• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Bryan's inspiring story of overcoming muscular dystrophy while hiking the Camino Frances and Portuguese Camino

stevepjq

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2013, 2017, 2022. Next is Sept 2024
I start my third Camino two months from today and was doing some research this morning. I came across a short story (the link is found below). As I opened this webpage, the picture at the top of the story took me aback. I saw a young man that I met in advance of Rabanal del Camino back in 2017. I walked with him a bit and later shared a beer once in town. Three years later he tracked me down and it turned out we live only 30 minutes apart in New Jersey. So I once again met up with him over a beer or two.
Do yourself a favor and read Bryan's inspiring story as he climbed the rocks and other assorted mementos of the Cruz de Ferro. Bryan suffers from muscular dystrophy. He hiked the entirety of Frances and subsequently the Portuguese Camino. His spirit is boundless; his determination epitomizes much of what the Camino espouses.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
stevepjq,

Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you for sharing the account of Bryan's perseverence.
Stay safe in the NJ snow today.

Carpe diem!

Beautiful story, well written. Best wishes to Bryan, and thank you for sharing this. The Camino is a physical challenge for anyone, but some of us start out with additional obstacles to overcome that make success even more poignant. Bravo ( and brava) for all those who persevere.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A moving story beautifully written, with lessons that can apply to all of us. We cannot choose our burdens, only how we choose to carry them. Thank you so much for posting this.

I start my third Camino two months from today and was doing some research this morning. I came across a short story (the link is found below). As I opened this webpage, the picture at the top of the story took me aback. I saw a young man that I met in advance of Rabanal del Camino back in 2017. I walked with him a bit and later shared a beer once in town. Three years later he tracked me down and it turned out we live only 30 minutes apart in New Jersey. So I once again met up with him over a beer or two.
Do yourself a favor and read Bryan's inspiring story as he climbed the rocks and other assorted mementos of the Cruz de Ferro. Bryan suffers from muscular dystrophy. He hiked the entirety of Frances and subsequently the Portuguese Camino. His spirit is boundless; his determination epitomizes much of what the Camino espouses.

Thank you for posting. I am heading there in May. Cruz de Ferro is an important stop for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Back