• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current conditions on Route Napoleon

soopi25

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013 - July 2013
Hi Everyone,

Last week I wrote a post concerned about the weather in the Pyrenees. I've just received a response from Jean-Jacques at Orisson, he says at this moment the mountain is good to pass (I start tomorrow)!

In the event of bad weather like last week though, they will give a lift down to Valcarlos!

Buen camino to all starting this week!! Perhaps we'll meet along the way :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's great news! I start from SJPP in 16 days! I will stop in Orisson to fully enjoy my first day and meet fellow pilgrims. Buen Camino!

St Jean to Burguete via Route Napoleon on Thursday May 23rd, very mucky in places after Thibault Cross, some snow banks adjacent to trail on Col de Lepoeder but you don't actually have to cross snow, near freezing temperatures on the col. Sturdy footwear with good grip strongly recommended, from Col de Lepoeder I took the small tarmac road down to Ibaneta as the straight route through the trees to Roncesvalles looked extremely slippery after all the recent rain.

Burn camino

Seamus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for that info. We start from St Jean on Wed next 29th and will keep an eye on this thread. Any updates will be appreciated. Seems like gloves and warm hat need to be added to the pack. Buen Camino everyone
Margaret

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Made it to Roncesvalles today through the rain, hail, and snow. It was hard for sure but if you take it slow and have poles it will be fine. I had summer hiking shoes (not waterproof), yoga pants, base layer pants, shirt and light rain jacket and was not cold.

But I should also mention a woman broke her leg after a slip in the beech wood today.

Just take it slow and careful, you will be fine! Well worth the effort, I am happy I've accomplished this hike views or not!!

We have reservations for Orisson on Thursday (30 May). There are five of us walking to Santiago and three of us are EMTs who work with the homeless community. We have absolutely no experience on the Camino but have years and years of experience treating blistered feet, hurt ankles, bum knees and associated Camino-induced conditions (including cold and heat-related conditions). If you see us wandering aimlessly about, point us in the right direction and we'll gladly patch up anything that needs patching. Heck, even if we happen to know where we're going, we'd be very happy to stop and chat and patch. Look for the group with the orange backpacks marked by the International Red Cross symbol. We'll be travelling slowly and joyfully as -- for most of us -- this is our first extended break in over a decade. ¡Buen Camino! -- Emmeline, Tom, Allie, Isabelle and Mina

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Emmeline, Tom, Allie, Isabelle and Mina,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you get good weather to cross "the mountain".
Buen Camino
Colin

Greetings, Caminantes!
After months of being a planner, I am now a doer. Left SJPdP on Tuesday, in the rain, sleet, and hypothermia-inducing wind. Had to walk the Route Valcarlos instead of planned route, Napoleon. Make no mistake, the Valcarlos route is more challenging than you can imagine. No one has anything to apologize for if they had to do the VR because of bad weather conditions.
Kathy 8)

laslomitas said:
We have reservations for Orisson on Thursday (30 May). There are five of us walking to Santiago and three of us are EMTs who work with the homeless community. We have absolutely no experience on the Camino but have years and years of experience treating blistered feet, hurt ankles, bum knees and associated Camino-induced conditions (including cold and heat-related conditions). If you see us wandering aimlessly about, point us in the right direction and we'll gladly patch up anything that needs patching. Heck, even if we happen to know where we're going, we'd be very happy to stop and chat and patch. Look for the group with the orange backpacks marked by the International Red Cross symbol. We'll be travelling slowly and joyfully as -- for most of us -- this is our first extended break in over a decade. ¡Buen Camino! -- Emmeline, Tom, Allie, Isabelle and Mina

Hola my friends,
Via con Dios! We are all thinking about you.
Buen Camino - Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hola emmeline, tom, allie, isabelle y mina

thank you for the offering of the helping hands. i am sure all the present peregrinos walking the camino frances will appreciate this gesture.

que tengan un buen camino y que dios os bendiga.

It is raining in St. Jean at the moment with low clouds, so "the view" will disappear after an hour. It is forecast to be this way for several days. Logrono also forecasts rain, so it is widespread.

France has had the most rain of any year in recent memory according to the locals. It has been paced so that rivers are high but not flooding, and off road paths are quite muddy. Spain has been very similar.

Buy an orange vest and walk roads??!

More rain predicted from Santo Domingo across to Burgos until Friday. I didn't start in St Jean but from the people I have met, they were advised not to take the Napoleons route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked SJPDP - Roncevalles two weeks ago, and it was raining badly.

The downhill part through the forest can be a bit dangerous when it's raining, it's quite steep and slippery, and it is a really torture to your knees. I certainly recommend taking the alternative route when weather is not good.

A poncho is absolutely necessary, I didn't have one and relied on my water-proof jacket and backpack, and I was soaked when I got to Roncevalles.

I walked last week Logroño to Burgos and can attest that it was NOT a walk in the park. Windy, chilly, which most people on the trail were grateful for given the alternative of snow or flooding as was the case in Roncesvalles. We all watched on TV in a bit of a shock the weather conditions at Roncesvalles and some points after. Muddy trails; bring comfortable flip-flops and have them handy. As soon as you get to your lodging you will be asked to take off your hiking shoes. There was a lady who had snow in Roncesvalles and 3 days later developed sunburned arms when walking from Pamplona to Puente La Reina. Go figure. I packed gloves as I left the house for the airport and they were lifesavers. That said, I enjoyed myself and the actual rainfall was not a deterrent at all. I did not see any particular unsafe situation, people were been smart about it by walking slow and minding others.

This harsh weather is taking a toll on the pilgrims and the locals. Everybody is sick of the rain already. It puts a damp (no pun intended) on the joviality and friendliness. People sort of clammed up and focus in staying warm. If you still on time and about to leave for the Camino invest on a good poncho and pack some thermals.

I am starting from SJPDP monday and I much appreciate the ongoing information from people who has just walked the Route Napoleon. I have reservation for Orrison on june 3th and have been looking foreward to this - but is it safe to cross? Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back