• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crossing the Rio Erro after Roncesvalles

Jhim

Time of past OR future Camino
St James
Today, crossing Rio Erro, about 12km before Zubiri. 26th April 2018. As much as you can get with your walking boots on. It should be obvious that is the water is any higher,or you are nervous in any way, the road bridge immediately to the left of the stones, is your default option. The worst I would have endured was wet feet. Have fun but always risk assess every situation.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All is well that ends well..... I hope this was filmed with a GoPro in survival mode and no precious phones were put at risk or harmed in the making of this video.

:eek::eek::eek:
Ha. You don’t know me too well. Lol. iPhone gripped tightly, would’ve saved the phone at all costs and that would have been worth capturing if I tripped. Just having fun on Camino. Garcia’s for message.

two weeks ago you couldn't see the stones and there were some close calls with people falling in the flooded crossing

Today, crossing Rio Erro, about 12km before Zubiri. 26th April 2018. As much as you can get with your walking boots on.
heh, Jhim, you on the road again? Lovely hearing your wee singing voice. Mind yersel, son.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great video - like being there without the work!

I want to thank you for filming this lovely spot on the Camino. Last Sept.(2017) I was sitting on the concrete (to the right), a glorious day; blue skies, no clouds, and a soft breeze blowing from the south reading my Bryerly Bible when a man walked by, into the water (maybe 2" max) and disiappeared down the trail. A few minutes later a tall, lithe lady in tight jeans (I know, I know one shouldn't wear jeans on the Camino, but she did look lovely and the image remains with me still) appeared, entered the liquid flow, crossed, and disiappeared. A moment later a half dozen bycycle riders appeared and for a moment, paused to asses what was in front of them. All of a sudden one young man bolted forward and entered into the quick moving stream. Just below the water was an algae like growth weaving with the current. When the front tire made contact with this bio-phenonenem the bicycle sans rider fell forward and became a victim of "arrogant, over expectations!". I, waking from my sun drenched reverie jumped up and immediatly raced to the rescue. Upon entering the flowing river I too became a victim of "arrogant expectations", and watched as my feet, clad in their trusty Keens, slid out from underneath me (yes, I did feel abandoned) and, as they began to elevate, felt the cool, wet water quickly claim my lower legs and half way up my thighs. This dampening of my wardrobe (not to mention the Bible) brought me back to reality and I resumed an upward stance, assisted the rider to his feat, and, with great aplomb and non-chalance strode back to my concrete perch waving off all concerns for my well being. Let's face it as a pilgrim it's what we do.

Martyrs in the making. Sounds like a T-shirt.

Taking advantage of the sunny skies I stayed a bit longer on the hard surface, and recounted my adventure to passing pilgrims as my wardrobe and holy document exposed themselves to the warm rays of the sun. A young lady came and sat by me and as I re-counted my adventure to her. While 'casually' mentioning my heroic deed, I noticed a small van arrive on the far side of the spillway and a man emerged from the drivers side. With the drivers door open I ascertained, by the sign, that he was a taxi driver and was here to, perhaps, assist any weary pilgrims with their journey. Seeing none, other than myself and my nubile audience rapt in conversation, he found a stick, maybe six feet long and two inches wide and began clearing out the debris that was collecting behind the concrete pillars and impeding the rivers flow. He was slowly working his way towards us and, I assume, was deeply engrossed in his project. I, on my end of the causeway, was holding forth on the 'rescue' of the impulsive rider and the quick thinking that only a seasoned pilgrim (did I mention that this was my second Camino) might responned to when I all of a sudden felt a smack on the back of my head as the "flowmaster", lost in his desire to regulate the Rio Erro, assaulted me with his primitive eco-tool. Stunned, and at a loss for words, I found myself verbally stumbling about as my young acolyte rushed to my assistance, and the driver/flowmaster, appalled at his faux-pas, apologized for his apparent loss of awareness.

So... for those of you who wonder why we walk the Camino, and why some walk more than once, I will answer for the only person I can speak for...me. Humility.If you open yourself up to it it's the gift that keeps on giving. As I think back on that moment I find myself laughing and shaking my head at the clown that I know and all the amusement he has given me all through the years.

Remember...one foot in front of the other, and keep on walking.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today, crossing Rio Erro, about 12km before Zubiri. 26th April 2018. As much as you can get with your walking boots on. It should be obvious that is the water is any higher,or you are nervous in any way, the road bridge immediately to the left of the stones, is your default option. The worst I would have endured was wet feet. Have fun but always risk assess every situation.
I crossed there on 19 April and it was very tame.

I want to thank you for filming this lovely spot on the Camino. Last Sept.(2017) I was sitting on the concrete (to the right), a glorious day; blue skies, no clouds, and a soft breeze blowing from the south reading my Bryerly Bible when a man walked by, into the water (maybe 2" max) and disiappeared down the trail. A few minutes later a tall, lithe lady in tight jeans (I know, I know one shouldn't wear jeans on the Camino, but she did look lovely and the image remains with me still) appeared, entered the liquid flow, crossed, and disiappeared. A moment later a half dozen bycycle riders appeared and for a moment, paused to asses what was in front of them. All of a sudden one young man bolted forward and entered into the quick moving stream. Just below the water was an algae like growth weaving with the current. When the front tire made contact with this bio-phenonenem the bicycle sans rider fell forward and became a victim of "arrogant, over expectations!". I, waking from my sun drenched reverie jumped up and immediatly raced to the rescue. Upon entering the flowing river I too became a victim of "arrogant expectations", and watched as my feet, clad in their trusty Keens, slid out from underneath me (yes, I did feel abandoned) and, as they began to elevate, felt the cool, wet water quickly claim my lower legs and half way up my thighs. This dampening of my wardrobe (not to mention the Bible) brought me back to reality and I resumed an upward stance, assisted the rider to his feat, and, with great aplomb and non-chalance strode back to my concrete perch waving off all concerns for my well being. Let's face it as a pilgrim it's what we do. Martyrs in the making. Sounds like a T-shirt.
Taking advantage of the sunny skies I stayed a bit longer on the hard surface, and recounted my adventure to passing pilgrims as my wardrobe and holy document exposed themselves to the warm rays of the sun. A young lady came and sat by me and as I re-counted my adventure to her. While 'casually' mentioning my heroic deed, I noticed a small van arrive on the far side of the spillway and a man emerged from the drivers side. With the drivers door open I ascertained, by the sign, that he was a taxi driver and was here to, perhaps, assist any weary pilgrims with their journey. Seeing none, other than myself and my nubile audience rapt in conversation, he found a stick, maybe six feet long and two inches wide and began clearing out the debris that was collecting behind the concrete pillars and impeding the rivers flow. He was slowly working his way towards us and, I assume, was deeply engrossed in his project. I, on my end of the causeway, was holding forth on the 'rescue' of the impulsive rider and the quick thinking that only a seasoned pilgrim (did I mention that this is my second Camino) might responned to when I all of a sudden felt a smack on the back of my head as the "flowmaster", lost in his desire to regulate the Rio Erro, assaulted me with his primitive eco-tool. Stunned, and at a loss for words, I found myself verbally stumbling about as my young acolyte rushed to my assistance, and the driver/flowmaster, appalled at his faux-pas, apologized for his apparent loss of awareness.

So... for those of you who wonder why we walk the Camino, and why some walk more than once, I will answer for the only person I can speak for...me. Humility.If you open yourself up to it it's the gift that keeps on giving. As I think back on that moment I find myself laughing and shaking my head at the clown that I know and all the amusement he has given me all through the years.

Remember...one foot in front of the other, and keep on walking.

Buen Camino.
Your funny story gave me a good laugh with my morning cuppa John!! Thanks for telling it:)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back