• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruz de Ferro Decorum

BillV

La Tortuga
Time of past OR future Camino
May 4, 2023
After about a month on the Camino, I reached the Cruz de Ferro on May 31. I spent some time reflecting on forgiveness (granting and asking for it) and remembering friends and loved ones who have passed. I then placed my stone. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic; however, I’d envisioned a mostly somber, reverential experience. The reality consisted of people clambering all over the accumulated stones, messages, and ashes placed by other pilgrims and riding bicycles upon these items. Please consider what the materials at the base of the Cruz de Ferro represent to your fellow pilgrims and tread upon them respectfully.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was most fortunate to experience the peacefulness of Cruz de Ferro by arriving there just before sunrise (one advantage of overnighting in Foncebadon instead of Rabanal). The short walk up to the Cruz alone in the early morning air reinforced how special moments like this on the Camino can be. With no more than a couple other pilgrims there with me, the sacredness of this spot wasn’t tarnished by buses full of tourists or clueless hikers. Buen Camino.

15C9ED2F-F588-4245-BCBE-2551B8FEC1FB.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
buses full of tourists or clueless hikers
Ashes. Ashes?

For the record: There is no indication whatsoever that pilgrims brought stones from home and left them at the Cruz de Ferro in earlier centuries.

There is written documentation that local travellers, especially seasonal workers who travelled for work from their homes in Galicia to the fields of Castilla y Leon stopped there to pray for a safe return home and threw a stone on the pile (19th and 20th century). This is why some Spanish pilgrims know of a tradition of picking up a stone and throwing it over their shoulder, with their backs turned to the heap of stones.

IOW, not everybody is familiar with a modern narrative that you are familiar with because you watched the movie and read it in your guidebook or on blogs on the internet.

It is the first time that I read that people leave ashes, i.e. human remains there - or at least believe that this is done.

I do understand how meaningful the Cruz de Ferro narrative and experience can be but there is an increasing tendency to assign a sacralisation to this heap of stones that many others are simply not aware of.

In my humble opinion, it would be better if there were only plain stones there and nothing else. It would certainly decrease the interest in climbing around there and looking at what others have left.

In my humble opinion, it would be better if there were only plain stones there and nothing else.
On my first Camino I read about the custom of throwing a stone on the pile in Elias Valiña's guidebook. Valiña suggests it originated as a boundary marker between the Maragateria and Bierzo. Nothing there about bringing a stone from home or the stone itself having personal mystical significance. I remember it as being a far simpler monument with only stones and not the huge accretion of tat which marks it today. Interesting how so much symbolic meaning has been attributed to the place in so little time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At least 3 tour buses pulled up while I was there about 2 weeks ago. The place was overflowing with people. Nothing about the place felt reverent or mystical. It was a place for a photo op.

I know many won't agree with this, but I think that any sacredness in a place is not really in the place itself but in how we see and treat it. The meaning is in us. If a modern pilgrim invests a place with sacredness, it isn't any less sacred because pilgrims centuries ago didn't so invest it.

On the other hand, because the sacredness isn't inherent in the place, we can't necessarily say that people are profaning it if it is not sacred to them.

Common courtesy is to be respectful in a place we recognize that others regard as sacred (e.g. in houses of worship). But clearly not everyone recognizes the Cruz de Ferro as such a place.

There are many favorite stops along The Way that are touristy/circus like now more then ever before and I’m sorry you had to experience this in what, in my opinion, should be a peaceful place for all.

I was fortunate to experience the tranquility of Cruz de Ferro on my first in 2013 and again on my third in 2019. Perhaps one day you will return and know to visit near sunrise or evening. May I suggest staying in Foncebadon, a short walk the next morning. 😊

Sept 2013
Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%20374.jpeg
August 2019
IMG_4232.jpeg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Newer Members, and those who missed it first time around, might enjoy this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/is-this-true.26343/#post-210386
an interesting discussion on the origins of the Cruz Ferro mythologies and an example of this forum in good form
A splendid old thread and a reminder of valued contributors and moderators past and present.

I’ve passed the Cruz five or six times, mostly when the road-menders shovels have recycled the contributions to improve the local infrastructure. The first time, more memorably when through the mist and driving snow the cross itself was barely visible.

I do hope nobody actually believes their contribution will remain there in perpetuity; the cross would have disappeared long ago if that were the case. The mortal remains of the dear departed along with mineral samples from every country may well be infilling a pothole on the nearest RN in a few years time.

Last edited:
I was most fortunate to experience the peacefulness of Cruz de Ferro by arriving there just before sunrise (one advantage of overnighting in Foncebadon instead of Rabanal). The short walk up to the Cruz alone in the early morning air reinforced how special moments like this on the Camino can be. With no more than a couple other pilgrims there with me, the sacredness of this spot wasn’t tarnished by buses full of tourists or clueless hikers. Buen Camino.

View attachment 148375
I had this same fortune to arrive at Cruz de Ferro just before sunrise. I spent about 15min alonein front of this cross with my headtorch on and then watched sunrise and the first pilgrims arriving. I consider this as one of the best experiences of my life.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After about a month on the Camino, I reached the Cruz de Ferro on May 31. I spent some time reflecting on forgiveness (granting and asking for it) and remembering friends and loved ones who have passed. I then placed my stone. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic; however, I’d envisioned a mostly somber, reverential experience. The reality consisted of people clambering all over the accumulated stones, messages, and ashes placed by other pilgrims and riding bicycles upon these items. Please consider what the materials at the base of the Cruz de Ferro represent to your fellow pilgrims and tread upon them respectfully.
This is why I did not leave my stone.
There are 2 more places after that, for me, felt more sacred.

I know many won't agree with this, but I think that any sacredness in a place is not really in the place itself but in how we see and treat it. The meaning is in us. If a modern pilgrim invests a place with sacredness, it isn't any less sacred because pilgrims centuries ago didn't so invest it.

On the other hand, because the sacredness isn't inherent in the place, we can't necessarily say that people are profaning it if it is not sacred to them.

Common courtesy is to be respectful in a place we recognize that others regard as sacred (e.g. in houses of worship). But clearly not everyone recognizes the Cruz de Ferro as such a place.
I agree with you 💯 and also find it is futile to lament the lack of courtesy that often seems to be the norm these days.

A splendid old thread and a reminder of valued contributors and moderators past and present.

I’ve passed the Cruz five or six times, mostly when the road-menders shovels have recycled the contributions to improve the local infrastructure. The first time, more memorably when through the mist and driving snow the cross itself was barely visible.

I do hope nobody actually believes their contribution will remain there in perpetuity; the cross would have disappeared long ago if that were the case. The mortal remains of the dear departed along with mineral samples from every country may well be infilling a pothole on the nearest RN in a few years time.
I love it! I tried explaining this to fellow pilgies years ago and was met with disbelief, hostility and accusations of heresy! I , of course, have my own little spot, quite unseen , where I hang me own relics, symbols and luck charms :)

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For the record: There is no indication whatsoever that pilgrims brought stones from home and left them at the Cruz de Ferro in earlier centuries.

There is written documentation that local travellers, especially seasonal workers who travelled for work from their homes in Galicia to the fields of Castilla y Leon stopped there to pray for a safe return home and threw a stone on the pile (19th and 20th century). This is why some Spanish pilgrims know of a tradition of picking up a stone and throwing it over their shoulder, with their backs turned to the heap of stones.

IOW, not everybody is familiar with a modern narrative that you are familiar with because you watched the movie and read it in your guidebook or on blogs on the internet.

It is the first time that I read that people leave ashes, i.e. human remains there - or at least believe that this is done.

I do understand how meaningful the Cruz de Ferro narrative and experience can be but there is an increasing tendency to assign a sacralisation to this heap of stones that many others are simply not aware of.

In my humble opinion, it would be better if there were only plain stones there and nothing else. It would certainly decrease the interest in climbing around there and looking at what others have left.
I had read that the cairn predates the Romans and probably Christianity.

Being there pre dawn was a highlight of my camino

Attachments

• 20230501_065905.jpg
    20230501_065905.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 38

I'm not surprised. People dump human remains all over Disney World!

-Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I personally found other places to be more thought provoking and spiritual for me. The Cruz was interesting but did not speak to me in ways other places did. I've never been a follow the crowd type so may well have done this to myself!

Hola, you are not alone ! I have made the the Cruz twice, in 2015 & 2017. In 2015 I had time to place my two stones and reflect on where I was and what my actions meant. When I returned in 2017 I had the misfortune to follow a group of twenty or more tourists from a country I will not name but they have descended on Europe like locusts. Anyway, they just barged in on true pilgrims who were placing their stones, taking appropriate photos and absorbing the moment. Then to top it off, I climbed to the top to place my stone only to discover female underwear, a half empty wine bottle and general litter. No not pilgrim notes but used tissues. I was so disappointed, I left without even taking a photo.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
IMG_9383.jpeg
Mid-November 2022

Your comments, notwithstanding the tissue issue, I had a very similar experience with tourists and disrespectful visitors during my 2022 Camino.

I too, was shocked and mortified until I realized that while I considered this a sacred place, not everyone does. I didn't agree with their actions, but I did not judge them. It's not the way I wanted to act on my Camino or in everyday life. They have one way and I have another. That's OK for both of us.

It remains my greatest lesson learned about life and it's reflection - the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I could have written this myself. I found my moment disrupted by an almost football crowd experience by cyclists being extremely loud and standing on the mound waving their bikes in the air. Same cyclist knocked me over on the path down from the cruz going at breakneck speed on a path with the road just a matter of feet away. never even stopped to check on me. One friend described the whole atmosphere as a Disney land experience. On another time, there was no-one else there so it was a very peaceful reflective stop on the journey

When we got there it was busy. We waited for a quiet time.
I placed a stone and felt significance.
I made two vows, one has been done. More to follow???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Saw someone doing this on my second Camino. Wondered what they were doing when they produced a metal urn (which must have been reasonably heavy) from their rucksack. Then proceeded to spread the contents on the rock pile. Then some prayers, sign of the cross and moved on. We exchanged nods.

Each to their own. Maybe that person had done many past caminos and had requested to be spread there.

I had read about the custom of carrying a stone from home to place at the cross and decided I would do so on my first Camino. I am not religious but do believe in positive thinking. What I had, was more of a dilemma than a problem. I had stayed at Foncebadon the night before and left there in the dark with my stone in my hand and gave deep thought to my dilemma on the way up to the cross. On arrival I placed my stone and then went over to the shelter and sat on a seat and talked to the Great Spirit for some time. I was overcome with emotion and cried for a few minutes. I then carried on and never gave any more thought to my dilemma. By the time I got back home to New Zealand I found that my dilemma had resolved itself and I was able to get on happily with my life.. Whether it had anything to do with the cross or if it was the Great Spirit taking pity on me, I do not know but I was very grateful. I do not know when this custom started but I get enjoyment out of following a ritual that has going on for a long time as it makes me feel grounded in doing something that people have been doing for years. Since then I have placed stones because it has now become my custom and I will continue to do so.

I read of one Peregrina that reported she was carrying 2Kg of rocks to the Crux. There's always someone that will over-do it!

-Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back