• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CSJ UK Practical Pilgrim days - March 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Just to let you know that the Confraternity of St James (CSJ) has scheduled two Practical Pilgrim events for March this year in England (there'll no doubt be a Scotland one scheduled in due course..). The events are in
London on Saturday 17 March and
Manchester on the 24th.
There's a £5 charge to cover the cost of hall hire and basic refreshments and you can book via the www.csj.org.uk website.
The events are mainly aimed at first timers, but there's usually a generous sprinkling of old salts who swing by for some camino nostalgia and to offer the occasional anecdote... What's nice about the events is that they provide a chance for newbies to meet other newbies in a similar situation as well as discuss any questions and nagging doubts with the older timers.
We gather in the hall (usually about 100 people) and have introductions about the camino and packing lists etc followed by an open Q&A and then smaller group discussions split into the particular routes. There's also a chance to thumb through guides and acquire a pilgrim passport.
Cheers, tom

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's fantastic. Despite not strictly speaking needing to I'm sorely tempted to come along.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just been told the Manchester event is now fully booked, so I've amended the original post. Might still be worth contacting Ned via the post above if you are interested in PP or other camino-related activites in England's North West.

Ned sent out an email earlier saying he is trying to arrange a larger room so there maybe an opportunity for more places in Manchester.

Just to let you know that the Confraternity of St James (CSJ) has scheduled two Practical Pilgrim events for March this year in England (there'll no doubt be a Scotland one scheduled in due course..). The events are in
London on Saturday 17 March and
Manchester on the 24th.
There's a £5 charge to cover the cost of hall hire and basic refreshments and you can book via the www.csj.org.uk website.
The events are mainly aimed at first timers, but there's usually a generous sprinkling of old salts who swing by for some camino nostalgia and to offer the occasional anecdote... What's nice about the events is that they provide a chance for newbies to meet other newbies in a similar situation as well as discuss any questions and nagging doubts with the older timers.
We gather in the hall (usually about 100 people) and have introductions about the camino and packing lists etc followed by an open Q&A and then smaller group discussions split into the particular routes. There's also a chance to thumb through guides and acquire a pilgrim passport.
Cheers, tom

Are there any other events likely to be held later in the year? I'd love to attend as a newbie but have bridesmaid duties on the 24th...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FYI - There are still plenty of places at the UK London SE1 event this coming Saturday... I dare say there'll also be a lot of coffee-time chat about the BBC series 'The Road to Santiago', as it gets its first airing the previous evening..

Just a suggestion for those that can't make it. Video it and put and edited version on YouTube. Provide a link later. You might even be able to raise a small amount of money that way too.
I think it'd be good if we can do this, but I see a lot of technical challenges, especially with sound quality. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.