• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Currency exchange in Ferrol?

Kenneth Judd

Time of past OR future Camino
None in the past - only the Camino Ingles planned
I'm arriving in Ferrol tomorrow (29 Sep). Can anyone advise where to exchange USD for Euro?

Many thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As @trecile says you are unlikely to find anywhere in Ferrol offering currency exchange. You  might find somewhere at the airport when you arrive but even there it is uncertain these days. If you really must exchange currency notes rather than use an ATM then I suggest you do so in a major city like Madrid rather than hope to find this service in medium-sized towns like Ferrol.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As @trecile says you are unlikely to find anywhere in Ferrol offering currency exchange. You  might find somewhere at the airport when you arrive but even there it is uncertain these days. If you really must exchange currency notes rather than use an ATM then I suggest you do so in a major city like Madrid rather than hope to find this service in medium-sized towns like Ferrol.
And if you are in a major city, many banks will still change fees, often €6 or €7. I use Deutsche Bank in the major Spanish cities (they have far fewer branches in the smaller cities) with no fees. I hold a UK card bot would assume same for USA card holders.

For those in the US who have time before leaving for the Camino I highly recommend opening a no fee, no minimum balance Charles Schwab checking account so that you can use their debit card which refunds all ATM fees worldwide.

Hi @Kenneth Judd. I see from your other posts that you are likely to have already left the USA and will fly to Santander. It is no longer a good idea to exchange cash into euros in the country of arrival. Nowadays, many banks don't hold large cash amounts and you can't even get cash in euro from a cashier, you have to withdraw it from their ATM. And this means that you must have an account with the bank - then they'll take your USD in cash and credit the amount in euro to your account.

Places where you will still be able to do a physical exchange of bank notes if you must or absolutely want to do so: exchange offices at major airports and also the customer service at El Corte Ingles (department store) in major cities where, according to their website, they offer this service in Santander and in Santiago de Compostela. As others have said, in addition to their exchange rate, you may have to pay a fee. Unlikely to be a good deal.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for your help. The Hotel Parador in Ferrol was happy to exchange USD for Euro when I presented my peregrino credential and asked nicely. I'm not staying there but that didn't seem to matter. (I'm at the Hotel Almedra)

For a slightly related comment, my very poor Spanish is a problem but I am very thankful for the patience and kindness from everyone here in Ferrol. I've been walking around town today and will set out on the Camino early tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help. The Hotel Parador in Ferrol was happy to exchange USD for Euro when I presented my peregrino credential and asked nicely. I'm not staying there but that didn't seem to matter. (I'm at the Hotel Almedra)

For a slightly related comment, my very poor Spanish is a problem but I am very thankful for the patience and kindness from everyone here in Ferrol. I've been walking around town today and will set out on the Camino early tomorrow.
Hope you got a good rate!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
KennethJudd,
Now that you are set with euros and plan to start walking tomorrow it seems most appropriate to wish you a wonder-filled camino.
Looking forward to reading your future posts as you move along.

Stay safe, Carpe diem and Buen camino!

KennethJudd,
Now that you are set with euros and plan to start walking tomorrow it seems most appropriate to wish you a wonder-filled camino.
Looking forward to reading your future posts as you move along.

Stay safe, Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Thank you for your kind words. The euros are just a backup for the credit card but I feel better having some for contingencies. I'm enjoying Ferrol very much. It's a beautiful and very interesting city. A late dinner at a sidewalk cafe last night was a real delight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Indeed whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry it is important to have a hidden stash of cash. This might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'. Furthermore keep some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 € bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

As always it helps to be prepared!

And if you are in a major city, many banks will still change fees, often €6 or €7. I use Deutsche Bank in the major Spanish cities (they have far fewer branches in the smaller cities) with no fees. I hold a UK card bot would assume same for USA card holders.
I have a German bank account and it is the same for me. Unless you are a customer of that particular bank, I think the fees apply to everyone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a German bank account and it is the same for me. Unless you are a customer of that particular bank, I think the fees apply to everyone.

Thanks! If I understand you correctly… I am not a costumer of DB or any of their partners but still ‘fee free’ for me.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.