• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruz de Ferro photographs please

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

I recently read a brief article by an academic in Finland who was asking for information about accumulating cairns. I got in touch to tell them about the Cruz de Ferro and promised that I would send photographs. Unfortunately I then discovered that I have only one photograph but, as the sun was shining so brightly that day, it is almost impossible to see the actual iron cross. Have any forum members better photographs with the cross clearly visible, preferably not group shots, but an individual next to the cross helps to give perspective on the size of the site.

My understanding is that publication of the article in which the photographs will appear is a long way off yet. If anyone has photographs that they would be happy to share, you can send me a p.m. and we can take it from there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Viranani, the first one is perfect, the second one is another beautiful photograph but has the same problem as mine in that it is not easy to see the cross.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recently read a brief article by an academic in Finland who was asking for information about accumulating cairns. I got in touch to tell them about the Cruz de Ferro and promised that I would send photographs. Unfortunately I then discovered that I have only one photograph but, as the sun was shining so brightly that day, it is almost impossible to see the actual iron cross. Have any forum members better photographs with the cross clearly visible, preferably not group shots, but an individual next to the cross helps to give perspective on the size of the site.

My understanding is that publication of the article in which the photographs will appear is a long way off yet. If anyone has photographs that they would be happy to share, you can send me a p.m. and we can take it from there.

these are a few of the Cruz de Ferro, and one of San Andres de Teixido

Attachments

• CF1.JPG
    CF1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • CF2.JPG
    CF2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • CF3.JPG
    CF3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • San Andres.JPG
    San Andres.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
these are a few of the Cruz de Ferro, and one of San Andres de Teixido

Thank you Smallest_Sparrow for the photographs; the sunset image is especially beautiful. Please could you tell me more about San Andres de Teixidol. I think the person in Finland is interested in all accumulating - i.e. places where people still place rocks - cairns, wherever they may be. P.m. me if that is easier.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    782.1 KB · Views: 22

Thank you for this wonderful photo pvamedic58. What I fins interesting about this image is that it must have been taken soon after the site had been 'cleared' and before new stones had accumulated. Makes me wonder what a time lapse camera would show over a year at the site.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi , I have two more pictures .
Wish you all well , Peter .

Thank you for these pictures Peter, they are very good. Again, it looks as if the photographs were taken after a clear up at the cross as it is without embellishments.

Thank you for these pictures Peter, they are very good. Again, it looks as if the photographs were taken after a clear up at the cross as it is without embellishments.
I'm wondering where all the non-rock stuff goes (I assume landfill) and the amount of it each year (I'd be afraid to wonder the cost). For that matter, I imagine the rocks also get carted away (to a rock yard? for road work?) at some point...anyone know how often or where?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cruz%20Ferro_zpsz90i9rvm.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this wonderful photo pvamedic58. What I fins interesting about this image is that it must have been taken soon after the site had been 'cleared' and before new stones had accumulated. Makes me wonder what a time lapse camera would show over a year at the site.
I was not aware that they cleared the site. This was taken Oct 9th.

View attachment 30032

Mine is a bit moody...

Thank you Purky, Rick of Rick and Peg and eviemonkey. Purky said of his/her picture that it is moody and all three postings capture different moods at the same place. Just goes to show how the walk may be repeated but it can never be the same Camino. Even through the lens of a camera (or phone) different people see the same place differently, coloured variously by emotions, weather, companions and seasons.

I thanked Ivar earlier for making a link to a Cruz de Ferro thread and if you click on his link you will discover -for those who haven't already read it - The story of your stone at the Cruz de Ferro, I think it was started by Wayfarer (apologies if I have got this wrong) and we owe him a debt for doing this. A humbling series of posts by forum members.

I was, to say the least, somewhat disappointed with the Cruz. Not the Cruz itself but the way (imho) far to many pilgrims (or others?) had disrespected this pilgrim symbol; half empty bottles of vino tinto; underwear; rubbish. That said here is probably my best photo of the Cruz & the mound, and the little chapple. Good luck with your project. Cheers060.JPG

Last edited:

Attachments

• Cruz de ferro close up.jpg
    Cruz de ferro close up.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Cruz de ferro 3:15.jpg
    Cruz de ferro 3:15.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Ciaran's stone .jpg
    Ciaran's stone .jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Chapel near the Cruz de ferro.jpg
    Chapel near the Cruz de ferro.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 7
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
SEB, there is another place you should turn your friend onto; San Andrés de Teixido is on the coast NE of Ferrol, not so far from where the Camino Ingles starts. It's a Christian pilgrimage site, but was also a pagan one long before that.
I just read this in a blog post (https://tammytourguide.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/san-andres-de-teixido-spains-weirdest-village/ ): there are cairns along the way that are an integral part of the pilgrimage:

"It’s easy to imagine how remote San Andrés de Teixido must have been to the early pilgrims. This village was so hard to reach that it became known as ” San Andrés at the end of the world”.
In earlier centuries, the pilgrims placed stones or “amilladoiros” at different points on their arduous route.
It was believed that on Judgment Day the stones would speak and give testimony to the fulfillment of their pilgrimage."

More information in Galician is here (Google translate is very helpful here!!):
http://patrimoniogalego.net/index.php/2031/2011/06/amilladoiros-no-camino-a-san-andres-de-teixido/

SEB, there is another place you should turn your friend onto; San Andrés de Teixido is on the coast NE of Ferrol, not so far from where the Camino Ingles starts. It's a Christian pilgrimage site, but was also a pagan one long before that.
I just read this in a blog post (https://tammytourguide.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/san-andres-de-teixido-spains-weirdest-village/ ): there are cairns along the way that are an integral part of the pilgrimage:

Whilst it an entertainingly written article with very nice photos, I wouldn't use it as a reliable source, there are several factual mistakes in it. BTW, I have been to San Andres, by car and with a Galician friend who explained many of the customs to me and translated for me when I had questions. I am by no mean an expert, but even I know that sentences like "We also discovered that San Andrés is noted for its famous love herb, which is consumed after Mass as a prelude to a good old-fashioned orgy." are pure fantasy/misunderstanding. There is indeed a love herb, but it is not to prepare for an orgy, it is meant to be used in a love potion ;-) Tiny, but important difference.

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah, I noticed that too and assumed it was a bit of an embellishment.
The link in Galician is much more interesting, actually, besides being more accurate.;)
I think even without the language/translation issues, traditions can be handed down in different ways. I admit first having deplorable Spanish abilities; next, I'm not certain I wasn't being spoken to in dialect, but....when I tried to find out more about the stone leaving tradition, answers varied from (I think) it's new, it's old, it doesn't exist, what, are you crazy, of course it exists...more stuff I couldn't understand...it's that way up the road, no down the road, what, are you crazy, it doesn't exist...:confused:
about the herb (looks like sea thrift to me)--you use it to attract love by picking some, you use it to attract love by slipping it into your intended's pocket secretly, you use it to attract love by giving it to someone, you leave it at the church to attract love, you leave it at the church because you've attracted the love you sought....o_O
the only thing anyone seemed to agree upon when I asked was: you must visit San Andres alive (or come back after death), and it's lucky to drink from the fountain very clearly marked non potable :)

Attachments

• flower ex votos above candles.JPG
    flower ex votos above candles.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • good luck to drink.JPG
    good luck to drink.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Smallest_Sparrow IOW, go figure.
And I bet you were offered each of those answers with absolute unwavering certainty.:D:D

(The older I get the less certain I am about what I think I know...but sadly that doesn't always stop me from offering know it all 'facts' to one and all....;))
sometimes simultaneously and with loud conviction...especially about which way to go to find the rocks, and/or if they existed, and/or why...I fear someone ended up sleeping on the sofa that night

edit: i also carefully filtered, treated, and bottled the water, then gave it to my friends to try first:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Smallest_Sparrow for the photographs; the sunset image is especially beautiful. Please could you tell me more about San Andres de Teixidol. I think the person in Finland is interested in all accumulating - i.e. places where people still place rocks - cairns, wherever they may be. P.m. me if that is easier.

(The older I get the less certain I am about what I think I know...but sadly that doesn't always stop me from offering know it all 'facts' to one and all....;))

Ah, Grannie Joan told me - " I'm the oldest, so they all come to me and ask this and that; should I, shouldn't I, does he, why doesn't he." " How the hell am I supposed to know, I'm old, I worked it out for me-self, why the hell can't they."

Which has got b*ggerall to do with the OP so here is my contribution. IMGP1920.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726.3 KB · Views: 10
I will send you one .this will be with my brother who died ,before he finished the Camino in 2013. So this adds another mood.
Blessingd

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1472647724190.jpg
    FB_IMG_1472647724190.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7
Ah, Grannie Joan told me - " I'm the oldest, so they all come to me and ask this and that; should I, shouldn't I, does he, why doesn't he." " How the hell am I supposed to know, I'm old, I worked it out for me-self, why the hell can't they."
Your Grannie Joan is brilliant. And funny. Thanks, Tincatinker!
(Nice photo too, BTW)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

POK73tkhTOCSYibRUKkIQQ_thumb_6f4a.jpg POK73tkhTOCSYibRUKkIQQ_thumb_6f4a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f4e.jpg POK73tkhTOCSYibRUKkIQQ_thumb_6f4a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f4e.jpg

Hello Ivar,
These are 2 photos from my Brother who died in Triacastella on the 13 of October 2013 before he finishes his Camino.
He sent me a text to say he had put stones there that he took from home here in the UK and they will be there for eternity.
The other is just of the pole and the cross with the beautiful skyline.
I miss him so very much.
I was in Santiago this year to celebrate mass at the Cathedral. We met the Bishop of Santiago who knew we were here to Pray for our Brother and my son who also died the same year
The Camino community is one that remains with you for life.

Blessings to you all.

Hello Ivar,
These are 2 photos from my Brother who died in Triacastella on the 13 of October 2013 before he finishes his Camino.
He sent me a text to say he had put stones there that he took from home here in the UK and they will be there for eternity.
The other is just of the pole and the cross with the beautiful skyline.
I miss him so very much.
I was in Santiago this year to celebrate mass at the Cathedral. We met the Bishop of Santiago who knew we were here to Pray for our Brother and my son who also died the same year
The Camino community is one that remains with you for life.

Blessings to you all.

Thank you so much for sharing these photographs joanjf. I am sorry for the loss of your brother and your son and humbled by your sharing of sadness and also happy memories.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Which has got b*ggerall to do with the OP so here is my contribution. View attachment 30159

Thank you Tincatinker for the lovely quote and even more so for the photograph. I have been waiting for a snowy Cruz de Ferro.

Thank you for sharing this photograph Nelia L Keiser. It is a fascinating image, not least because although there's quite a crowd gathered there,it seems that it is a minority of folks who are concentrating on their cameras I-phones with everyone going their own way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And here is mine....

Thank you jdpiguet for your photograph. I especially like it because it shows the Camino leading up to the cross. with the atmospheric light it reminds me of a painting titled The Angelus - forgotten who by. It may have been taken at dawn or sunset but it communicated a feeling of thanksgiving to me.

Thank you Karen Cap for posting this very moody photograph. looking back over so many photographs of the place it seems odd, that despite it being one of the highest places on the Camino, not many show it shrouded in mist. I really like the sense of enclosure and solitude.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Karen Cap for posting this very moody photograph. looking back over so many photographs of the place it seems odd, that despite it being one of the highest places on the Camino, not many show it shrouded in mist. I really like the sense of enclosure and solitude.
The odd thing about that day is it was sunny when we first got to Cruz de Ferro. I walked to the top, said a prayer, and dropped my rock. We walked to the covered area and had a snack and watched the fog roll in. It was beautiful.

Lovely post of beautiful fotos. Enjoyed the snowy shot by Tincatinker.
And to joanjf, I am truly moved by your post and very sorry for your loss.
Here are two fotos taken 29 June 2012.

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

Lovely post of beautiful fotos. Enjoyed the snowy shot by Tincatinker.
And to joanjf, I am truly moved by your post and very sorry for your loss.
Here are two fotos taken 29 June 2012.

View attachment 30767

View attachment 30766
Thank you. It is so good when you get a message. You can smile for a while.
This time of the year is very difficult as my son was a Christmas baby years ago.
So thank you and wish you a happy holiday with blessings for a peaceful New Year

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to say thank you to everyone who responded. I was away from home and returned with the flu which has dragged on and on.
the person who requested images asked if he could use the first one posted by Viranani. I checked with her that this was okay and the Finland academic said that she would be credited whenever the article and its accompanying illustrations are published.
I have enjoyed seeing pictures of the Cruz de Ferro taken in all kinds of weather, different seasons and times of the day.
Today I am celebrating an early Christmas with my daughter and grandson and enjoying some tapas, among which was a wonderful chorizo and cecina which I discovered is produced by a company in San Justo de la Vega, just outside Astorga. All I can remember of that area is feeling I would collapse before reaching the city and then, at my lowest ebb, just after the Roman bridge, being confounded by that intricate bridge over the railway where I just about sat down and wept with exhaustion. Oh happy days!
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, Hannukah greetings and thank you to Ivar and everyone on the forum for their good will and warm hearted responses. May 2017 be a good year for you all. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back