• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Curfews in Albergues?

• Thread starter Deleted member 397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 397

I noticed someone commented on albergues closing at 2300. I just thought I would ask whether this is a common practice. On the VDLP last year I never found a curfew-most of the time I collected a key from someone (nearby caretaker,bar,petrol station) and was left to come and go as I pleased and left the key in a box when leaving in the morning. Obviously things are different on the VDLP where it was just me and another boke most of the time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
yeah that's one of the things i had trouble adjusting to on the Frances. Most of the albergues expect u to be inside and quiet at 11pm..sometimes even 10.

Considering i usually did a 2-3hr siesta in the afternoon it was always bloody hard to fall asleep at 11

Curfew

Pilgrims seem to fall into two different camps on the camino.
Pilgrims (like me) who arrive at an albergue, wash clothes, shower and go out to buy food; eat early and crash by 7pm or 8pm.
Others arrive at an albergue and siesta for a few hours -go out to eat at 8pm or 9pm and come back wide awake!
I am hoping to do the siesta-stay-awake routine this time. :shock: I want to see the stars at night. I want to be awake to see the lights of Leon Cathedral when they switch them on at midnight (will have to sleep in an inn or hotel because there is a curfew at the convent).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most of the albergues have a 10pm curfew. If you're not in at that time you sleep in the street One albergue - Sahagun I think - had a 9.30pm curfew. Some of the private ones are not quite as strict. Zubiri's private albergue has an after-hours coded keypad so you can come and go as you please.

Most people are in bed and asleep well before curfew time - even with a siesta, and they start getting up at 5am. Now that's something I found very difficult to accept and tolerate. The Ventosa albergue bans pilgrims from getting up before 6am. In fact you have to agree to this before signing in. Very civilised.

You learn something every day! On the VDLP I never came across a curfew in any of the albergues-not that it's a bad idea I suppose. I like the idea of stopping people getting up before 6am. Why do these early risers think its ok to wake every one else up with their damn plastic bags. I used to leave about 8.30-waiting for the light-why walk in the dark? Strange people.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back