• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CSJ Guide

emmywilde

It seems that everybody really recommends the CSJ guide...other than the website, where can I pick this up? Is it available in SJPP?
Thanks so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is not available at SJPP. You used to be able to buy them at Stanfords in London but it is not on their website. If you do not like deaing with money over the web you could always post the CSJ a letter and do things that way. If it is time that is the problem get them to send it post restante to SJPP or Pamplona post office.

Buen Camino
William

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It seems that everybody really recommends the CSJ guide...

Hi emmy. Suggestion: check out suggested guides + all in general. What may work for some or most may not necessarily work for one. Best, xm 8)

CSJ Guides

The CSJ Guides are not 'books' as such, like other guides, with photographs, maps etc.
They are photocopied info booklets eg: the Camino Frances guide has about 18 pages printed back to back and reduced to A5 size.
Its size and weight makes it is very useful and it gives you info on the accommodation in each town and village (with contact details) as well as monuments and churches, the elevation of most towns, distances between villages and a miles to go countdown.
They cost an average of 5 UK pounds.

They sell copies of the CSJ guide at the Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal, 10 euros each I think.

Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the CSJ guide at the Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal, 10 euros each I think.

That's pretty good, considering that "El Pais/Aguilar's guidebook" costs 20 e plus! Best, xm 8)

In 2007, when I was boning up on all things Camino, I began my preparation by reading everything I could at the bookstore (notice...I didn't say buying. They have these great leather chairs...but I digress):cool:. Most were either books written by folks that had walked one or more Caminos, or folks with a knack for impressive cut and paste (many call that plagiarizing) and they all had one thing in common...weight. Consequently, I began a search for something light weight, solid topographic elevations and a few pithy remarks on where not to turn, where the good food (oops, Johnnie Walker thinks "good food" is any meat over cooked and covered in thick brown gravy) :p can be found, suggestions on albergues (public and private),hostals, etc and the folks that operate them. I also needed something I wouldn't mind losing (although those notes I wrote on cerveza/vino availability did bring with them a sense of nostalgia). I like the CSJ guidebooks, they fit the bill for me and many (CI,CP, Finisterre, etc) are available for download.
There are many guidebooks in foreign languages (anything not English is foreign to me;))
that cover much the same...but here's the rub.
Getting so heavily into planning the whole of your Camino based on the ramblings/prejudices/opinions of others can be counter productive.
"How so?" says Joey:rolleyes:
The Forum is easily the largest English language Camino centric site on the Web. The experience and dedication of it's members are spot on technically, openly inclusive and eager to share their experiences...warts and all. But when all is said, if you walk through a village looking for that one special fountain, or are determined to stay at the "not to be missed albergue/hostal" there's a good chance you will suffer from target fixation and miss that one, or more opportunity or experience that maybe a true (meaning important to YOU) "keeper" of walking the Way.

In 2007, when I was boning up on all things Camino, I began my preparation by reading everything I could at the bookstore (notice...I didn't say buying. They have these great leather chairs...but I digress):cool:. Most were either books written by folks that had walked one or more Caminos, or folks with a knack for impressive cut and paste (many call that plagiarizing) and they all had one thing in common...weight. Consequently, I began a search for something light weight, solid topographic elevations and a few pithy remarks on where not to turn, where the good food (oops, Johnnie Walker thinks "good food" is any meat over cooked and covered in thick brown gravy) :p can be found, suggestions on albergues (public and private),hostals, etc and the folks that operate them. I also needed something I wouldn't mind losing (although those notes I wrote on cerveza/vino availability did bring with them a sense of nostalgia). I like the CSJ guidebooks, they fit the bill for me and many (CI,CP, Finisterre, etc) are available for download.
There are many guidebooks in foreign languages (anything not English is foreign to me;))
that cover much the same...but here's the rub.
Getting so heavily into planning the whole of your Camino based on the ramblings/prejudices/opinions of others can be counter productive.
"How so?" says Joey:rolleyes:
The Forum is easily the largest English language Camino centric site on the Web. The experience and dedication of it's members are spot on technically, openly inclusive and eager to share their experiences...warts and all. But when all is said, if you walk through a village looking for that one special fountain, or are determined to stay at the "not to be missed albergue/hostal" there's a good chance you will suffer from target fixation and miss that one, or more opportunity or experience that maybe a true (meaning important to YOU) "keeper" of walking the Way.
yes and I for the same reasons gave up reading books of other peoples experiences, read tim moores book (not a literary work but amusing enough and got me started, mainly because he was trying to dodge carrying a rucksack - I empathise) and want to have my own experience, I don't want aps and all the rest how to pack the bag etc, yes got some insights from the forum and met good people along the way - but really I don't want to be around technology -managed years without it - thought this was time off and time to reflect, my best times always in naivety -

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2002 I spent many wasted hours, and a small fortune, on pay Internet machines and in Internet cafes because I had promised to email home and send a few photos but didn't want to take my cell phone. I bought a World Call card and wandered around towns and villages looking for a public telephone that allowed International calls. Now I can phone and email from my bed and send photos on my high-tech smart phone. I love the convenience of the new technology!

Now I can phone and email from my bed and send photos on my high-tech smart phone. I love the convenience of the new technology!
....and by pressing 2 buttons simultaneously whilst on one of the many map apps, leaving your location marker active, you can instantly mail full details of your whereabouts!:(If you want to......:rolleyes:

And talk to my spouse and children on SKYPE if I feel like it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.