Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Crossover from Primitivo to Norte: O Camiño Verde

Discussion in 'The Camino Primitivo' started by notion900, Mar 19, 2017.

1. notion900

notion900 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago (2007). Camino del Norte Santander to Colunga (2010). Via de la Plata Sevilla to Villafranca de los Barros (2014). Camino Primitivo x Camino del Norte Salas to Santiago (2016).
    Just to remind fellow pilgrims of the freshly updated status of the unofficial crossover from Lugo on the Primitivo to Sobrado dos Monxes on the Norte: José Manuel Sánchez Grande from Friol @xmsg updated the whole route last autumn and repainted the green arrows.

Resource link. with links to José's blog, directions, wikiloc routes etc.

Link to the most recent thread on this subject.

If you have questions, I can try to help, I am not sure how often José logs into this forum, but a PM should alert him via email.

Help support alternative routes, as they spread the economic benefits of pilgrimage more fairly for the Spanish people.

@ivar any chance of a pin on this post?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Ignacio, peregrino_tom, petro and 2 others like this.
  2. norelle

norelle Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
    I think many Primitivo pilgrims are using this link!

When I arrived at Sobrado dos Monxes in October while walking a very quiet Norte there were many pilgrims there!

buen camino

3. notion900

notion900 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago (2007). Camino del Norte Santander to Colunga (2010). Via de la Plata Sevilla to Villafranca de los Barros (2014). Camino Primitivo x Camino del Norte Salas to Santiago (2016).
    @norelle do you mean in the regular dorms? I know Sobrado hosts people in the upstairs rooms and the gatehouse as well, on different programs.

4. norelle

norelle Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
    yes @notion900, in the regular dorms! It may have been that we caught up with Norte pilgrims as (for some reason) we walked 40kms that day!!??

As we arrived late I didn't get to chat to many pilgrims but I do know that some were from the Primitivo.

Vespers was offered in one of the upstairs rooms I recall. I really wish we had arrived earlier as I would have liked to explore a bit more.

buen camino

5. notion900

notion900 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I know Sobrado is a honeypot - people walk fewer or more km just to stay there. But very encouraging to hear that some were from the Primitivo. Wow!

It's really a worthwhile thing to try to start up different routes. The local authorities can be really unhelpful - I got no info whatever from the two pilgrim offices in Lugo or the albergue there. And José has to show the mayor of Friol the positive comments on his blog to get any support! But when you see how people can be economically struggling and villages just dying, off the caminos, it brings it home that some people are making a lot of money and many more are not. It's my dream that Spain is criss-crossed with routes, so everyone can choose to be alone or in company, people can start up albergues and make a living, and everyone benefits. Instead of treating the French Way like some kind of funnel of humanity.

Dinkumdigger, petro, TerryB and 4 others like this.
  6. NualaOC

NualaOC Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés: 2013,14 & 15 (in 3 stages)
    Inglés: (A Coruña to Muxia) 2015
    Baztanés: 2016 & 2017
    Primitivo: 2016
    Norte: 2017 & 18 (in 3 stages)
    This was one of the highlights of our Camino Primitivo last year. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone seeking two days of relative solitude.

notion900 likes this.
  7. notion900

notion900 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    That's great to hear. And I can strongly recommend the idyllic summer swimming pool in Friol ! :cool:

NualaOC likes this.