• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the size of the Cruz de Ferro cross kept in the Astorga museum?

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Does anybody here know or could you find out (perhaps in a book you have?) what the measurements of the Cruz de Ferro are?

I mean the actual cross, which is now in the museum in Astorga. I have already contacted them but they were so not helpful!

Many Muchas Gracias in advance, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wait. What? Have they removed the Cruz de Ferro from the Camino???

Wait. What? Have they removed the Cruz de Ferro from the Camino???
The bit of the Cruz de Ferro that is made of iron: The original (from 1650 or so) is in a showcase in the museum in Astorga. A replica is on the wooden pole on the mountain.

It has been like this for umpteen years. Since 1976 actually.

Nobody knows what it looked like in the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I mean the actual cross, which is now in the museum in Astorga.
What? When did this occur? It was present when I passed it on 12 Nov. Is there more than one cross? Is the museum cross an older, historical cross? I look forward to learning more about this? Some amazing sleuths participate on the forum.
Bob91

The bit of the Cruz de Ferro that is made of iron: The original (from 1650 or so) is in a showcase in the museum in Astorga. A replica is on the wooden pole on the mountain.

It has been like this for umpteen years. Since 1976 actually.
Oops, I type too slowly. Thank you Kathar1na for clearing that up!
Bob91

How much precision do you want? Here’s a photo with part of the door next to it. It gives you an idea of the size and even lets you estimate height and width of the cross.

View attachment 117217
Do you remember how big the little description plaque was? The one at the foot of the cross? Something like 4 or 5 cm square?
BC SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you remember how big the little description plaque was? The one at the foot of the cross?Something like 4 or 5 cm square?
Difficult to say. The photo is taken from a recent online article.

I took a photo myself where my silhouette happens to be reflected in the glass and also a bit of the walls, windows and paintings in the room. I also had a look at photos of the pole with the cross. The pole is said to be around 5 m long.

My guesstimate is that the cross is about 60 cm high. Maybe 80 cm. Or thereabouts.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back