• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Curious about tour operator pre-planned walks

sue-sheila

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - August 16 - September 19 2017
Hello everyone - I initially was contemplating going on a pre-mapped/routed CF walk with bag transfers and hotel bookings. However, after posting a question to receive tips and guidance there was an unanimous response by everyone (kind enough to take the time to offer me advice) to take the Camino as it comes and to NOT plan everything to the last detail simply because there are too many variables to contend with.
The fact also remains that the only two people that I have actually spoken with at length are 2 women who both walked the CF last year in May (at different times) and both of them highly recommended having an agency plan the trip and that it worked out well for them.
I know that there *are* people who opt for the pre-mapped trip but was wondering if after having used a tour company once, whether they would do the same or whether they would "go with the flow" and open themselves up to the adventure of the unknown and unpredictable if they got the chance to walk again.
Please note that I am aware that these are two completely opposing schools so I don't want to start a debate so much as hear from the agency-guided people about their experience/thoughts/regrets/resolutions.
Thank you in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would say that quite a number of members on this Forum have an instinctive bias against tour companies, and given the nature of the Forum I think that is understandable. However, I did my first long distance walk back in 1985, and since then I have done a reasonable number of long walks. I have walked carrying my backpack and I have walked using luggage transport; I have walked using tour agencies for self-guided trips and I have walked just finding accommodation along the way; I have walked solo and I have walked with others. As far as I can tell, none of that really matters. What I think is important is to just get out and do it. It is not how you do it, but how you experience it. It is seeing and learning the culture, seeing and learning the history, meeting interesting people from around the globe, enjoying the food and wine, and maybe even learning a bit about yourself.

So my simple opinion is that if there are people out there that like the simplicity and comfort of using a tour agency, go for it. My experiences have all been good. I have no regrets. My only word of advice would be to do your research, look at multiple organizations and understand what services you are receiving for the money you are paying. If you feel you are getting decent value for the money, then it's all good.

To answer your specific question, although I have used tour agencies for self-guided trips in the recent past, this summer I am carrying my pack and basically making my own way on the Via Francigena. I have however reserved beds in advance, as accommodation appears sparse along the route. I could have used a tour company, and may do so again in the future, but this time I just wanted to change it up a bit and make sure that I am not getting too soft in my old age.

By the way, I am not connected in any way with a tour company, and I am not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone from using them. They are there, and they provide a service that meets the needs of some, but not others.

Either way, enjoy your Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't advise re using a tour company on the Camino as have not done so but for my Camino Portuguese last year I did book several albergues/pensions in advance. My thinking was that it was summer and accommodation might be busy. I was very wrong on that front in particular. But I found that for me, the pre booking took away some of the magic of the camino for me. Part of what I love about it is the ability to just take each day as it comes... but with my bookings I couldn't revise my plans say when the weather wasn't good or when I wanted to spend more time in a particular place. I am guessing that that aspect of being committed to a particular schedule would be a big negative against using a tour company. Obviously there are pros and cons to every approach and only you can decide what is best for you. Buen Camino

I am aware that these are two completely opposing schools
Let's not suggest such polarization! :) If someone asks for my opinion on organizing their walk on the Camino Frances, I will give it, based on my personal experience and knowledge. That does not put me into any "camp" in terms of guided walks in general, nor does it mean I think there is anything wrong with doing it differently than I chose. The matter is much more complex!

When questions are asked, the various answers inevitably are a mixture of specific answers directed exactly to the wording of the question, and tangential answers that lead elsewhere. We can't avoid that on an internet forum.

Hello everyone - I initially was contemplating going on a pre-mapped/routed CF walk with bag transfers and hotel bookings. However, after posting a question to receive tips and guidance there was an unanimous response by everyone (kind enough to take the time to offer me advice) to take the Camino as it comes and to NOT plan everything to the last detail simply because there are too many variables to contend with.
The fact also remains that the only two people that I have actually spoken with at length are 2 women who both walked the CF last year in May (at different times) and both of them highly recommended having an agency plan the trip and that it worked out well for them.
I know that there *are* people who opt for the pre-mapped trip but was wondering if after having used a tour company once, whether they would do the same or whether they would "go with the flow" and open themselves up to the adventure of the unknown and unpredictable if they got the chance to walk again.
Please note that I am aware that these are two completely opposing schools so I don't want to start a debate so much as hear from the agency-guided people about their experience/thoughts/regrets/resolutions.
Thank you in advance.
Hi @sue-sheila,

I walked the full Camino Frances, March/April/May 2016, and booked with an organising company for a bunch of reasons. I had an extra bag transferred forward every day and stayed in very small hotels. If I had carried a large pack I wouldn't have made it as I developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I had suffered a bout of PF while training during the previous year - that almost completely cleared up by Camino time but I was very wary of it recurring. It did and it took me 6 months to recover. I had extra gear to carry - photographic equipment and a Cpap machine, also clothes, etc. for a long holiday after the Camino. I really enjoyed the privacy in the evenings because I needed long hot showers and did a lot of hobbling and limping and lying down.

Negatives: I missed out on the whole hostel social scene but I met hundreds of people walking and at mealtimes. It cost a lot of extra money. If anything goes wrong and you want a few rest days (blisters, sprains) you're locked in to pre-booked accommodation and that can be for weeks ahead.

What I would do differently?: I would book ahead same as last time BUT, allow more rest days - one per week is not enough. Get regular massages - one a week sounds lovely.

I walked for a couple of weeks, off and on, with a couple who booked ahead every day, stayed in many hotels I did. I think they sent bags ahead too, we all carried similar small daypacks. So they didn't use a "tour" company and saved some money, were more flexible. Infrastructure along the Camino Frances is extensive - taxis, baggage transfers, accommodation, etc. BUT, I expect that summer would be very different, all services would be very much in demand. If Spain was closer to home, I might have done it differently. I could have stopped, jumped on a quick flight or train home and gone back the following year. But Australia is very expensive flights to everywhere and I'm a bit of an obsessive planner.

Purist pilgrims would not approve of my Camino choices. But I walked 800kms and I was 72 at the time. No regrets at all.

I used Macs Adventure (Glasgow). Service was flawless, they never missed a beat. Local contact was a Spanish company called Tee Travel, they were great to deal with, solved a few problems instantly, I only had to call them 3 or 4 times.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to those who have shared their personal experience. C clearly - the "polarization" was not suggested so much as perceived when I posted my first thread - it became apparent that (as Doogman points out) there is "an instinctive bias against tour companies". Until then I was unaware that there are (at least) two different schools! :)
My curiosity to learn the opinions of those who had exclusively gone the tour operator way stemmed from the responses to that first post.

Aah Mike - I can see that for you it would have been next to impossible to go the solo adventurous take-it-as-it-comes route. Thank you for sharing. I too suffered from PF a few years ago that lasted for almost 2 years and I constantly fear having it recur and debilitate me.
It appears that you can do your own (pre)planning, pay someone else to do it for you, or simply jump into the pool and start swimming. I do definitely see the negatives that you mention and how it can impact the walk.

If I wanted to walk a route that was less well traveled than the Camino I might consider a tour for the companionship that it could offer, but finding companionship and camaraderie on the Camino Frances is not a problem at all.

Would I pay someone simply to book accommodation and baggage transport for me? No way. It's simply not necessary, and locks you into a schedule that you may find is not suitable for you.

As has been recommended on the other thread, get in touch with the APOC chapter in your area. I get the feeling that talking face to face with someone who has walked the Camino without a tour company organizing the accommodations will be very helpful.

When I first heard about the Camino I thought that I might just do Sarria to Santiago, stay in hotels, and have my bags transported. But after reading this forum for a few days I realized that I could do it on my own, and I'm so glad that I did!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
there is "an instinctive bias against tour companies".
I would argue that there is not an "instinctive" bias. Rather it is a bias based on the fact that most people who post on this forum have done the Camino without a tour company, and have found it very satisfactory. I would agree that there is a general majority opinion that a tour company is not necessary in most cases and forum members are trying to explain why.

I just did St. Jean to Logrono lat week and booked through a tour company. Because I was travelling to Europe for business I had my business clothes/suitcase with me and needed to have my bag transferred this option made the most sense for me. Secondly, I snore quite loudly and didn't want to subject others to the noise. I had only 7 days to work with so a set schedule worked for me in this case. I plan on going back to complete the Camino, here are my thoughts.
  • Overall I was happy that I did it through a tour company (Follow the Camino) for the one week walk, however I don't think I will use a tour company for the whole trip.
  • There are plenty of opportunities to meet other pilgrims without staying in albergues. I would not be concerned about this.
  • If you do use a tour company, review the hotels they have selected. A couple of nights my hotel was more than a mile off the route and it was very inconvenient.
  • I opted for the breakfast included and would not do that again. I found I preferred getting an early start and stopping for breakfast an hour or two later. It's nice to have the break and it is an opportunity to meet other pilgrims.
  • I met several people that opted to have their packs shuttled on occasion. It was $5 a day and can be arranged when you stop for the day. So if you need to bring more than you can carry, it's an easy option. It is also good to know that option exists if you have a problem along the way.
  • While have everything planned out for me for the week was fine, I doubt it would be such a great idea for the whole Camino. You need to have some flexibility for weather, blisters, etc.
When I get the chance to do the whole Camino I will probably pre-book the first week and then make reservations as I go for the rest of the walk. I still plan on using mainly hotels and sparing everyone my snoring. I can afford the hotels, so why take up the cheap beds for the people that need them.

p.s. For those of you that may reply that there are plenty of people who snore in albergues, I'm sure I can top any of them.

I just got back from doing the Sarria-SDC section of the Camino, using Follow the Camino to make arrangements, and found the experience to be enjoyable, but not perfect (What is perfect?). They were able to make special arrangements for me when I wanted to stay the night and enjoy the spa at a balneario and hotel near Palas de Rei. Since I didn't have knowledge of or experience with the area and did not have time to do the kind of research needed to make my own reservations, organize luggage transfer, etc., for me this was the best option. Interestingly, as I observed the non-reservation albergue pilgrims as I walked, I realized that I had a much less routinized Camino than they did: no need to finish the day's walk by early afternoon or risk not getting a bed in a town where I wanted to be, no need to rush to wash my clothes in time to dry them, no need to finish dinner before curfew (and not be able to relax and have another glass of Rioja or cup of te manzanillo), no need to get up early (I'm not a morning person) to start the day's schedule again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interestingly, as I observed the non-reservation albergue pilgrims as I walked, I realized that I had a much less routinized Camino than they did: no need to finish the day's walk by early afternoon or risk not getting a bed in a town where I wanted to be, no need to rush to wash my clothes in time to dry them, no need to finish dinner before curfew (and not be able to relax and have another glass of Rioja or cup of te manzanillo), no need to get up early (I'm not a morning person) to start the day's schedule again.
Yes, I forgot to mention that, not having to worry about getting to town before things fill up is a definite plus.

I walked my 1st Camino from Sarria through a tour agency. That was 2011. I paid through the roofand I was stuck to a timetable..no freedom. Since then, I have done things my way. I book accommodation at my starting town in advance and that's it. There's lots more flexibility that way. And it's cheaper!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From all that I've read so far it seems to be that the best option is to plan ahead and pre-book - but do it myself and do it based on my comfort-zone, general state of feet and tolerance and fatigue and climate and back-packing stamina etc. And yes - if one doesn't have the time for research then definitely a tour company would take away all the hassle and free up time for (maybe training or researching equipment/gear etc.)

From all that I've read so far it seems to be that the best option is to plan ahead and pre-book - but do it myself and do it based on my comfort-zone, general state of feet and tolerance and fatigue and climate and back-packing stamina etc. And yes - if one doesn't have the time for research then definitely a tour company would take away all the hassle and free up time for (maybe training or researching equipment/gear etc.)

I don't think I'd plan too far ahead, you want to leave some flexibility in your schedule. I'd recommend just booking one or 2 nights in advance as you're walking. If you carried a list of hotels in each of the towns you're thinking about stopping in, you could just use that as you go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sue-Sheila. Walking with a tour company or totally unplanned and alone, and all the variations in between. It's hard to know what suits each individual. A lot of the 'anti' tour company advice here is not anti 'tour company' per se. But rather a desire to help new Pilgrims understand that it is perfectly feasible to 'go it alone'. And for most people it is.

Utilising the services of a tour company are no doubt great for those who need a high level of support on their journey.

I have seen a few different variations.

The Tour Company. I walked for many days with a lady who had booked everything via a tour company. It gave her the confidence and security she needed to get out there and walk the Camino. So great from that point of view.

But within days she regretted the decision. She got bad blisters and wanted to slow down, and take a day off, but because everything was pre booked she had to jump forward by taxi a few days in a row. And some of the pre booked accommodation was in locations well off the Camino, requiring more taxi transfers, and being away from the friends (and the real support) she had made. The Camino 'family' would stay in touch with her via email and Whats App to make sure she was OK, and to ensure she met up with some of us at each overnight stop.

She told me later that it was her one regret. Going with a tour company.

Booking Ahead with Luggage. I did this on my first Camino. Because of injury I couldn't carry my full pack and I also preferred the privacy of private accommodation. I generally booked one day ahead, picking my stops based on how much distance I wanted to walk. The distances got shorter and shorter over time due to injury.

Your distances will vary day to day, week by week, due to a number of variables. As you settle into the Camino, you may find you are coping with longer and longer distances. Or maybe you want to actually slow down and 'smell the roses' a bit more.

But booking ahead just one day, gave me the flexibility I needed. And sending some of my luggage ahead took some weight off my feet allowing me to actually make it to the end. Neither booking task was difficult and many kind hosts helped me out. A copy of a couple of the main guide books scanned onto my phone gave me a good list of accommodation, and booking.com came in handy too.

I don't think I missed out at all on the Social aspects of the Camino by staying in private accommodation. Many days I walked with and ate with a Camino 'family', which was nice. Half of whom were also staying in private accommodation.

Next year walking with my wife again, we should be able to carry all our own gear (very light 4kg and 7 kg) but stay in private accommodation again. We just prefer this. And carrying our gear obviously gives us added flexibility. We can change plans easily. (hopefully long term training and medical guidance will allow us to carry all our gear. That's the plan. Chronic Achilles Tendonitis (me) and Plantaar Faciitis (Pat) if you are wondering)

Totally Free Wheeling. I think most Pilgrims walk in this way. Not booking ahead at all, and just stopping when they want to. Many Forum members will seem to 'push' this approach. Not because they are pushy people, but because they honestly believe it gives the best Camino 'experience'. It is also popular because it is a much lower cost option of course.

So my take? Yes I pre-book. One or two days ahead.

Would I book the whole trip? (via a tour company or myself). No way! There are far too many variables at play. How your health and fitness holds up. When you might just want to take a day off. The people you meet and want to spend time with..........or avoid.

I think for a 'short' Camino, like from Sarria, it could work OK. You can push yourself along for 100 kms or so, to meet specific night stops. But anything much longer would merely become a stressful and unnecessary constraint I think.....

Trying to provide an objective view, but we are all biased by our own preferences and experiences of course ;)

Last edited:
Robo - what a marvelously comprehensive post - thank you for taking the time to write this - much appreciated. I am definitely coming to the conclusion that booking ahead 1-2 days at a time is the way to combine the best of both worlds.

Robo - what a marvelously comprehensive post - thank you for taking the time to write this - much appreciated. I am definitely coming to the conclusion that booking ahead 1-2 days at a time is the way to combine the best of both worlds.

I think so. There are a few different on-line booking apps. More than when I first walked only 2 years ago. This time around I'm taking some very specific Spanish lessons to enable me to book on the phone if I have to! Although many of my hosts last time did this for me, I just don't want to rely on it and inconvenience them.

It's nice to feel as independent as we can I think. It's a great feeling of freedom. Which for many, me included, is one of the wonderful aspects of walking the Camino. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's my plan when I return to the Camino.

I totally agree with Robo on that one. I just finished CP last month, after having done CF in 2015.
In 2015, I had the first night booked, and depending on how tired I felt by the end of the day, I would book the albergue/pension/inn for the next day. At a certain point, we hired a backpack carrier for 3 days, when my husband had a sunstroke.
Last month, we did not need the backpack carrier service. But we still kept booking ahead, usually via booking.com or agoda.com (that gives me frequent flyers points :D). I would look for free cancelling places, because in case we got closer to the place and realized we could walk more, I would cancel the booking and make a new one for somewhere ahead.
That gave us lots of freedom to walk as much as we wanted, or to rest as much as we wanted as well, having the tranquility that there would be a bed waiting for us :)

Anamya - very helpful - I will download the 2 apps you mention; also good to book at a cancellation without penalty place - thanks for sharing that useful tip

Sue-sheila, one thing you did not mention is what time of year you are thinking of walking. I've only walked the Camino Frances in September (2014 - might be different now) and there was only a bit of problem for late arrivers in the early stages, before Burgos. August might well be different, as that is the peak season for walking, especially from Sarria onwards and I would be much more concerned about booking ahead then.

I'm glad to see that you have obviously understood the flexibility of the CF and that it's not a binary option of book it or wing it, but that there are many options in between. The CF is unique in having so many accommodation choices along the way - I've just returned from the Camino Primitivo, and the options there are much more limited. But again, walking in May, I had no problems with winging it.

And may I just gently suggest that you do try an albergue for a night or two? They are NOT horrendous experiences, despite how it sounds written down!!! No, they are UNIQUE experiences, well worth trying just once or twice, so that you can at least dismiss them with knowledge and have a few good tales to tell afterwards! Actually, some of my best and most memorable nights were spent in fairly grotty albergues, when I felt that the camino spirit was actually at its best. It's a bit like the way that I did not fancy eating pulpo, another of the camino experiences - but until I had tried it and found that I did not enjoy it, I could not honestly say it was not for me.

Call me stupid or something, but the washing routine is actually incredibly soothing at the end of the walking day. Takes very little time, and on a hot day, its so nice to have your hands in cool water. Thanks to the forum, I got my pack down to 6kg, a weight which I can easily carry in my well fitting pack. I found that carrying my 6kg pack ('my life in 6kg') gave me a whole new take on materialism, which 3 years later, is still with me. When I got home again after 4 weeks, I was absolutely appalled at all the 'stuff' we have. I've been slowly reducing since then; just need the time to do it a bit faster.

However you walk the camino, enjoy your time on the road. Try and let yourself get out of your comfort zone now and then and be surprised as to where it takes you.

Buen camino

Never say Never............

As a confirmed 'private accommodation preferred' Pilgrim, my wife and I will probably try an Albergue for a night or two next year :eek:

Oh I can sense the responses already! :oops: Buy hey, if we never try it we'll never know.......

And apart from that, as Pat will need to keep to fairly short days, we may have a couple of nights where an Albergue is the only option. :D

I'm just reluctant to carry the weight of 2 sleeping bags. Even though I have found some at about 400 gms. So Pat is resigned to sleeping with all her clothes on inside a silk liner ;) (late April to early June on the CF - 50 day stroll)

Totally with you @Felice re the Pulpo! Rubber cubes with a sprinkle of paprika! Now, salt and pepper Calamari? Different thing altogether.........

Try and let yourself get out of your comfort zone now and then and be surprised as to where it takes you.

What great advice...... It almost always takes you somewhere even better :)

I have been taking small groups of people on the Camino since 2010.
We have had people join us after having done some of the Camino alone. They wanted to be free to walk slowly, stop and wait for a church or monastery to open, but also wanted to enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded people at dinner. Not everyone manages to form a Camino 'family' - especially if they are slow walkers.

We have also had people walk with us, then do another Camino on their own, and then join us for a different walk (Via Francigena or Aragones route.)

Most enjoy both ways of doing the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And may I just gently suggest that you do try an albergue for a night or two? They are NOT horrendous experiences, despite how it sounds written down!!! No, they are UNIQUE experiences, well worth trying just once or twice, so that you can at least dismiss them with knowledge and have a few good tales to tell afterwards!
Please let me add another gentle suggestion to the one above. To break yourself in slowly pick an albergue with a high room to bed ratio. You may get to like 90 beds to a room :eek::(:rolleyes: but at first you might want to try 6 to a room. :):D

Please let me add another gentle suggestion to the one above. To break yourself in slowly pick an albergue with a high room to bed ratio. You may get to like 90 beds to a room :eek::(:rolleyes: but at first you might want to try 6 to a room. :):D
I actually liked the anonymity that you get when you are in a dorm with twenty+ other people rather than just a few, and preferred the large dorms. Especially when the dorm didn't fill up, and people could spread out more.

I actually liked the anonymity that you get when you are in a dorm with twenty+ other people rather than just a few, and preferred the large dorms. Especially when the dorm didn't fill up, and people could spread out more.

One nice large albergue that springs to mind is A Reboleira in Fonfria. Lots of beds in the dorm, but well spaced out, and the bunks were made of tree trunks (!!!) and were really sturdy.
I find that I tend to sleep better in a large dorm with a fair amount of background noise (with earplugs well stuffed in) than a smaller dorm where it's quieter so that snoring is more distinct. And the odd glass of wine at supper helps no end!

Hi Felice - I plan to walk mid-August to end September. I am currently reading Katherine Soper's book where her albergue experience is far from pleasant! Regardless I'll try to keep an open mind. Is it typically the albergues that run out of room and is the next upgrade an hospitales or casa rurales? I'm guessing a hotel is even more upscale and expensive and a parador is sinful indulgence? Thanks for the Fonfria albergue name - will look out for it when I get going.
Sillydoll - when you say you have been "taking small groups of people" do you mean you walk with them? Are there fixed routes & dates for these walks? Please let me know - the more I read about flashers on the trail the more I want to at least walk within sight and hearing distance of others so I can be alone and yet feel a little more secure.
I love all the "gentle suggestions"! :)

... I plan to walk mid-August to end September. ... the more I read about flashers on the trail the more I want to at least walk within sight and hearing distance of others ...

In August/September that is pretty much guaranteed on the CF ;-) BC SY

Katherine Soper's book where her albergue experience is far from pleasant!
I haven't read this book. However, please put it in the context of all the other stuff that you have read. I am not an "albergue-type-of-person" but have been very pleased with most of my albergue experience. If I were writing a book, it would be much easier to describe and emphasize the negatives than the positives. In any case, albergues are not compulsory and it is not an all-or-nothing decision. If I don't feel like an albergue one day, then I go to a hostal or hotel.
Is it typically the albergues that run out of room and is the next upgrade an hospitales or casa rurales?
The cheaper accommodation tends to fill up fastest. Albergues come in several different types and many different styles; some will offer private (single or double) rooms often without private bathrooms. The next type of accommodation is a "hostal" - this is really a small hotel that doesn't have all of the hotel amenities such as 24-hour reception. It is probably a technical classification, but for our purposes, they are small hotels. They can be quite comfortable and inexpensive for a private room and bath. A "casa rural" is essentially a bed and breakfast. All of these can be found on any of the popular booking sites and are also advertised along the way. It is not necessary to list and reserve them all in advance, and it is not necessary to pick out all the "best" ones in advance.
the more I read about flashers on the trail
They are not frequent on the trail, so I wonder what you are reading. Again, please put in context of the number of people walking the camino. Walking in August-September you will have have no shortage of people in sight and within hearing.

If you want an organized group, just go for it. Stop trying to find the one perfect answer that everyone agrees with! (It doesn't exist.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
C Clearly - I am not looking for a perfect answer - I assure you. Just trying to gather experiences, perceptions and thoughts so I can make informed decisions when the time comes. Please put it down more to research and homework than any attempt to pursue the absolute right tailor-made fit! :)
As for where I am reading all this - it's right here on these forums - "live from the camino" -
Thank you for pointing out the differences between each type of accommodation - and it is very reassuring (for me) to know that in August/September it will be easy to keep up and/or fall back with others on the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read about flashers on the trail the more I want to at least walk within sight and hearing distance of others so I can be alone and yet feel a little more secure.
I never saw, nor had any fear of encountering flashers on the Camino.
I'm sure that there are some out there, but your odds of encountering one are very, very slim.

@SYates, you mean the others, right? Not the flashers? :rolleyes:

Obviously - sorry second language English speaker here. To make it clear as crystal:

Anybody walking the CF in August/September will need to make a real effort (walking very early or very late in the day) to not be in sight of several other pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Obviously - sorry second language English speaker here.
Having a little fun. I hope you noticed Mr. Rolleyes :rolleyes:

English isn't always so clear and you can get some humor from that. Here is something from the movie Mary Poppins that shows some confusion for even native speakers:

Bert: “I know a man with a wooden leg named Smith.”
Uncle Albert: “What's the name of his other leg?

Last edited:
Sue-Sheila, many women who walk the camino alone (like me) want to step out of their comfort zone, but also to have the security of some kind of changable plan for route and stopping places. Some of my best and strongest memories of my two caminos were from albergues completely unplanned or walking alone (within whistle distance) on a mountain or in the woods. Our feelings evolve pre-, during, and post camino, which is exactly what you are doing right now. Take a look at the Favorite Albergue download for some ideas if you are thinking about the Camino Frances.

Thank you Rick - sounds (pun intended) perfect - exactly what I was looking for

I realize I'm a male and may have a different reference point, but I didn't see any part of the Camino that looked even slightly dangerous or threatening. I think a much bigger threat would be the street crossings on the Camino and getting hit by a car, and that's not much of a threat if you use common sense when crossing the street.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes Viva - in the book I'm reading currently (a true account) a pilgrim dies getting hit by an inebriated local.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Rick - sounds (pun intended) perfect - exactly what I was looking for
If you do get one of these (the large or small) please review it here. I've seen the large one in orange at camping stores but even if it were sanitary to try them out I don't think I have the guts to try one out there. I do however ring large bells when I can find them. The one at St. Stevens in Zabaldika was a real treat. I haven't been to the Liberty Bell in Philadephia yet but watch for news reports. :D

Interestingly, as I observed the non-reservation albergue pilgrims as I walked, I realized that I had a much less routinized Camino than they did: no need to finish the day's walk by early afternoon or risk not getting a bed in a town where I wanted to be, no need to rush to wash my clothes in time to dry them, no need to finish dinner before curfew (and not be able to relax and have another glass of Rioja or cup of te manzanillo), no need to get up early (I'm not a morning person) to start the day's schedule again.

Something that often strikes me when I read the forum is that there are different definitions of freedom. There's the freedom to take each day as it comes, to stop where you want and when you want, and to not be tied to a daily schedule. But there's also the freedom of being able to sleep in, or stay up later, or to not have to race for a bed during busy periods. Both seem equally valid.

I have seen a few different variations....

The Tour Company.
Booking Ahead with Luggage.
Totally Free Wheeling.

If I can add one more ... and I'm not even sure what to call it.

I had dinner with a friend last week who used a tour company to walk part of the Camino. He loved it, and we talked about joining up for a week or two this summer. But the more he talked about his walk, the more I thought: his experience doesn't sound at all like the experiences I read about on the forum. For the most part, it was the people he met: madame so-and-so, who married the heir to a perfume company, and the actor this-and-that, and the lovely lady who invited everyone back to her fabulous villa on the Spanish coast when they were done, and so on. There was a lot of name dropping, though I had never heard of any of the names.

I looked up the company he used. And a typical schedule looked like this:
  • breakfast
  • transfer to starting point
  • walk two to three hours
  • transfer to xxx for dinner and overnight.
The whole trip, from SJPP to Santiago, only takes 12 days!!!

And I think: if someone uses a luggage service, I don't care. We all have different strengths. Let's have a glass of wine and share our experiences. If someone books ahead, or uses a company to book ahead, or sticks to the Brierly stages, or walks 5 km per day, or 30, or stays at hotels instead of albergues: I don't care. Mas vino, por favor. But I don't think I'd be able to relate to folks who are being shuttled from town to town.

To the OP specifically: my friend absolutely loved his trip. He would do it again. But I would note that he bonded with his tour group, and didn't talk at all about anyone else he met en route. A lot would come down to the type of experience you are looking for.

Last edited:
Domigee - will check but think the link Rick sent has more whistle power.
Rick - will definitely review soon as I get one.
MichaelC - thx for sharing your friend's experience - doesn't sound like my cup but each to his/her own certainly
Rick - having got your measure I'm now no longer sure when you're kidding & when you're not - I'm now researching trekking poles being used as alpenhorns - please tell me it's not a wild goose chase!:-O

Rick - having got your measure I'm now no longer sure when you're kidding & when you're not - I'm now researching trekking poles being used as alpenhorns - please tell me it's not a wild goose chase!:-O
Sorry. I've lead you on a wild goose chase. I thought my rolleyes icon would have been a giveaway that I was kidding.

Rick - in my defense I have very little real estate on my phone to absorb emoticons! Plus we live in a technologically advanced world where microwaves spy on us - so why not investigate a hootin' tootin' trekking pole?!?!
Btw - I did not believe it for one second emoticon or not -

In the end, it is a personal choice.
I lead groups on the Camino and the people that usually sign up with me are people who aren't quite ready to tackle it on their own, have particular health issues, don't speak Spanish, want to walk with a group, want bag transport and don't want to deal with it, or want booked lodging and don't want to deal with it.

Albergues with 20-150 people aren't for everyone.
Carrying your own pack isn't for everyone.
Walking alone isn't for everyone.
Walking without transportation support isn't for everyone.
Simply WALKING every step of the way isn't for everyone.
Meeting new people can be a bit scary for some.

There are many reasons people book a trip.

And as far as pricing goes, there is a wide range in pricing and generally it depends on your needs and wants and/or how much time the operator has to put into planning your trip.
For myself, I can tell you that I spend hundreds of hours planning and conducting a group trip. I think I added it up once and I made under $5/hour. So for me and others, it's not about the money but about providing a service that is obviously needed, or we'd all go out of business.
Those hours include booking the people themselves, providing them with information, answering their many questions and giving individual attention to their concerns, planning the trip, pricing the trip, booking the lodging and confirming it more than once, booking the bag transport, arriving early to meet people as they arrive, walking with those who need a little encouragement, putting out fires, and much more.

I used to say "ANYONE" can walk the Camino alone.
I no longer say that because I have met people who NEED the support of a group or group leader.

There is not one way to do the Camino.
There are as many ways as there are routes and people.

For some people, walking alone without planning is a wonderful adventure.
For others, that is a frightening thought and walking with a group on a well-planned, pre-booked trip is adventure enough.

To each his/her own.
Do what makes your little heart happy and listen to your gut.
That's my advice.

AnnieSantiago - thank you so much for providing a much-needed input from "the other side";
You are absolutely right about everything - walking the entire CF was adventure enough for me; however I do see the advantage of a more flexible open schedule where I can plan ahead based on my own pace and take each day as it comes. I know how hard the tour operator worked towards putting my walk together & I feel lousy about having wasted her time. I should've done my research first! :-(

Hi @sue-sheila, do you have a starting town in mind?

And @DurhamParish may be able to give you some info on a tour company he's used and liked.

Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Sue-Sheila. Faith mentioned my name above concerning my experiences with using a tour company. I have walked 4 caminos the "normal" way, that is, without any pre-planning or pre-booking at all; and have also walked one camino on the extreme opposite end, with a not only was it pre-planned and pre-booked, but there was also a guide (who would tend your blisters for you) and a bus to meet you two or three times during the day, just in case you couldn't walk anymore, a Spanish cell phone to carry with you just in case you needed them to come and pick you up, and pretty nice casa rurals to stay in at night. They also pay the cathedral in Santiago to make sure that they swing the botofumiero the day you arrive for the pilgrim mass. As a matter of fact, I'm just getting ready to sign up with that same company for a "camino" next April/May.

Don't let anyone tell you that it is wrong to to use a tour agency for planning or booking your camon. Doing the camino without pre-planning and pre-booking isn't for everyone. I love doing it that way, but my wife and friends would rather die than stay in albergues, or carry a full pack, or not have a guide to tend to your every whim, or not have luxurious (relatively speaking) private en-suite hotel rooms to rest in.

We have, and will use, MarlyCamino. www.marlycamino.com It is a first class company and they do a marvelous job. They also do "caminos" where they are not guided, but they just pre-book everything for you. I tried to talk my wife into doing it that way instead of with the bus and the guide, but she wasn't interested.

Good luck on whatever you decide. And don't let anyone tell you whatever you decide to do is wrong. You do what is right for you.

Thank you for sharing both sides DurhamParish - I see that we are neighbors (I live in Northern VA); Would love to talk to you if I may.

Thank you for giving a 'both-sides-of-the-coin' account of the options available @DurhamParish. I clicked on the link and when I scrolled down the page of that company read the following

' ... It is also an amazing transformational journey within, when you will experience the awe-inspiring, life-changing energy that millions of Pilgrims have felt throughout the centuries.'

This is wrong on at least two counts. Firstly the use of the phrase 'when you will' rather than 'when you might' implies it always happens by presenting the transformative power of the Camino as part of the itinerary and then compounding that error by commodifying what might be, for some people, a spiritual experience. There is a problem, as we know reading posts from some prospective pilgrims, of their having had their expectations of how walking the Camino will change their lives raised to an unrealistic level, and the inevitable disappointment/loss/guilt that follows when this does not happen. Of course it might happen, during the walk, at the end in SdC or years later after returning home. But to include that transformation as part of the company's statement of the experience offered is very unsettling and raises the question of whether you can clam your money back if the 'transformative power' somehow alludes you on your organised journey. :D For sure, book the hotels, the transport, use the bag shuttle walk the Camino within your own limits, but please can we leave religious or spiritual experiences out of the commercial offering. It is inappropriate and a hostage to fortune. Just in case people think it unfair to focus on this company, others also package the religio/spiritual significance of the Camino not least by guaranteeing that all those walking will be eligible to receive a compostela at the end - no mention of the requirements that make that possible as opposed to a distance certificate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @sue-sheila,

I walked the full Camino Frances, March/April/May 2016, and booked with an organising company for a bunch of reasons. I had an extra bag transferred forward every day and stayed in very small hotels. If I had carried a large pack I wouldn't have made it as I developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I had suffered a bout of PF while training during the previous year - that almost completely cleared up by Camino time but I was very wary of it recurring. It did and it took me 6 months to recover. I had extra gear to carry - photographic equipment and a Cpap machine, also clothes, etc. for a long holiday after the Camino. I really enjoyed the privacy in the evenings because I needed long hot showers and did a lot of hobbling and limping and lying down.

Negatives: I missed out on the whole hostel social scene but I met hundreds of people walking and at mealtimes. It cost a lot of extra money. If anything goes wrong and you want a few rest days (blisters, sprains) you're locked in to pre-booked accommodation and that can be for weeks ahead.

What I would do differently?: I would book ahead same as last time BUT, allow more rest days - one per week is not enough. Get regular massages - one a week sounds lovely.

I walked for a couple of weeks, off and on, with a couple who booked ahead every day, stayed in many hotels I did. I think they sent bags ahead too, we all carried similar small daypacks. So they didn't use a "tour" company and saved some money, were more flexible. Infrastructure along the Camino Frances is extensive - taxis, baggage transfers, accommodation, etc. BUT, I expect that summer would be very different, all services would be very much in demand. If Spain was closer to home, I might have done it differently. I could have stopped, jumped on a quick flight or train home and gone back the following year. But Australia is very expensive flights to everywhere and I'm a bit of an obsessive planner.

Purist pilgrims would not approve of my Camino choices. But I walked 800kms and I was 72 at the time. No regrets at all.

I used Macs Adventure (Glasgow). Service was flawless, they never missed a beat. Local contact was a Spanish company called Tee Travel, they were great to deal with, solved a few problems instantly, I only had to call them 3 or 4 times.

Buen Camino, - Mike
I too used Macs - excellent! I highly recommend them. My Camino was about the walk, so had no second thoughts about bag transfers and pre-booked rooms. Plenty of social opportunity en route - if you want it - and there are plenty of folks who, if you ask, would welcome you to their breakfast or dinner table. On that, go for the breakfast included self guided tour but don't include the evening meal. Means you always set out with a breakfast inside you, but leaves you flexibility for the evening.

I'm not sure whose time you wasted.
My intention wasn't to guilt you out. :p
Just wanted to be clear about how much time and effort a group leader can save you, if that is what you need.

I've walked alone and with groups.
There are pros and cons to both.

Personally, I prefer walking on my own whenever I can. I enjoy the solitude, the ability to be spontaneous, and walking at my own speed.
I don't like to plan too much - you never know what opportunities might arise!
However, I also much enjoy a private room, more so as I grow older. So even when I walk alone, I often book ahead if I know where I'll be sleeping.

If you are a person with even a bit of self-confidence, who likes to meet new people, who isn't freaked out by the funny little things that happen on a Camino, things such as walking all day to find the albergue has a sign on the door that reads, 'Completo!" ... who can simply walk to the next village or call a cab, or sleep under a tree... who has a positive attitude and really DOES believe, "The Camino will provide," then you'll be fine on your own!

Have a wonderful walk!

I too used Macs - excellent! I highly recommend them. My Camino was about the walk, so had no second thoughts about bag transfers and pre-booked rooms. Plenty of social opportunity en route - if you want it - and there are plenty of folks who, if you ask, would welcome you to their breakfast or dinner table. On that, go for the breakfast included self guided tour but don't include the evening meal. Means you always set out with a breakfast inside you, but leaves you flexibility for the evening.
Yes, I spent a few bucks on accommodation but really pigged out at the included breakfast. When there was a lot of choice I really went for it and therefore saved on lunch expenses. I always got my own dinner, but often paid for dinner at the hotel as that was a good source of profit for the owners. They were almost always very eager to please and kind. I'm a vegetarian so often asked for a mix and match order from among the menu choices. This never caused any problems. This personal service in a small establishment was always very pleasant and good-natured.

Marly Camino does a fantastic job. They can arrange your tour, or you can join one of their tours. wonderful people, and they only do camino trips.

To answer the posters original question, when I originally walked from Leon it was with a tour company, and all was pre-booked. Since then I have done my own booking on 2 caminos, being too light of a sleeper to manage in a group setting. After the first time and with so many places on the web it was very easy. Good luck

Marly Camino does a fantastic job. They can arrange your tour, or you can join one of their tours. wonderful people, and they only do camino trips.

Thanks McFloozy. It's nice to hear that other's have enjoyed their offerings. They truly are an amazing group of people who can bring the camino experience to those who may not be able to enjoy the camino otherwise. As a matter of fact, a group of us will soon be signing up for another MarlyCamino trip next April.

And I warn those who want to use someone like Marly to ignore the inane rantings of those who are critical of such services. Especially those who have never tried this type of an experience. I actually had a long telephone conversation with Sue-Sheila this afternoon and I was shocked when she related to me the content of a PM she received.

Last edited:
Yes, I spent a few bucks on accommodation but really pigged out at the included breakfast. When there was a lot of choice I really went for it and therefore saved on lunch expenses. I always got my own dinner, but often paid for dinner at the hotel as that was a good source of profit for the owners. They were almost always very eager to please and kind. I'm a vegetarian so often asked for a mix and match order from among the menu choices. This never caused any problems. This personal service in a small establishment was always very pleasant and good-natured.
I did a pre booked week long trip on the Camino (St. Jean to Logrono) with breakfast included and would not opt for the breakfast again. I found myself departing before the breakfast was served and preferred to eat after an hour or two of walking. You can always arrange breakfast upon check in, so no need to pay for at the time of booking.

I did a pre booked week long trip on the Camino (St. Jean to Logrono) with breakfast included and would not opt for the breakfast again. I found myself departing before the breakfast was served and preferred to eat after an hour or two of walking. You can always arrange breakfast upon check in, so no need to pay for at the time of booking.
A wise choice. I didn't always eat breakfast, but enjoyed it and really stoked up when there was a big choice at a buffet breakfast at the larger hotels. That's when I really shovelled it in and saved money later in the day. I'm not an early starter, so heading out at dawn and missing breakfast is not a factor with me. I was sometimes too tired to eat dinner so was ravenous by morning. I walked for 6 weeks so had time for a pattern to set in.

Not long back. I stayed in hostals and hotels rather more often than expected because of illness and met lots of nice folk who had chosen the fully organised option. In conversation with them, almost all of them said they weren't "real prilgrims". But they are because pilgrimage is a state of mind. If I choose to walk and carry a pack and stay in albergues when well that is my choice. The camino frances is changing, it seems to have changed a lot since I walked in 2015. But so does life.

We met a pilgrim on the French Camino who was continually needing to take taxis because she could not do the distance to the next reservation each day that had been prebooked by a tour company. Knowing how far you can walk consistently Is important if you are prebooking! We used caminofacil to move our bags and it worked out well! Our bags arrived without incidence! We combined hotels, pensions, and some albergues. We never stayed in dorms because of a combination of our need for 8 hours of good sleep and bathroom issues. We met some young 30km daily walkers who shared a private room with one another because of the sleep issue! The more you know yourself, abilities and limitations the easier the decision will be!

Marbe2 - well said! Thanks to the advice & input of the many people on this forum kind enough to take the time to share their experience and expertise I have pretty much decided that it would be foolish to get tied down to a pre-determined schedule without quite knowing how I'll fare on the Camino! So I'll play it by ear - my own! :)

We met a pilgrim on the French Camino who was continually needing to take taxis because she could not do the distance to the next reservation each day that had been prebooked by a tour company. Knowing how far you can walk consistently Is important if you are prebooking! We used caminofacil to move our bags and it worked out well! Our bags arrived without incidence! We combined hotels, pensions, and some albergues. We never stayed in dorms because of a combination of our need for 8 hours of good sleep and bathroom issues. We met some young 30km daily walkers who shared a private room with one another because of the sleep issue! The more you know yourself, abilities and limitations the easier the decision will be!
While on the CF last year I heard some very quick and urgent gravel crunching come up behind me like a train. I stopped and turned around in case it was a serial killer and it was a little nuggetty guy in a baseball cap who didn't miss a beat, rushed past me, walking backwards for a few paces. Italian I think, maybe 55 years of age, short shorts, and it was cold. He said he walked 40kms per day, I don't know how far he walked on his Camino in total, maybe 40kms!?

Last year was my first Camino. I learned a lot. Most importantly, walk 400kms max. 20 to 25 kms max per day.

Have fun out there, Buen Camino, - Mike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank goodness for little nuggety (whatever that means) guys in short shorts who are NOT serial killers!!!
However what do you mean by max 400 km Mike? That's only half the CF!!! I get the 20-25 km per day part! Please explain.

Thank goodness for little nuggety (whatever that means) guys in short shorts who are NOT serial killers!!!
However what do you mean by max 400 km Mike? That's only half the CF!!! I get the 20-25 km per day part! Please explain.
He was muscly, short and very fit for his age, very energetic. He was coming up behind me so fast I was a bit unsettled, but he turned out to be a very charming character with a powerful sense of purpose.

I found the full 800kms CF to be too hard on my feet - I ended up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis, which cleared up completely after about 6 months. My legs are very strong but one weak ankle and 2 weak arches, luck of the draw. I intend to walk again ASAP, but the walks I have earmarked allow for some recreation time - quite a few days off. I'll walk only about 400 kms per camino from now on, that'll take me at least 4 weeks with days off to smell the roses. I'm a very keen photographer so I like to spend a few hours each day shooting photos of whatever I find along the way. Some CF pics on my website, link below.

Thanks for asking. Didn't mean to alarm you.

Aah - now I understand. PF is one of my biggest fears - I had it once & it lasted 2 whole years! I will research preventive exercises forthwith!
Stopping to smell the roses is very important & that's probably what my snail's pace is good for! :)
I saw your pictures - beautiful. Rest assured you amused rather than alarmed me!

I would say that quite a number of members on this Forum have an instinctive bias against tour companies, and given the nature of the Forum I think that is understandable. However, I did my first long distance walk back in 1985, and since then I have done a reasonable number of long walks. I have walked carrying my backpack and I have walked using luggage transport; I have walked using tour agencies for self-guided trips and I have walked just finding accommodation along the way; I have walked solo and I have walked with others. As far as I can tell, none of that really matters. What I think is important is to just get out and do it. It is not how you do it, but how you experience it. It is seeing and learning the culture, seeing and learning the history, meeting interesting people from around the globe, enjoying the food and wine, and maybe even learning a bit about yourself.

So my simple opinion is that if there are people out there that like the simplicity and comfort of using a tour agency, go for it. My experiences have all been good. I have no regrets. My only word of advice would be to do your research, look at multiple organizations and understand what services you are receiving for the money you are paying. If you feel you are getting decent value for the money, then it's all good.

To answer your specific question, although I have used tour agencies for self-guided trips in the recent past, this summer I am carrying my pack and basically making my own way on the Via Francigena. I have however reserved beds in advance, as accommodation appears sparse along the route. I could have used a tour company, and may do so again in the future, but this time I just wanted to change it up a bit and make sure that I am not getting too soft in my old age.

By the way, I am not connected in any way with a tour company, and I am not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone from using them. They are there, and they provide a service that meets the needs of some, but not others.

Either way, enjoy your Camino!
completamente de acuerdo. Haga el Camino y lo importante es Vivirlo. Disfrutelo ! Buen Camino!

Quote: "My only word of advice would be to do your research, look at multiple organizations and understand what services you are receiving for the money you are paying. If you feel you are getting decent value for the money, then it's all good. "

Agree 100%. My advice to people searching for a suitable tour company is:
  1. Read everything on the websites and keep a list of which ones you've looked at and what each one provides. That way you won't get mixed up with who offers what when you finally do a booking.
  2. No good companing when the air-conditioned Mercedes back-up bus carrying healthy snacks doesn't appear behind you if the company you chose never offered one in the first place!
  3. Also no good bemoaning the fact that you never got to sleep in a pilgrim dormitory if the website makes it clear that they do not book their groups into pilgrim dorms.
  4. Most importantly, be honest about your physical capability and fitness. If the walk advertises an itinerary of ±20 km (12.4 miles) per day for 18 days, and you know that you can't even walk 8 miles, don't join that group thinking that you will get fitter and fitter on the Camino until you can hike like a gazelle - it ain't gonna happen!

And let me add this: some of the folks who lead organized small-group walks are just darn good company!

In 2012 I walked with Anniesantiago. In 2015 I walked with sillydoll. And I consider myself blessed to have been able to do so. In 2017 I stepped outside my comfort zone and walked the short, simple, Camino Finisterre solo -- no group. Easily done -- and I had a wonderful good time. But you know what? I'd have had more fun walking with Anniesantiago or sillydoll! 2017 confirmed what I suspected about myself. Walking solo I tend to withdraw too much into myself.

I speak Spanish. I know the Camino well -- its unique 'culture', its churches and monuments, its tapas bars and pulpo restaurants. I visit the Forum regularly.... I could certainly go solo. But when I next go back I will not walk alone.

Last edited:
And let me add this: some of the folks who lead organized small-group walks are just darn good company!

In 2012 I walked with Anniesantiago. In 2015 I walked with sillydoll. And I consider myself blessed to have been able to do so. In 2017 I stepped outside my comfort zone and walked the short, simple, Camino Finisterre solo -- no group. Easily done -- and I had a wonderful good time. But you know what? I'd have had more fun walking with Anniesantiago or sillydoll! 2017 confirmed what I suspected about myself. Walking solo I tend to withdraw too much into myself.

I speak Spanish. I know the Camino well, now -- its unique 'culture', its churches and monuments, its tapas bars and pulpo restaurants. I visit the Forum regularly.... I could certainly go solo. But when I next go back I will not walk alone.

Amen.

Regarding plantar fasciitis- highly recommend Katy Bowman as a resource for prevention and cure. Google her name and you will find many suggestions on her website.

Buen Camino

JG

Rappahannock_rev - thank you for bravely sharing that in a place where solitude is sought and welcomed by many! I do know from personal experience that sometimes when I'm alone with my thoughts they come crowding in and overwhelm me - but I can equally understand the "quiet time" craving that many have - we'll see which bucket my Camino nudges me towards.
JG - I will lookup Katy Bowman - thank you so much

So many wonderful, enriching replies and I learned so much from reading them.

I would add my own personal journey to this: When I decided to walk the Camino, as I am a single woman with a 10 year old child, my very first instinct was to book a tour company, hire a guide, have my luggage transported and anything else possibly offered. My instinct to do this was because I had never done a Camino before and didn't know what to expect, I was afraid, I didn't want to feel vulnerable, I don't speak Spanish, I was going to a foreign country, I have a child. I knew physically I could walk between 8 and 10 miles a day and that she could walk 6 to 8. I had read every packing list possible, had proper "light drying" clothes, broken in trail shoes, Teva sandals to air feet, Buff and sunscreen, Compeed, Neosporin and Advil, hat and Uniqlo superlight jacket. Even LUSH bar in the tin that I drove to Santa Monica (from LA) for.

In the end, what mattered was remembering less is more and be comfortable in what you choose. But I researched, researched and researched.

Then a Google search landed me here at the Camino Forum and I devoured all the posts and wisdom. I chose to trust the words here that I was physically able to walk it and the Camino would provide. Yet I was still filled with anxiety the days before I left because I was stepping outside of my comfort zone. But I chose not to hire any touring company because of the cost and also because it quickly seemed unnecessary after reading this forum because the things they provided I knew I could do myself.

My daughter and I just returned from the Camino Frances, having walked 126 km outside Sarria to Santiago in 8 days, giving us 3 extra days to spend in Santiago. We walked farther than we expected each day, averaging 8 to 12 miles. We carried our own packs, careful to adhere to the less than 10% of our body weight rule. We did not stay in any albergues. We stayed in pensions, hostels and casa rurales simply because I wanted her to have privacy and her own bathroom. Every afternoon, I looked at the next stage map from Brierley and sussed out the 8 mile range and then used Booking.com to find places with double rooms/private bath in that area and booked only the next day's stay.

Never did we have any problems. After one day walking, I knew we were fine. After two, we were having the time of our lives. We were constantly surrounded by people, we easily got by with English only, we made friends, we had our own bathroom, we paid between 30 and 40 a night for a double room/private bath and we walked at our pace.

What I noticed was when I walked by the places to stay that I saw on Booking.com or in our Wise Pilgrim/Gronze app ( I used both), I would then see the other places I had passed up and think - wow, that one is so COOL! Wish I'd stay there. But when I got to our booked place, that was cool too because I had read the reviews on Booking and made great choices, finding most were left by pilgrims. We never had a bad stay. And where to stay was really the concern. Food/bars/cafes/places to buy toiletries/clothes/trekking poles, all were easy to find. And I found that even though I obsessed over my packing list and had packed only 3 total sets of clothes, I still left behind one set of clothes, the microfibre towel AND the Lush bar in a tin. Everywhere I stayed in a private room/bath had soap, shampoo, towels. I didn't need any of the "camping" items I brought and kept shedding - emotionally and practically.

So, booking a day ahead gave me peace of mind. Gave me a private bathroom. Saved me a lot of money. And I learned, the magic happens outside your comfort zone.

Whatever you choose, you will be okay.

Last edited:
Katherine - thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope to be able to post something similar after I'm done with my Camino! :)
May I ask what phone you used on the Camino?

Hi there,

I took my regular Samsung/Android phone. I have AT&T and paid for the $10 a day foreign/International use/flat fee for all. You pay the days you use it. It was cheaper than using an international plan that I had before based on data as I always seemed to go over. It's a flat fee for everything and as I was taking photos, booking places to stay and checking in with friends/family as well as posting nightly a sort of daily recap with photos on Instagram it just made my life easier to have my phone and use it as I normally do. I have tried the buy a cheap phone/SIM card options travelling in other countries before and in the end, I realized all my apps/life are on my phone and I don't want to carry two phones. So... I just paid for it. I don't carry a laptop/tablet and I didn't need to use internet cafes/pay for usage, so in the end, it did work better for me. Also, I would add as I was trying to disconnect, I only used my phone in the afternoons/evenings for booking and found the more I stayed off it, the better I felt.

Last edited:
May I ask what phone you used on the Camino?
Any phone should do, as long as it is unlocked. Either get an international plan from your current supplier, or buy a SIM card on arrival in Spain. Vodafone and others have a 30-day Visitors option that provides lots of talk time and enough data for most purposes. It can be topped up after 30 days, in case you need it longer.

Even if you don't want to bother with either an international plan or a new SIM card, remember that you can use your existing phone to access wifi anywhere and you can still make phone calls with it, albeit at a rather high cost. For me, that is about $2/minute, but in an emergency (or even important) situation, that is not so terrible! Just be sure that you normally leave it on Airplane/Flight mode. You can turn on Wifi while still in airplane mode, so you won't receive/transmit on the phone service.

I have tried the buy a cheap phone/SIM card options travelling in other countries before and in the end, I realized all my apps/life are on my phone and I don't want to carry two phones.
You do not need to carry 2 phones. All the apps and accounts that you have on your existing device will still be available when you change the SIM card. Only the phone number will change.

Yes and that is great advice! For me, I have a fairly new phone that was not unlocked and I did not want to change my phone number/give a new number to friends, etc. It really is more a comfort level than anything. It definitely comes down to where you want to give/where you want to save.

Katherine/C clearly - all points noted. Thank you both for your help! I unlocked my phone last week (I too am with ATT) - however, as I will be there for almost 2 months, their international plan is too expensive for me! Guess I'll go the SIM way when the time comes

That sounds smart! I know the international plans were 30, 60 and 120 I think but I always seemed to go over - way too fast - so I would do the SIM too!

(And I am so excited for you to be going and can't wait to follow your adventures!)

In the end, it is a personal choice. I lead groups on the Camino and the people that usually sign up with me are people who aren't quite ready to tackle it on their own, have particular health issues, don't speak Spanish, want to walk with a group, want bag transport and don't want to deal with it, or want booked lodging and don't want to deal with it.[...] To each his/her own. Do what makes your little heart happy and listen to your gut. That's my advice.
Absolutely, and do want all this when your wallet doesn't mind forking out the differences.:(

Absolutely, and do want all this when your wallet doesn't mind forking out the differences.:(
Frankly, there's not much difference. There aren't too many places you can go in Europe for 18 nights for $1700 that include booked NICE lodging, bus transport between the large cities, and bag transport. I budget for 8 and divide the cost by 7 to cover myself. I probably "make" $2/hour, if that, for all the time it takes me to manage the trip.

...Then a Google search landed me here at the Camino Forum and I devoured all the posts and wisdom. I chose to trust the words here that I was physically able to walk it and the Camino would provide. Yet I was still filled with anxiety the days before I left because I was stepping outside of my comfort zone. But I chose not to hire any touring company because of the cost and also because it quickly seemed unnecessary after reading this forum because the things they provided I knew I could do myself.

My daughter and I just returned from the Camino Frances, having walked 126 km outside Sarria to Santiago in 8 days, giving us 3 extra days to spend in Santiago. We walked farther than we expected each day, averaging 8 to 12 miles. We carried our own packs, careful to adhere to the less than 10% of our body weight rule. We did not stay in any albergues. We stayed in pensions, hostels and casa rurales simply because I wanted her to have privacy and her own bathroom. Every afternoon, I looked at the next stage map from Brierley and sussed out the 8 mile range and then used Booking.com to find places with double rooms/private bath in that area and booked only the next day's stay.

Never did we have any problems. After one day walking, I knew we were fine. After two, we were having the time of our lives. We were constantly surrounded by people, we easily got by with English only, we made friends, we had our own bathroom, we paid between 30 and 40 a night for a double room/private bath and we walked at our pace....
You may find it strange, but I am very happy to read that the Forum helped you to make a good decision that was right for you and your daugther. Well done by the both of you!

I am also very happy, and touched, that you treated your 10 yo daughter to the Camino experience: Very wise of you, and very educational for her, I am sure! Many people willl benefit immensely from walking the Camino with an open heart, in the tracks of millions before us, and feel the force. Getting new perspectives on life, etc.

Sadly, many people go on their first Camino in late years. Starting at a young age can give people a headstart on the important issues in life, IMHO. All what solitude and thinking can bring about. Just my humble experience.

I always walked alone. Never did I reserve ahead, and never did I not get a bed, in 8 years, on different Caminos. But I start out at ca. 7 AM and stop between 1-2.30 PM (max.), because I have walked my kms by then, and I want to make/have my lunch and get to know the place I'm in. Totally relaxed.

But: I have been considering a tour operator, because my partner (Hard to call a woman aged 65 a "girlfriend"... ;)) has really bad knees, and I would love to give her the Camino experience with ease and assistance. But having seen the prices of some operators, I will rather plan my own experience for her: much cheaper; skipping the hard ascents and descents.

But that is because I now know the Way, after some years: First timers with uncertainties may benefit from such arrangements, although it will be more expensive than needed, if you know the Way. But that is all good: Praise to those that help firsttimers/disabled/fearful people. It is a good thing they do and a good service they provide IMHO. As long as they do not occupy albergue beds that long-distance walkers need, IMHO. ;)

@sue-sheila But now, after your first Camino, you know a lot more about how easy it actually is to be a pilgrim, on your own. Spain is a highly sophisticated country ;)

Last edited:
Thank you in advance.
Here's the deal, you can do anything for yourself that a tour provider will do for you, plus you'll have more flexibility. You can make your own reservations a day or two in advance based on your progress. With Jacotrans, it is easy to send your bags ahead if you like. You can also catch a taxi or bus to advance to your next destination if you get behind schedule. I can appreciate that this all feels like a leap of faith, but it is all eminently doable.

Your Camino is your Camino but count me out! What worked for us was to figure out where we thought we would end up the next day, or the morning of that day, and start walking. We did call ahead during the day the last 100km''s about 1/2 the time. Mostly we set out early and walked to our destination and stopped walking relatively early so 1) the sun was at our back 2) we wouldn't feel any pressure about finding a bed 3) we could do our washing and washing up and have time to relax or visit anything we wanted to at the location we were at. We also tried to not end up at Brierley endpoints but that was a very soft rule. Better to just let it flow, which is why the sound of a tour company, in addition to being unnecessary, abhors me. No schedules please!

I have to say I also abhor cruises or any other packaged trip where I have to march to someone else's schedule.

A final comment. It's interesting to see people's phobias come out on here - flashers, dog whistles to ward off attackers, phones, breakfast, shared company, uncertainty of where I will sleep . The best thing about my Caminos have been smashing those preconceived ideas of how people behave and react. Give a chance for the goodness of people to come out rather than plan against negative events that won't happen anyway! The less interference from plans, schedules, and boxes led to full life changing experiences and irreplaceable memories. Buen Camino to you, in whatever form it may take.

Last edited:
I leave in 2 days and am grateful (immensely) to everyone who provided invaluable input - I will carry my phobias with me (cannot shake them off just yet - gotta have first-timer nerves) but hoping to leave them behind on the Camino; Once I am back, I will jauntily dismiss fears that any future Camino walkers may express by sharing my own experience and how I was able to shrug off the initial apprehensions and return with a cavalier and care-free attitude! :)

Thank you in advance.
I’ve used a pre mapped company with luggage transfers and will definitely do it again. Listen, it’s hard enough out there. Your pilgrimage is YOURS. The inner work that happens while out there is deep no matter how you slice it so follow your gut on this and know it’s an amazing adventure no matter how you do it.

I’ve used a pre mapped company with luggage transfers and will definitely do it again. Listen, it’s hard enough out there. Your pilgrimage is YOURS. The inner work that happens while out there is deep no matter how you slice it so follow your gut on this and know it’s an amazing adventure no matter how you do it.
Hi, @LpDenver, Welcome to the forum.

This thread is three years old (I am never sure if new members realize that on their initial posts) but of course it is still a topic of interest. If you want to find more recent threads on transfer companies, try the search function up in the top right corner.

I have scrolled through the responses and am not really surprised to see that they seem familiar and provide a good (i.e., respectful) back and forth on the pros and cons. The goal I think is not so much to win or lose an argument as to give your experiences so that the person with questions can think better about the choice to be made. And I think this thread did a very good job of that!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you in advance.
I walked the Camino del Norte for two weeks last October . I used Follow the Camino for hotel booking and taking a small bag. I initially wasn’t going to use a company, but my husband was not super comfortable with his 69 yr old wife going off alone on a hike. He felt more comfortable know I had everything booked and planned ahead. This year he’s going with me for the next leg. I haven’t decided whether we’ll use Follow the Camino or not. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros: Nice hotels, Good mix of inns, farmhouses, urban, rural, etc. Don’t have to think about where you’re staying. Less psychic energy. I was toward the end of the season and many places were closed. Some people I met on the Camino had reserved with an app, but arrived and the hotel was closed. I got to stay at a small place that had been closed for a week, but they told the company they’d take me. I got invited to their end of the season party. Also made me a special meal.
Cons. More expensive. Missed the albergue experience. I missed a couple of places that were booked before the town. I had a couple of days with an extra 5k. That wouldn’t happen to me again because after that I was super focused on finding exactly were the inn was.

I could fix most of the cons on a second trip with the company, except the expense part. My husband likes things planned out. If I were going alone again, I probably wouldn’t use a company. If we do I’m going to put in a rest days! The company had some, I had them take them out. I was hard at the end!
Thank you in advance.
I walked the Camino del Norte from San Sebastián to Llanes last October. I used Follow the Camino. I’m planning to g

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back