• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crowds- Please read all the questions below

nancy300

Is the El Camino Frances (St. Jean to Santiago) crowded with people from the beginning/in the middle/to the end? Or are there stretches of isolation between St. Jean and Santiago?

What is the approximate percentage of females walking the El Camino? Or will I be one of the only females on the El Camino Frances? I am a female walking alone and I would like to be around large crowds rather than one lone female walking for a mile or two.

This post is really addressed to women, because women know what I'm talking about. Men are also welcome to answer, but I notice that men feel safe everywhere and typically don't understand why women feel sketchy about traveling alone. No offense to anyone. :)

Thanks,

Nancy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm doing the Camino at the moment. There are lots of single women doing it. Don't worry about it. The long stretches of walking makes one feel as though one is the only person on the Camino. I in Pamplona so it has not been crowded as of yet. Buen camino Jiggy

Hi Jiggy,

Thanks for the reply...

So when you are on the long stretches, you don't see anyone else on the trail for miles?
That might freak me out a bit, I was told that there would be large crowds on the trails at all times during June, July, and August.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have not walked the Camino yet, but I recently read a book called What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim by Jane Christmas, which is about her Camino. She started out with a group and then ended up walking alone for much of the camino, walking with various others at times, but not with her group. It is an interesting read and gives a good account of one woman's experience walking alone on the Camino.

Well, I'm a single woman and, TBH, I don't generally understand why women get freaked out about traveling alone either. Particularly not in an easy place like the Camino. As a woman who has traveled solo for years, the only time I've ever felt uncomfortable was when I happened to be standing in front of a mosque in Egypt when the call to worship went out and a bunch of Egyptian dudes started rushing toward me. And that was less about me being a woman than me being an *American* woman alone in the ME 2 weeks after 9/11.

Walking alone will be one of the best parts of the Camino. The odds that it'll never happen to you are probably close to zero so you should probably embrace it and use the time to try to look inside of yourself. If you're worried about safety, there's really no need. If you're unable to be alone, that's probably a good thing to look at while you're walking because being alone is one of life's best pleasures.

Good luck on your walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With your inner thoughts Vagabondette.
Beautifully worded.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Not to get to personal ... but I am sure that I am not the only woman who has been a victim of violent crime. I can tell you that being a victim of violent crime twice already certainly makes me question walking the Camino alone since I have no idea how safe the areas are- And no I was not walking like a target, I have had years of Karate. I just ran into some really bad luck because I was living in a high crime area. Also, I went to Spain alone in 2000 and I had a grand time all by my lonesome so I am not afraid to be alone. Besides Spain I traveled across the US on my own at the young wee age of 23 and I had a grand time as well. Being alone is not the issue. I just don't want to spend the money to get to Spain and then find out that it's not safe for women to do the route alone.

Again, thanks everyone and keep providing me with your ideas and suggestions

I really appreciate all the replies
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having also been the survivor of violent crime, I don't let my past control my future. And yes, I use survivor purposely because I refuse to be a victim. Once you get into the walk you may relax. You'll have a hard time during high season NOT finding people to walk with but being shackled to someone else for 24/7 - particularly a stranger - may be a bit much for anyone to take. Good luck.

vagabondette said:
Having also been the survivor of violent crime, I don't let my past control my future. And yes, I use survivor purposely because I refuse to be a victim. Once you get into the walk you may relax. You'll have a hard time during high season NOT finding people to walk with but being shackled to someone else for 24/7 - particularly a stranger - may be a bit much for anyone to take. Good luck.

that's a good point about being "shackled" to someone else 24/7 (especially a stranger)-

Also there's a fine line between letting your past control future and learning from experience - I consider myself in the category of learning from experience.

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate it.

nancy300 said:
vagabondette said:

that's a good point about being "shackled" to someone else 24/7 (especially a stranger)-

Also there's a fine line between letting your past control future and learning from experience - I consider myself in the category of learning from experience.

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate it.

Which month is more crowded? July or August?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In July the albergues will be full early
In August the albergues will be full early.
Currently the albergues are full early.

Thornley said:
In July the albergues will be full early
In August the albergues will be full early.
Currently the albergues are full early.

Dang, should I bring an ultralight tent to sleep on the hostel grounds because all the hostels are full early? I can not afford to pay for a pension too many nights. I am a teacher and we make crap salary.

Thanks for your input,

Search for the latest stats but I think August is usually busiest for arrivals in Santiago. It doesn't necessarily follow that July is the busiest for departures from SJPP due to the number of people joining the Camino later.

I was chatting to the woman running the bar in Uterga (Navarra) earlier this year and she said their busiest time was usually September, which surprised me.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
tyrrek said:
Search for the latest stats but I think August is usually busiest for arrivals in Santiago. It doesn't necessarily follow that July is the busiest for departures from SJPP due to the number of people joining the Camino later.

I was chatting to the woman running the bar in Uterga (Navarra) earlier this year and she said their busiest time was usually September, which surprised me.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for the info :)

I'm not there now, but based on last year, I would say that as a solo walker, you will have an easier time getting a bed than those of use walking with a few other people. We had to go to a hotel once or twice (but that was okay with me) when there were only one or two beds left at albergues. Hostals and pensions are not as expensive as you might imagine, and if you need to, you might find someone in the same boat who could go in with you for a night. Most double rooms in Spain have two single beds, btw. We lashed two together with bungee cords to make a bed for the three of us one time!

For the record, there were plenty of times when we were walking without other pilgrims last year. If you start and stop walking early, you will probably always have company. We were alone when we started out late (after 8:00) or kept walking late (after 2:00 or 3:00).

3walkingtoSantiago said:
I'm not there now, but based on last year, I would say that as a solo walker, you will have an easier time getting a bed than those of use walking with a few other people. We had to go to a hotel once or twice (but that was okay with me) when there were only one or two beds left at albergues. Hostals and pensions are not as expensive as you might imagine, and if you need to, you might find someone in the same boat who could go in with you for a night. Most double rooms in Spain have two single beds, btw. We lashed two together with bungee cords to make a bed for the three of us one time!

For the record, there were plenty of times when we were walking without other pilgrims last year. If you start and stop walking early, you will probably always have company. We were alone when we started out late (after 8:00) or kept walking late (after 2:00 or 3:00).

Thanks for the info- very helpful :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Nancy,
I can understand how you feel. When walking alone one's thoughts turn inwards and you can miss an arrow or waymarker. I was often anxious if I hadn't seen other pilgrims for a while because in the absence of yellow arrows, seeing them ahead of me was often confirmation that I was on the right track.
There will be other women starting out who are just as nervous, or more so, than you. You seem to be a confident person - befriend the not-so-brave and offer to walk with them when possible. Until you settle into the daily routine of the Camino, start out in the morning when most of the pilgrims start walking.

If you are using John Brieley's guide book, plan on staying at the smaller places inbetween his daily stages. Most people follow his stages as though they are the official places to stay. You'll have more chance of getting a bed in the smaller albergues than in the larger towns. If you have a guide, with accommodation contact numbers, you could phone ahead for a place in a private albergue. These are generally no different from the other albergues besides the fact they are privately owned and you can reserve beds if you want to.

If you are planning on taking a mobile phone (recommended) 112 is the world-wide emergency number on mobile phones. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days – and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062. Put these numbers in your phone before you leave home.

Whichever month you choose to walk, I hope you have a wonderful Camino experience.

Thanks for the emergency ph numbers, i had wondered if a situation arose what No. to call

On the other subject a girl i briefly walked with was confronted by a hooded flasher jus prior to entering Villafranca (the 2nd village of that name) when chased him he ran off like a scared rabbit, unfortunately these weidos wait until a solo or easy target passes and there is no-one else arround. The authorities di not appear to take her complaint too seriously.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kivhe2

nancy300 said:
So when you are on the long stretches, you don't see anyone else on the trail for miles? That might freak me out a bit ...
Hi Nancy, Although I often walked without seeing anyone in front or behind me, if I stopped (e.g. to write in my journal or to have something to eat) someone or a group of people would come along a few minutes later. Then another a few minutes after that, then ... etc.

Without fail every person who passed me by stopped to ask if I were OK. You might set off alone but the pilgrim community is a very caring one and you very quickly lose the feeling of aloneness.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim Numbers

July 2011 30,880
August 2011 41,514

These are arrival statistics for the Pilgrim Office. Some number of pilgrims don't get a Compostela/Completion Certificate. Some pilgrims walk for a couple of weeks in the middle, so they are not in the statistics. An August arrival may have walked mostly in July, or finishes in September, so is not in the numbers.

Nancy

As you have probably surmised the Camino Frances is well populated with fellow pilgrims and I hope that reassures you. It may further reassure you to know that here in the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago whilst pilgrims very occasionally mention that the have seen flashers we know of no incidences of violent crime towards female pilgrims.

Buen Camino

John

Hi All!

I just have a point to make about interpretation of people's behaviour on the Camino. Let me give you an example.

I was walking this March with an (also male) peregrino somewhere in the middle of the Camino where the path ran alongside a major road. While walking and chatting a truck passed by from behind us, pipped his horn and when we looked up a hand was waving enthusiastically from the cab window.

As males, we took his gesture to mean 'Wow! Pilgrims! I'm going to give them a bit of encouragement, and maybe I'll get a bit of reflected glory in the eyes of St James. We're fellow travellers after all'. We waved back and he was remembered in the cathedral in Santiago.

As females, I guess the same gesture could be interpreted as a lewd reference to their physical appearance or even offensive. Interestingly the same truck driver didn't acknowledge our female walking partner who was a few hundred metres behind, possibly for that reason.

I hope this post isn't offensive to anyone - it's not meant to be offensive. I just think that when you take on the identity of a 'pilgrim', people can react to you a bit differently from how you might expect, or for different reasons than you would normally expect.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
tyrrek said:
As males, we took his gesture to mean 'Wow! Pilgrims! I'm going to give them a bit of encouragement, and maybe I'll get a bit of reflected glory in the eyes of St James. We're fellow travellers after all'. We waved back and he was remembered in the cathedral in Santiago.

As females, I guess the same gesture could be interpreted as a lewd reference to their physical appearance or even offensive.
It may appear offensive to a young woman but one of the benefits of being on the wrong side of 50 is that you can accept the pipping and waving as encouragement. I loved it. What a wonderful lift to the spirit it is to be acknowledged when you're trudging along beside a busy road.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've never understood why women get offended by this kind of thing. When someone finds you attractive it's a compliment even if you don't return the sentiment. Take it for what it is and keep on walkin'. I will admit, it took a while to get used to this kind of thing as it's much more prevalent in Latin America but even when I lived in the US it would just make me laugh. Now, if the person is yelling something offensive, that's something different but just honking/waving/etc. is harmless and can be an ego boost if you don't take it and/or yourself too seriously.

I've never understood why women get offended by this kind of thing.
For much the same reason that American Indians do not like being made into mascots. It objectifies the person. Outside of Hollywood, most people are not their appearance, which is genetic. They have made themselves into individuals, often quite different from the superficiality of their appearance. Why would they care if you find them attractive? Wouldn''t they be more interested in finding you attractive? When the construction worker whistles at women during his lunch hour, is it really successful? Is it about him or the women? His ego or theirs? The women want him to doff his hard hat and go on a date? There is actually a lot to understand about women getting offended if one thinks about it a bit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year I experienced this for the first time, on my first camino: horns honking, arms waving from lorries, vans and cars, and many shouting out "Bom camino!" and I was still many days walk from Santiago. I found it uplifting and encouraging.... enjoy!
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

The most prolific honkers seem to be when you're walking up the bank to cross the motorway bridge just before Hospital de Orbigo. :D

p.s. On reflection, the most enthusiastically loud bread van driver I saw was also in Hospital de Orbigo last year. Maybe they just have a thing about horns there.

falcon269 said:
I've never understood why women get offended by this kind of thing.
For much the same reason that American Indians do not like being made into mascots. It objectifies the person. Outside of Hollywood, most people are not their appearance, which is genetic. They have made themselves into individuals, often quite different from the superficiality of their appearance. Why would they care if you find them attractive? Wouldn''t they be more interested in finding you attractive? When the construction worker whistles at women during his lunch hour, is it really successful? Is it about him or the women? His ego or theirs? The women want him to doff his hard hat and go on a date? There is actually a lot to understand about women getting offended if one thinks about it a bit.

Meh. I see, in theory, why women should be offended. Objectification, superficiality, blah, blah, blah. The reality is, while most people are not their appearance, that IS what most people are judged by, particularly on first meeting and when someone is passing them at 30 km/hour in a car. Thinking this isn't true, unfortunate as it is, is naive, at best. Getting upset about something like a honk/whistle only effects you and it generally has a negative effect (if you let it). The dude who did it is long gone and doesn't give a crap if you spend the next couple hours stewing about what a bastard his was for objectifying you, so while your day is in the crapper, he's telling his friends about the hot chick on the side of the road.

Why give some random stranger that much power over your feelings when getting upset about it won't change anything? I am the only one who has control over how I react to things so if something negative happens and there's nothing I can do about it, I prefer to look on the bright side of the experience and keep on trucking rather than lingering on the bad. Certainly, if you're in the position to communicate to the comment-maker in a safe way (which would be unusual), then you should explain to them why their comments are inappropriate and why they should stop. If they don't then that is a whole other problem. But, IMO, your feelings about the experience should last for about as long as it takes that person to leave your orbit and allowing them to be negative only brings bad energy into your world and who needs that?

Regarding the NA/Mascot thing, I don't think it is the same thing. In that case, the NAs have the ability to confront and educate the offenders about why it's an insulting practice and the offender needs to change their team/whatever name. This is not the same thing as a drive-by whistle/honk combo to which there is no recourse against the offender and getting upset/offended only impacts the honkee and is only negative if the honkee lets it be.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
vagabondette said:
This is not the same thing as a drive-by whistle/honk combo to which there is no recourse against the offender and getting upset/offended only impacts the honkee and is only negative if the honkee lets it be.
I agree totally. To give a slightly different example - last year I did a Nordic Walking course: half a dozen of us - men and women, all ages - trotting round the local footpaths with our poles - ski-ing without skis.... :D
One evening, a group of youths spotted us and yelled out a lot of insulting 4 letter stuff, which we of course ignored. For to react in any way is just to give these morons encouragement. Which of course we all know.
However, the sad part was that a couple of our group were really upset by this, and discontinued their training walks.

Sojourner47 said:
vagabondette said:
This is not the same thing as a drive-by whistle/honk combo to which there is no recourse against the offender and getting upset/offended only impacts the honkee and is only negative if the honkee lets it be.
I agree totally. To give a slightly different example - last year I did a Nordic Walking course: half a dozen of us - men and women, all ages - trotting round the local footpaths with our poles - ski-ing without skis.... :D
One evening, a group of youths spotted us and yelled out a lot of insulting 4 letter stuff, which we of course ignored. For to react in any way is just to give these morons encouragement. Which of course we all know.
However, the sad part was that a couple of our group were really upset by this, and discontinued their training walks.
Pity I couldn't have sent those perps to jail.... :lol:

Yup. I don't believe in giving other people, or things outside of my control, power over me, my actions, my emotions or my thoughts. I live my life the way I want to live it and if other people don't like or understand it, I don't really care. :) I will say that after several years of defending my choices and lifestyle I can probably be a bit militant and unsympathetic to those who tend to worry and that is probably something I should work on as sympathy and understanding are good traits. But for me, worrying or getting upset about something that is out of your control is a pointless endeavor and I just don't understand people who do it. It just wastes your time and energy which would be better spent focused on things you can control.

My response (at least internally) to those who dropped out would probably have been an unsympathetic "Get over it! why do you care what some snot-nosed kids think about you? Grow up and move on!" :)

I get a lot of crap from people because I live in Mexico. I could get shot by drug dealers, die in a landslide or earthquake or volcano, get kidnapped, get Montezuma's revenge, get swine flu or fall victim to all manner of other disasters, natural or otherwise. My response is generally "yep, any of those things could happen - or none of them, in which case I'd have been missing out on all these great experiences."

It may appear offensive to a young woman but one of the benefits of being on the wrong side of 50 is that you can accept the pipping and waving as encouragement. I loved it. What a wonderful lift to the spirit it is to be acknowledged when you're trudging along beside a busy road.[/quote]

Hey Julie. We aren't on the wrong side of 50, we are on the "other side of 50". :D And, I for one am lovin' every minute of it. Julie too.

Nancy.
Do not worry. On the Camino Frances it is a bigger problem to get some minutes alone than not seeing other people.
Take care at the airports and at communication to and from airports. It is a bigger chance to be in trouble there than on the camino.
Randi

Iam on the camino madrid.I have traveled to any countries. BUTT we have one world...........problems are ALL the same. Use you head whereever you are!

I've put my foot in it again and sparked off a mini Camino riot. Just to clarify, my original point was that if someone pips their horn at you it may be less about your gender, or body shape, or facial features, or age, and more about the shell on your backpack. Buenos Caminos!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was walking this March with an (also male) peregrino somewhere in the middle of the Camino where the path ran alongside a major road. While walking and chatting a truck passed by from behind us, pipped his horn and when we looked up a hand was waving enthusiastically from the cab window.

Hi Tyrrek
I've frequently been tooted at on caminos, it is more common in some places than others, but I am sure that it is meant as an encouragement, and is an acknowledgement of my status as a pilgrim. In my case it certainly isn't an appreciation of my body shape; being on the other side of 60! I welcome any encouragement that comes my way. I reckon that, on the Camino, where there can be any doubt about someones intentions we should believe them to be good.
I smile and say 'Buenos dias' to every one I pass and wave at anyone who cares to wave at me. They sometimes look surprised but it seems to work. :)

it may be less about your gender, or body shape, or facial features, or age, and more about the shell on your backpack
Dang. I thought they were hot for me ...

Sorry Falcon. Life's tough, but other than on the Camino you'll do fine without truckers coming up from behind pipping their horns. :D

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sulu said:
I welcome any encouragement that comes my way. I reckon that, on the Camino, where there can be any doubt about someones intentions we should believe them to be good.
I totally agree, Sulu. And being positive is not the same as being naiive.

Buen Camino!

I'm over 70 and will be on the road next April - how do I get the toots as well? Otherwise I will feel left out!! :D

Melbrob said:
I'm over 70 and will be on the road next April - how do I get the toots as well? Otherwise I will feel left out!! :D
Melbrob, I'm not 70 but I'm no spring chicken either. Nor am I George Clooney. If I can get a toot anyone can. Just distinguish the 'pip, pip, pip, pip, piiiiiiip' with the driver hanging out of the car from the normal mayhem. That's when you've been tooted. :D

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Being alone...
I teach Health and Social Care in the 'real World' and I have come to the realisation that at the end of the day we are all 'alone'. And some of the most unhappy and lonely people are in close proximity to their loved ones yet still feel very alone. Many of the mental health problems faced in today's world are due to our inability to be alone, and I agree with Vagabondette - being alone is one of life's greatest pleasures. Only when we are alone in the middle of nowhere, completely dependent on ourselves for survival and amusement, can we be completely and authentically ourselves. :wink:

Juliec55 said:
Hey Julie. We aren't on the wrong side of 50, we are on the "other side of 50". :D And, I for one am lovin' every minute of it. Julie too.
Thanks for rephrasing. I'm lovin' every minute of it as well. I was on the "other side of 50" when I first walked the Camino but should confess to now being on the "other side of 60".

May the toots keep coming, they certainly put a spring in my step!

Since getting rid of the car a few months ago, I've bought a trailer for my bike, which comes in handy for shopping and generally carting stuff about.
Last week I was pedalling down the road with trailer attached, when a lorry driver coming the other way tooted and waved at me.....
As I'm a sixty-something man, I'm a mite concerned that someone with such obvious bad eyesight should be in charge of a large goods vehicle..... :lol:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Melbrob said:
I got toots last year [as mentioned before] on the Camino Portuguese. I was 72. I don't think anyone wanted my body, but we can dream ....

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Sojourner47 said:
As I'm a sixty-something man, I'm a mite concerned that someone with such obvious bad eyesight should be in charge of a large goods vehicle..... :lol:

He might have been a cycling fanatic and admiring the trailer or just liked the look of you. ;)

I just hope it was the trailer he fancied - though as I didn't really look, it's quite possible it was a female truck driver..... :D
Not unusually, this thread seems to have strayed somewhat from the OP's original question......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sojourner47 said:
I just hope it was the trailer he fancied - though as I didn't really look, it's quite possible it was a female truck driver..... :D
Not unusually, this thread seems to have strayed somewhat from the OP's original question......
Despite the title, the OP was largely gender based. And we males were even very graciously deemed 'welcome' to respond from the start.

My fault for taking things off on a bit of a tangent, although it seemed vaguely relevant at that stage of the thread.

Buen Camino!

nancy300 said:
Men are also welcome to answer, but I notice that men feel safe everywhere and typically don't understand why women feel sketchy about traveling alone. No offense to anyone. :)
Many young and not-so-young ladies have answered Nancy's questions, and the "welcomed men" put a pinch of salt to the subject :lol:
Women living in Latin countries are quite used to male attentions and often don't bother. For them it is obvious that males are beeping/whistling/making remarks when seeing an attractive person of the other sex. Particularly if she exposes critical assets. (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder :roll: )
Polite ignorance and a firm NO to advances usually settle the issue. If by chance someone pinches your bottom (i.e. becomes "Latin physical") a slap in the face of the offender is most effective. Latin women are used to handle things this way :) .
The bottom line is: stay alert but don't worry excessively :D

" If by chance someone pinches your bottom (i.e. becomes "Latin physical") a slap in the face of the offender is most effective. "

I'm still waiting for someone to pinch my bum.

Stephen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stephen Nicholls said:
" If by chance someone pinches your bottom (i.e. becomes "Latin physical") a slap in the face of the offender is most effective. "

I'm still waiting for someone to pinch my bum.

Stephen.

If I see you on the route, I'll do it for ya! :)

Seriously though, it it happens, start yelling at them. Latinas are...vociferous... :) A little embarrassment and attention should sent him running. If someone is worried about this, take a self defense class it'll give you some confidence.

A few months ago some guy tried to grab me on the street. Never found out if he was trying to do the latin grope thing, rob me or had something more dastardly in mind because instinct kicked in and, after doing some serious damage to his testicular area I'm pretty sure I broke his nose. I suspect he won't be grabbing any gringas for a while.

In more than 22 years of solo travel through many, many countries and cities large and small, this is the only time something like this happened. And, as is typical, it happened close to home where I was relaxed vs. while traveling when I'm on my guard and more alert to what is going on around me.

vagabondette said:
A few months ago some guy tried to grab me on the street. Never found out if he was trying to do the latin grope thing, rob me or had something more dastardly in mind because instinct kicked in and, after doing some serious damage to his testicular area I'm pretty sure I broke his nose. I suspect he won't be grabbing any gringas for a while.
Hi Vagabondette. Was this on the Camino?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
tyrrek said:
vagabondette said:
Hi Vagabondette. Was this on the Camino?

No. Apologies for any confusion. This happened in the town where I live in mexico. It was more a demonstration that things can happen anywhere and are actually more likely to happen at home where you're relaxed than while on the road when you're more alert because you're in unfamiliar areas.

Phew! Glad to hear it. None of my Camino sisters have had any problems of that nature, and nobody should expect it. It's perfectly normal to see women - pilgrims and locals - walking alone into bars etc (which are often being run by women) and not expect any problems. In my experience the Spanish are proud of now being a 'modern' country and would not want to disgrace themselves in front of foreigners especially. If anything I think a female pilgrim would be treated more like a nun than a sex object.

Buen Camino!

Just to return to the OP, there was a suggestion that perhaps men don't feel concerned or may not be as aware of the trepidation that a woman might feel walking alone. Having walked the Camino, I can say in all honesty that I was more concerned walking through the bigger towns and cities than I was when out in the middle of the countryside. But that would hold true at home too. Wherever there are large groups of people there will also be those that want to take advantage of them.

Being aware of your surroundings and keeping a mindful but not paranoid eye on those around you goes a long way to staying safe. I believe that 99% of the people I've encountered, and will encounter, on the Camino are trustworthy, but I don't think that lessens my responsibility to take care of myself and my possessions and to keep an eye out for the 1%.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
dazzamac said:
Just to return to the OP, there was a suggestion that perhaps men don't feel concerned or may not be as aware of the trepidation that a woman might feel walking alone. Having walked the Camino, I can say in all honesty that I was more concerned walking through the bigger towns and cities than I was when out in the middle of the countryside. But that would hold true at home too. Wherever there are large groups of people there will also be those that want to take advantage of them.

Being aware of your surroundings and keeping a mindful but not paranoid eye on those around you goes a long way to staying safe. I believe that 99% of the people I've encountered, and will encounter, on the Camino are trustworthy, but I don't think that lessens my responsibility to take care of myself and my possessions and to keep an eye out for the 1%.
I have travelled in some really suspect places.."Slumdog millionaire" setting was one.
I am with Dazzamac on this one. I have met many many ladies travelling on their own. They said they are careful, hang with older guys so they don't get "hit on", don't flirt, don't drink to much and dress accordingly or to custom. and otherwise have not had any trouble. I do the same ;)

I walked the Camino Frances last year with a female friend, we're both in our forties. We started in St Jean and walked together - not always side by side, sometimes hours apart - until Leon, where she was told by a doctor that she shouldn't walk on due to an injury. It was heartbreaking for her and I felt really sorry for her and sad that she had to leave, but I never once contemplated stopping. By then I knew what I was doing and knew that was as safe as I could possibly be amongst so many friendly and caring strangers. And being 'on my own' on the Camino was a great experience too! I saw lots of single women walking, forming friendships, catching up in groups, moving on, taking rest days when they felt like it, basically doing their own thing. If I wanted company, it was never far away, and if I wanted to be on my own, it felt okay to say so in a nice way - after a few weeks people understand and respect that your Camino is your one constant companion and your first priority (if that makes sense?). Even though I never planned on going solo I never felt afraid on the Camino. Neither the other pilgrims nor the people in the countryside ever made me feel uncomfortable or in danger. I was more worried in towns and cities and felt more alone there, but go to the main municipals and you'll be surrounded by pilgrims again. Also make sure you go to a biggish albergue the first night and I'm sure someone will offer you a place at their table or strike up a conversation - we're all in this together and excited to get going! If you start in St Jean there are albergues with communal meals which means you get to know a bunch of fresh peregrinos on your first night, stopping at Orrison is also great for getting to know people. Then just make sure you leave in the big exodus in the morning, and you can walk by yourself but with people just in front and behind, or meet others who walk at your speed and whose company you enjoy. Being on your own can be a good thing, because you can listen to your body and your heart when you decide what you want to do, you don't have to follow anyone else. I'm sure you will be fine and that your Camino will be a safe and rewarding experience!

Buen Camino,
Linda

I can definately understand all comments made on this topic .

We ARE all survivors because we are still here- breathing I mean.

Someone made the comment below:
"Well, I'm a single woman and, TBH, I don't generally understand why women get freaked out about traveling alone either"

The IMPORTANT things to remember are
* All of Life is a Camino
* We are all ( age has nothing to do with anything) at different stages of our Life Camino
* There are no points to be scored by thinking we are "ahead" of the others

To too am a single woman - in my 50s - who enjoys to travel alone BUT that does not mean I do not feel a sense of trepidation at times. But I have "practiced" being alone- and it is like anything else - the more you practice the better you get at something. I acknowledge that we are all at different stages- whatever the stage doesnt matter.

So Buen Camino to all :) . May we all support each other - for in doing so we help ourselves as well.

Annie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
to all present and future peregrinas walking the camino frances,

i am sorry to hear of previous bad experiences encountered by women in their own countries. but please don't let one bad experience clouds your thinking. for your info, i am an american male, have lived in different countries in europe for 36 years and currently retired. i go in and out of spain 3-5 times a year.

i can assured you spain is a very safe country. the camino frances is also very, very safe for a woman to walk. in the camino you will never be alone. you may start off alone from sjpdp or roncevalles alone
but you will eventually link up with other fellows peregrinos/as. whether you prefer to walk alone or with others is up to you. this is your camino!!!

i am speaking of my experience after walking two caminos. there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

i wish you all a buen camino and god bless.

For the people that wonder why people would rather not answer honks etc the risk is you encourage a wierdo.

If they honk at you and you wave back is that an invitation?

while I agree that the Camino is fairly safe, and safer than a lot of places, please also remember that idiots and abuse takes place everywhere. In peoples homes, workplace, when travelling and also on the Camino.

Giving the impression that the Camino is the safest place in the world may give some a false sense of security.

Bad stuff happens every where just not as often in some places as in others...

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back