• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cup of tea on the Frances?

RachelNZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April/May 2017
Portuguese Camino Apr/May 2019
Hi fellow pilgrims, those little coffee carts on the Camino Frances- do they also sell cups of tea as I'm no coffee drinker and having a cuppa along the miles will keep me sane and going forward!
Thankyou for your expert advice on what's usually available. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bring your own stash of decent tea, Rachel--and you can likely get hot water and a splash of milk from wherever everyone else is getting their cafe con leche. The tea you get on the camino can't really be called that--except in a few places (such as the Tertulia in Santiago, which is a wonderful exception).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't miss the hot chocolate! In Leon it is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Chocolate con churros, served with freshly made crullers is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for walking! For an additional delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found the tea in Spain surprising good, a bit insipid sometimes but acceptable I take a small number in my pack for the Albergues. But coffee is always good and good value as well.

I found the tea in Spain surprising good, a bit insipid sometimes but acceptable I take a small number in my pack for the Albergues. But coffee is always good and good value as well.
I was lucky too or perhaps my taste buds were as tired as my legs because I enjoyed the tea. After my breakfast coffees, I drank tea for the rest of the day. I always ordered té con limón and don't remember ever getting a bad cup. I do remember being impressed that even the tiniest bars and cafes always had a stash of sliced lemon under the counter ready to serve.
Never tried to order tea from one of those carts though.

the chocolate and Curtis are delicious. And with that amount of walking guilt free mmmmmmmmmm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't miss the hot chocolate! In Leon it is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Chocolate con churros, served with freshly made crullers is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for walking! For an additional delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice.
Oh yes! Chocolate! YUM. The zumo naranja was fabulous too!
One of those carts up in the mountains off (on) the beaten track had broth. Broth! I needed something warm and had already had enough coffee and it sounded so right. It was great, just what I needed then. I have tried to enjoy just a plain broth at home and it's not the same.
Perhaps if I showered with the hose outside and wore the same clothes for a few days and slept on the couch....in my sleeping bag...

do they also sell cups of tea . :)

Tea. Tea? You're 'aving a larf aintcha? Even if you manage to track down somewhere where infusing dried leaves in hot water is not just a Douglas Adams' joke and they have an ancient, dust-covered and stale packet of Typhoo tea-bags somewhere out the back and Grandma can remember where... It will still be served with pre-boiled sterilised milk and taste like nothing you can ever remember unless you ordered a 'full' with extra toast in a Wolverhampton cafe somewhen in the early sixties.

Drink the excellent cafe con leche; or go hard-core and order a cafe solo with a chupita de Orujo: or take your tea bag with you and be prepared to drink it 'black' or strange.

There is at least one chain of 'tea' shops opening in various Spanish cities: they are regarded as as much of a novelty as 'tapas' bars in the UK - and bear a similar correspondence to the original concept.

But, no worries.. the vino is as good as you get back home ;)

Green tea is getting very popular in Spain, and THOSE teabags tend to be good. And there's poleo de menta, mint tea, which is very refreshing, and many different kinds of infusions.

Black tea? Bring your own, unless you like yellow Lipton.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do the café shops and bars get upset if you just order hot water then pull out your own teabag?

Probably depends on your smile and whether you order something else as well!

Theoretically, you could order green tea, leave that tea bag in the next albergue and use your own tea bag.

Hi fellow pilgrims, those little coffee carts on the Camino Frances- do they also sell cups of tea as I'm no coffee drinker and having a cuppa along the miles will keep me sane and going forward!

When in Spain ......

You might develop a taste for what's on offer rather than searching for what you would 'like'..... ;)

I know you weren't implying this.....but as a general point....
I find that the walk itself is hard enough without imposing 'preferences' that will be a distraction and cause me to go 'hunting' for things I'd like.
Eating and drinking whatever I found, when I was hungry or thirsty, was much easier ;)

Wherever you stop, there will always be options available, even if not exactly the option you were looking for.

Says he who in planning his first Camino actually considered taking a small stove to make Tea along the way!
And.......the 'infamous' Rice Cooker that almost made it into my pack last year :oops:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Te con limon is quite a normal request in bars. When I had an upset stomach, I just about lived on it for a couple of days!

I have found that tea is readily available at bars. Ten years ago, you may have ended up with camomile, green or mint instead of black tea (the first three are definitely acquired tastes when served with hot milk!) but that no longer appears to be the case. I always carry some teabags in case they are not available but now usually only need them for the albergues. There has never been a problem when I have wanted to use my own teabag and I always pay the normal price.

My favourite now is té rojo. I originally ordered it thinking it would be rooibos but it is pu-erh and is delicious.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Te con limon is quite a normal request in bars. When I had an upset stomach, I just about lived on it for a couple of days!

Manzanilla (chamomile tea) is a beter option if you have an upset stomach, at least according to the Spanish. It is technically speaking an infusión (herbal tea). On that front there is also the standard poleo menta (peppermint) as someone mentioned.

Té verde
(green tea) and té rojo (not sure what this is, thought rooibos but it sure didn't taste like it) can also be found in your standard town café/bar.

Please don't ask for just hot water, I put it in the same category as going into a bar just to use the toilet. Coffee and are so cheap in Spain!

Me and a fellow South African, Frieda that I met on the Camino saw a restaurant across the Cathedral in Leon with Roi Boos on the menu (we assume it will be our South African Rooibos tea - just a spelling mistake) and it was rooibos!! We were in the clouds to have rooibos and a toasted ham and cheese sandwich in Spain. We were homesick and it has done us good.

I love my cuppa ... but I have to say I was converted to café con leche on the Camino ... & sometimes attempt to make a few at home! By all means, take some teabags with you, but as already mentioned, beverages are pretty cheap ... so, why not try one ... & you might be converted too!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... you may have ended up with camomile, green or mint instead of black tea (the first three are definitely acquired tastes when served with hot milk!) but that no longer appears to be the case.
My favourite now is té rojo. I originally ordered it thinking it would be rooibos but it is pu-erh and is delicious.

Milk in mint or camomille infusion? Why oh why? Acquired taste for sure. But why?

As for pu-erh, I never imagined it would be easily found. Have you found it regularly?

Down a shot of hard liquor (chupito) with your breakfast instead. This is perfectly acceptable in Spanish bars (a bit more unusual for a woman, but who cares - it raises a laugh with bystanders when I do it). Then switch to a cheeky little beer mid morning and wine as the day wears on. Salud!

In 2015 I found tea was available in almost every bar (restaurant) along the way. I would drink tea with cold milk at second breakfast, and I would have another cup once I was settled into the albergue and had finished my laundry. I always felt everything was right in the world when I would sit and relax drinking my afternoon tea...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Milk in mint or camomille infusion? Why oh why? Acquired taste for sure. But why?

As for pu-erh, I never imagined it would be easily found. Have you found it regularly?

At the time of my first Camino, my Spanish was limited to please, thank you and good morning and I learnt a few phrases along the way (the first of which was "una copa de vino blanco por favor"). Not knowing how to order, I would simply ask for tea with milk and would sometimes be served a glass of hot milk with whatever teabag was grabbed first. I've now learnt to be specific and order té rojo (red - pu-erh) or negro (black, sometimes called té normal).

The first time I tried pu-erh was on the Camino del Norte. It just happened to be what I was served when I ordered tea and I enjoyed it so much that I now order it how I like it - "té rojo con un poco de leche fría". I've been surprised at its availability.

Maybe I've just been lucky with the Caminos I've chosen the past few years. It's been some time since I've been on the Camino Francés so can't comment on the tea situation there.

For all you coffee drinkers out there, yes, this is serious business. Tea isn't a drink, it's an experience.

@julie , I always smile when I read posts about people wanting to bring their tea bags and complaining about tea in Spain because, after all, tea sold in bleached paper bags is basically the dust from either better quality tea or even worse, bad tea leaves grown industrially from the start.

It's like complaining about Spanish oreos when wanting those from home vs enjoying a pastel de nata in Portugal or a Carbayon in Spain.

But pu-erh, that I will look at. The more tea I drink, the less red wine, or vermud, I'll drink :p.

Thank you for the heads up!

Yes, I had that hot chocolate in Leon, too! Best ever! In a quirky little shop in the square directly across from the cathedral entrance.20150501_034105.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks all for your advice and observations on the subject of tea on the Camino.:)
I do not drink coffee, have never liked it. I have run my own tea company so its great to hear there are herbal and fruit teas on offer as well as black tea! I think I will carry my own supply as suggested and im sure the camino will provide the rest :) I start on the 19th of April from StJPdP and Im like a kid the night before Christmas!
Buen Camino fellow Pilgrims

Every afternoon at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino the hospitaleros ritually serve the peregrinos with afternoon tea [ Gaucelmo is after all run by the English charity The Confraternity of St James]. When I was there the choice was between Yorkshire Breakfast and Earl Grey, with milk or lemon as desired. Gaucelmo has a lot going for it, and this charming ceremony is not the least of its attractions.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Coffee carts on the Camino Francés? There used to be the occasional donkey cart, but I haven't seen one of these in a few years.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re pu-erh tea: a few months ago I was in SW China and enjoyed this freshly made in a tea demo. The benefits of this tea were enumerated by a slim and attractive lady. (Google says: As for pu-erh tea benefits, because it is fully oxidized, pu-erh has a lower antioxidant content than white or green tea, but Chinese people credit it with many health benefits, especially promotion of weight loss, reduction of serum cholesterol, and cardiovascular protection.). I never expected to find this on the Camino. I'll look out for it next time!

Lipton tea and Hornimans (in bags) te negro is usually available pretty well everywhere you go. You can buy small boxes in marcados (big grocery stores) or tiendas (small grocery stores). Camomile and mint tea is always available too.... Maybe my palate has been ravaged by years of drinking King Cole or Red Rose (only in Canada, you say?! Pity!) (Canadians will get that reference!) but I actually like Hornimans so much, I buy a box and take it home to Canada with me.

There is a great little natural food store on the outskirts of Pamplona, as you leave town. The folks there have many flavours of organic (and some non-organic) tea.

Hmmmm....You could stop into one of the Paradors on the way and stop in for a fancy tea! Mmmm!

But there is such good hot chocolate, including chocolate con churros, that you should break beyond the bonds of tea while walking on the Camino!

In 2015 I found tea was available in almost every bar (restaurant) along the way. I would drink tea with cold milk at second breakfast, and I would have another cup once I was settled into the albergue and had finished my laundry. I always felt everything was right in the world when I would sit and relax drinking my afternoon tea...

What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rachel that's what I missed on my last Caminos, on my next trip I will be taking a few Good old Yorkshire tea bags (to make nice and strong Cuppers) and a small container of sweet tabs, and milk powder,,,

Thanks all for your advice and observations on the subject of tea on the Camino.:)
I do not drink coffee, have never liked it. I have run my own tea company so its great to hear there are herbal and fruit teas on offer as well as black tea! I think I will carry my own supply as suggested and im sure the camino will provide the rest :) I start on the 19th of April from StJPdP and Im like a kid the night before Christmas!
Buen Camino fellow Pilgrims
By the way Rachel have a nice trip, and good luck with the Cuppers, you should have the time of your life..

Every afternoon at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino the hospitaleros ritually serve the peregrinos with afternoon tea [ Gaucelmo is after all run by the English charity The Confraternity of St James]. When I was there the choice was between Yorkshire Breakfast and Earl Grey, with milk or lemon as desired. Gaucelmo has a lot going for it, and this charming ceremony is not the least of its attractions.

Alan

When Dr Alice Pinkerton (of the CSJ) was there in 2001 there was fruit cake and biscuits too.
I remember Spanish pilgrims liking the tea but the French and German ones who asked why they could not have coffee instead were told "Because it's TEA time!".
Lovely lady.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When Dr Alice Pinkerton (of the CSJ) was there in 2001 there was fruit cake and biscuits too.
I remember Spanish pilgrims liking the tea but the French and German ones who asked why they could not have coffee instead were told "Because it's TEA time!".
Lovely lady.
Hi Jeff

Biscuits are still served each day, and cake when available. When JennyH94 from Australia is a hospitalera there, she takes a 2 KG fruit cake from Australia with her, to serve to the pilgrims.

The Hospitaleros are still asked for coffee. The reply is the same as in 2001.

Alan

Oh yes! Chocolate! YUM. The zumo naranja was fabulous too!
One of those carts up in the mountains off (on) the beaten track had broth. Broth! I needed something warm and had already had enough coffee and it sounded so right. It was great, just what I needed then. I have tried to enjoy just a plain broth at home and it's not the same.
Perhaps if I showered with the hose outside and wore the same clothes for a few days and slept on the couch....in my sleeping bag...
What was it called in Spanish?

Hi Jeff

Biscuits are still served each day, and cake when available. When JennyH94 from Australia is a hospitalera there, she takes a 2 KG fruit cake from Australia with her, to serve to the pilgrims.

The Hospitaleros are still asked for coffee. The reply is the same as in 2001.

Alan

Good to know - didn't stay there my last two Caminos, just popped in to add to my collection of red and yellow Camino patches and get a sello.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Cupan te. Only problem they will offer 30/40 different teas. Enjoy

As a follow up---
I have completed my Camino and I had no trouble with finding a decent cup of tea! Thankyou to all for your replies. There are a few food/snack/carts now on the Camino and you can get hots drinks occasionally. Just as an update to all.
Thankyou! I had a wonderful walk and I think about it constantly. I've been back 8 weeks now but want to go again tomorrow. I shall be back! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back