries, @hopefultraveller24 .
These are foothills, not yet mountains. To be respected in bad weather, of course, but not as dramatic as one might imagine. The day is walking over a massive hill on roads and tracks, not mountaneering.
Buen camino!

Thank you very much. I have chronic inflammatory issues especially with knees and back. After watching your awesome video, I am feeling more confident on attempting the CF. It is in my bucket list and my goal to do this before I turn 70 (in 3 years).

Below is a YouTube segment that I filmed for John Sikora walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon Route. It is the first video John listed in his 'Camino de Santiago Day by Day' video series. It includes a couple of nifty graphics for each segment:

1. A Google Maps flyover of the route at the beginning of the video
2. During the walk, the video shows a chart at the bottom with a marker that follows along the way as the video progresses. It also shows the distance in miles.
3. The video also shows the Brierley guide's stage map of the section walked, with a marker that moves in relation to the mileage covered.

The video's are done at 4k resolutions (1440p or 2160p), so the higher the resolution settings you make on the YouTube app, and on the computer or TV, the better the quality of for viewing. They can also be viewed at standard and high definition settings, too.

This is just one video from John's entire series covering the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela. In addition to my video footage, the series also has a separate video of the Valcarlos Route to Roncesvalles..

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Below is a YouTube segment that I filmed for John Sikora walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon Route. It is the first video of John's Camino de Santiago Day by Day video series. It includes a couple of nifty graphics for each segment:

2. During the walk, the video shows a chart at the bottom with a marker that follows along the way as the video progresses. It also shows the distance in miles.
3. The video also shows the Brierley guide's stage map of the section walked, with a marker that moves in relation to the mileage covered.

The video's are done at 4k resolutions (1440p or 2160p), so the higher the resolution settings on the YouTube app, and on the computer or TV, the better the quality of for viewing. They can also be viewed at standard and high definition settings, too.

This is just one video from John's entire series covering the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela. In addition to my video footage, the series also has a separate video of the Valcarlos Route to Roncesvalles..

Wonderful, thank you! Looks different not covered in snow 🙄

Below is a YouTube segment that I filmed for John Sikora walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon Route. It is the first video John listed in his 'Camino de Santiago Day by Day' video series. It includes a couple of nifty graphics for each segment:

The video's are done at 4k resolutions (1440p or 2160p), so the higher the resolution settings you make on the YouTube app, and on the computer or TV, the better the quality of for viewing. They can also be viewed at standard and high definition settings, too.

That's really great. Thank you Dave. for this John Sikora video.

I love this. I know I can do this. I plan to spend a lot of time relaxing along the way. Makes me want to take a GoPro but ever ounce counts, so I will most likely forgo it.
Unless you are just carrying a huge amount of gear, Iam not sure how the Go-Pro will add a significant amount of weight. I am preparing for my first Camino in April but I don't expect to be anywhere near carrying 20lbs (9.1 kg).

Unless you are just carrying a huge amount of gear, Iam not sure how the Go-Pro will add a significant amount of weight. I am preparing for my first Camino in April but I don't expect to be anywhere near carrying 20lbs (9.1 kg).
You are posting this in a forum where I've read about people mutilating their toothbrushes and cutting the tags off their clothing to save weight. If people think the weight of their toothbrush handle or the tags in their clothing is significant, I'm not surprised that they think that carrying a Go-Pro is like Sisyphus pushing a boulder uphill.

'Significant weight' is like exposure to radiation, it is the cumulative amount that becomes the problem.
Ounces equal Pounds, and Pounds equal Pain. Or the metric equivalent:) I originally thought about the GoPro just as you did. Then I started putting stuff together to do a continuous, non stop recording of walking the entire Route Napoleon segment, and make sure nothing happened to mess things up for that rare chance to record.

With a GoPro, it can depend on the setup to determine its actual weight impact. When I did the YouTube posted above, I had
  • the GoPro camera with a magnetic quick mount system attached.
  • a heavy duty, shoulder strap camera mount.
  • an external Anker 12000 mA/h power bank with a robust cable to connect the powerbank (kept in a hipbelt pocket) to the GoPro mounted to the upper shoulder strap
  • a small waterproof case sufficient in size to store five, 500 gb microSD cards
  • a case to store the GoPro when not mounted, along with all the other stuff.
  • 8 extra GoPro batteries and a GoPro charger
  • a small case for lens filters,
  • a small bag with extra bits, like charging cables, mounts and attachments and thumb screws, etc.
  • a GoPro tripod/extension handle.
Altogether, that added an additional 4.94 pounds/2.24 kg. to my normal total backpack weight of 8.11 pounds / 3.7 Kg. That made my backpack weigh around 13.5 pounds / 6.1kg.

The point wasn't that the GoPro stuff made the backpack weight unbearable, only that the weight it did add was equal to half of the weight that was already in my backpack. As a percentage, that is a significant increase.

Now imagine someone saying 'this won't add much weight' about each thing they want to bring. Ouch.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back