• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruz de Ferro today - the sun IS//IS NOT shining!

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
a forum member Harvey is walking now - tonight Ponferrada.

Attachments

• Bild 11.png
    Bild 11.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 1,961
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re: Cruz de Ferro today - the sun is shining!

No way. you photoshopped that didn't you? I've been there several times. On a good day, the Cruz de Fer looks like this:

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,921
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

no photoshopping - he walked past Cruz de Ferro today, taken today (his mobile phone). You can see the snow - it is cold. He has had very good and nice weather all the way from SJPP, sometimes cold. He started January 11th. More pics on FB...

I almost regret I didn´t walk a winter camino in January this year - the weather has been so pleasant and dry on the Frances.

This is when I was there:

Attachments

• Bild 12.png
    Bild 12.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,886

how can I post ( attached) photo, I tried several times, end up everywere except here.
Is there a secret ? or just.... I am a bit slow

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

newfydog said:
No way. you photoshopped that didn't you? I've been there several times. On a good day, the Cruz de Fer looks like this:
Hahahahaha newfy dog- you have 'seen' it- or not seen it- in the same way I have! But I am very glad someone has seen it with blue skies, and the bits of snow lying on the ground must be a bonus.
Margaret

My kids taught me how o resize (smaller) the photoes - so ask your kids maybe.
If you have a Mac - shift and cmd and press 4 - take a picture of your photo, save it, attach and Voilà!

hieronimus said:
how can I post ( attached) photo, I tried several times, end up everywere except here.Is there a secret ? or just.... I am a bit slow
No you are not slow- it is a bit tricky. First you really need to reduce the size a bit if it is large. Then you go to upload attachment below, you browse and then 'add the file'. After that there is one more step- you have to 'place inline', and it should be there. Finally, you 'submit' as per normal.

24 June 2008

Attachments

• cruz de ferro.jpg
    cruz de ferro.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,692
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Like most of us I haven´t seen the blue skies of Cruz de Ferro yet!
The skies are not blue today...Harvey was lucky yesterday!

Attachments

• Bild 13.png
    Bild 13.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,681

Great! I'm going to get there next weekend! I'm starting in Leon this wednesday.

Just one question: How much snow am I going to get?

Annie, can I get the link for Harveys' Facebook? I would like to see the pictures he has been taking, since they will show the Camino more or less as I'm going to find it this week.

more sunny days copyright Joe Flavin (I was there 2 days before in windy raining muddy h..l)

Attachments

• Bild 14.png
    Bild 14.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Bild 17.png
    Bild 17.png
    497.8 KB · Views: 1,457
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

MiguelGomes said:
Great! I'm going to get there next weekend! I'm starting in Leon this wednesday.

Annie, can I get the link for Harveys' Facebook? I would like to see the pictures he has been taking, since they will show the Camino more or less as I'm going to find it this week.

Sorry Miguel I think you will be dissapointed if you judge by someones photos taken in January.
January was beautiful. February has started very differently. Today is warmish but wet and another cold spell is due to start on wednesday. Galicia hasn't had much snow but from Asturias, across Castilla y Leon, everything north and east of there, down to the Baleares, are all covered with snow, according to TV weather reports. Majorca has had snow at sea level, but I don't suppose anyone is walking from there :)
How much snow are you going to get? Maybe none, maybe loads!

sulu said:
MiguelGomes said:

Sorry Miguel I think you will be dissapointed if you judge by someones photos taken in January.
January was beautiful. February has started very differently. Today is warmish but wet and another cold spell is due to start on wednesday. Galicia hasn't had much snow but from Asturias, across Castilla y Leon, everything north and east of there, down to the Baleares, are all covered with snow, according to TV weather reports. Majorca has had snow at sea level, but I don't suppose anyone is walking from there :)
How much snow are you going to get? Maybe none, maybe loads!

Thanks, Sulu! :) Yeah, I've heard of that new big freeze arriving wednesday! I'll be prepared for it!
And the sun might not shine, but I'm sure the Camino will! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Cruz de Ferro today - the sun is NOT shining!

What a day! We gathered in the morning around the breakfast table and decided to walk further en la carretera like the local people recommended. There wouldn´t be any snow in El Acebo 13 km up and down the mountain.
So I am one more special experience richer.
annie

Attachments

• Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,084
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

& I thought we had it cold(&wet)
think i need to put a jumper on :roll:
Thanks Annie for all your pics too :D

That poor pilgrim looks like they're banging their head against the Cruz de Ferro. I hope it wasn't that bad! :D It just shows how variable the weather can be - at the end of March we were sitting outside the cafe with a beer in Acebo.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

tyrrek said:
That poor pilgrim looks like they're banging their head against the Cruz de Ferro. I hope it wasn't that bad! :D It just shows how variable the weather can be - at the end of March we were sitting outside the cafe with a beer in Acebo.

Buen Camino!

The two guys up by the pole are two young Germans. Before leaving Cruz they made a snow man by the hermita.

It wasn´t as bad as it looks like if wearing right kind of boots, clothes in several layers (in my case 6 layers upper and 4 layers lower body, merino socks and goretex boots with gaiters, merino beanie, gloves).

Even if I am used to snow and weather like this - I was almost scared in Foncebadon. Knew I had to walk to get away from there - no cars could make it up there. Somebody wanted to take a taxi and the taxi never made it up (summer tires probably!!!)

Thanks, David!
annie

in April the sun was shining
ecbe3449.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back