• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Curiosity about age: white/ Grey hair?

Great stories, all. Best lines for me were people I walked with for three days on CF, all under 40, finally getting around to asking the "how old are you? question. I've been pretty much bald since my mid-30's, so it's hard for people to judge age sometimes. When I told the kids how old, their response was "you're awfully fast for an old guy"... made my day! That was five years ago.
Now, I just finished the CP from Lisbon, and ended up walking with a group of five young German lasses, all just out of college or grad school. When they asked and I told them how old, one blurted out in perfect English, "you're older than my grandfather"... and I'm proud of it.
Age is a state of mind over matter; if you don't mind, it don't matter! Don't know who originally said it, but it's my motto when I'm running, cycling and trekking. See you all again next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting....

I was always taught not to ask anyone's age as it is rude. (in our culture)

I have never been asked.......

However it's a cultural thing. My wife Pat is Thai, and it is quite normal there. People are curious and it's not considered rude. When I meet the family there they often say things like "Rob you're looking well, but you are fatter'! Not considered rude.

First time visitors to Thailand are often shocked when people they have just met ask their age, if they are married, how many kids they have........

I started going grey at about 25, which was cool as I looked older. Now at 61 my hair is almost white and I look 80. Not so cool :oops: So I dye it sometimes :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
However it's a cultural thing. My wife Pat is Thai, and it is quite normal there. People are curious and it's not considered rude. When I meet the family there they often say things like "Rob you're looking well, but you are fatter'! Not considered rude.

First time visitors to Thailand are often shocked when people they have just met ask their age, if they are married, how many kids

So true @Robo ! My elderly father (very French) found it very difficult to cope with my brother’s lovely - Thai - partner and mother of his grandson. It was an ordeal, he would put a brave face to it and then say to me in anguish ‘Do you realise what she just said to me???’ Such a difference in... culture? What you are used to? It brings a smile to my face... We coped . And so did he eventually :)

I've just posted in another hair thread, then found this one. Mine started going grey when I was in my early teens, just like my Dad's did. I've always loved it, sometimes I've dyed it strange colours but most of the time I just left it white. When I was young I used to get funny looks because I had white hair and a young face. These days my face has caught up and I not get funny looks because I'm old and wrinkly with long hair.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got almost white hair. Old - young - don’t care. Pay always ful price. Kids see me as old, peers as peers and older ones as young. So it’s all relative. On the Camino I felt sometimes like at least 152 ! When I saw the cathedral from afar like 12.
People never asked my age maybe I did not invite this kind of questions? But on the Portuguese most pilgrims were my age plus.
When I was in first grade my mome asked me about my teacher. I said : She is old and has yellow teeth. My teacher was 30.🤪

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.