• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current conditions on Napoleans Pass

wendy busch

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's 2012
Camino de Santiago and camino Finesterre 2013
Camino Frances and camino Portuguese 2014
(2016 Camino de Santiago and camino Ingles and Camino Primitivo.)
Can anyone who had JUST CROSSED Napoleon's pass inform me about how much snow is currently there? Is it currently passable ( and open?).

If I'm in the wrong place on the forum with this question, where do I look for a daily report on whether its open each day.I'll cross on the 29th April.

I had a wonderful crossing in 2013 when it was closed the day before my crossing then opened on the day I crossed then closed the day after with " unseasonal snow". So wonderful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Can anyone who had JUST CROSSED Napoleon's pass inform me about how much snow is currently there? Is it currently passable ( and open?).

If I'm in the wrong place on the forum with this question, where do I look for a daily report on whether its open each day.I'll cross on the 29th April.

I had a wonderful crossing in 2013 when it was closed the day before my crossing then opened on the day I crossed then closed the day after with " unseasonal snow". So wonderful.
The website yr.no does a reliable long (and short) term forecast. the snow may very well be clear in two weeks. You're best bet is to ask at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP. They will advise of current conditions as they arise.

It is officially open and pictures from the top show very little snow. But that's from today who knows what will be tomorrow

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our group from Orisson walked through the Napolean on the 14th of April. That was a very difficult day, and several people turned back. Snow was not the issue that day - it was the 100 km wind gusts. If the temperature had dropped or the rain had not held off, it would have been very dangerous. As it turned out, we are now in Pamplona. I now understand why they say that you ask every day......conditions change.

The website yr.no does a reliable long (and short) term forecast. the snow may very well be clear in two weeks. You're best bet is to ask at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP. They will advise of current conditions as they arise.
I went to the web pages you mentioned and couldn't figure out what location to put in for the Nep route. I entered Orisson and nothing came up. Do you know the exact location the enter to get results for the Nep. rount.? Please and thank you!

I figured out all you have to do is enter Pyrenees and the weather forecast for the mts will come up. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I figured out all you have to do is enter Pyrenees and the weather forecast for the mts will come up. Thanks
Ummm. Where in the Pyrenees? 😶
Look at a decent map and you will learn that they go virtually from coast to coast with a huge amount of variation in elevation and precipitation. One size does not fit all.
Try this, it's more specific.

Try this, it's more specific.
I second this suggestion but don't just look at the summary and the row of pretty icons that show sunshine, clouds and lightning.

Pay attention to the predictability bar: green means high predictability, orange means low predictability. That means that the powerful computers that calculate the most likely weather conditions on Tuesday and Wednesday - two and three days from this Sunday - don't yet have been fed data that allow more precision because the various weather systems (lows, highs, etc) are not stable enough. Check again later.

Scroll down where you see more details about what, where, and when, and how likely to happen. Col de Bentarte is on the Route Napoleon at 1314m, one of the highest locations of this trail. Pireneo navarro are the part of the Pyrenees where Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles are.

Weather.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back