• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CSJ of UK in the News

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/Galicia/ ... gal_16/Tes

They say that well-born is to be grateful. So in 1983 , six British pilgrims who had done the Camino de Santiago decided to return the favor to the pilgrimage route creating the Confraternity of Saint James, to support and provide advice to others who want to walk from Britain to Compostela.
More than a quarter of a century later , the brotherhood sum 2,000 members committed to the cause of solidarity and manages two shelters , one in Rabanal del Camino ( León) and another in Friol . To meet their facilities, the organization has volunteers hospitaleros shifts at 15 days.
It's a new way of understanding the offerings to Santiago. Since the Middle Ages , the British have left their legacy in the tomb of the Apostle. Of those pilgrims in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries whose boats reached the coast of Galicia are pieces of pottery and coins of the era found in the excavations of the cathedral of Compostela. Other , more powerful , they brought with liberal presents , like the famous alabaster altarpiece laptop donated by the priest John Goodyear in 1456 , or Pearl Cross of King James IV of Scotland ( 1475-1513 ).
The delivery of the Confraternity of Saint James does not fit into the Treasury of the Cathedral, but is invaluable . In 2000 , they decided to build a shelter in Galicia and settled on North Road , realizing that there was a stretch of over 40 km between two Monxes Sobrado Vilalba and in which there was no hostel for pilgrims.
To that end , they acquired a building attached to the Bishopric of Lugo in the village of Miraz ( Friol ). They raised 100,000 pounds for the works, something else, then change - of EUR 121 000 would mean today. With that money and five years of work, could open the hostel in 2005.
The Road North, who attended the pilgrims of old who chose to cross the peninsula by opening the Basque Country and Galicia reaching Ribadeo , is less traveled than the French, but it is a real gem. The Eo estuary , the monastery of San Salvador de Lourenzá , Mondoñedo, Vilalba towers and Miraz, and the monastery of Sobrado dos Monxes are points of passage that inspires many to choose this route . Here, hikers enjoy a less overcrowded attractive path , where it is more likely to have to give way to herds of cattle that hordes of tourists rushed.
Still, the Holy Year no truce in any of the tours of Galicia, and the world of the Confraternity hangs the poster of "full" almost daily. That's why the Guild continues the expansion works of the original house to accommodate more pilgrims . In days of trouble, a plot borrowed from a nearby campground serves as the laggards .
Covering Time hospitaleros biweekly , David, a London-based son of an Englishwoman and a Catalan immigrant who confessed lapsed Catholic , and Amanda , a professor of Anglican religion . Both the pilgrimage to Santiago from Le Puy and say they are hooked to the Way, both by the geographical aspect of the trip as inner journey. Amanda does not speak Spanish , but understands just enough to perform on the job. David, by his father, is handled quite well with the language.
Besides the hosts , the establishment has very British touches such as tea earl gray pasta serving the guests each evening at five o'clock. In the morning , before jumping into the road , they give the pilgrims a more modest breakfast of English bacon and eggs with beans, bread and coffee made da Terra Chá . The overnight and breakfast are priceless : Anyone can get shelter under the roof of the Confraternity of Saint James and, on a voluntary basis , contribute to the amount you want to maintain the hostel.
The Brotherhood is financed by membership fees , most of the United Kingdom, but also Americans, Australians and South Africans, and for the money they get in their activities and collections. In England , publish a quarterly newsletter , have library service online and telephone consultation . In addition, once a week Practical Pilgrim organize a conference where people who did the Camino relate their experience.

This will encourage wills. So that while the shelter opens at three in the afternoon, early birds are walkers waiting at the gates from ten in the morning. So that tonight there are no more beds in the place or space for camping . Therefore, those arriving from the last will have to depend on the behalf of others

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back