• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current Covid precautions on the Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I am vaccinated, boosted, anxious to travel again, and planning to walk the Camino Frances in Sept-October. I'm wondering what kinds of Covid precautions are currently in place, particularly in the albergues, and how pilgrims are protecting themselves. Are pilgrims socializing freely, or holding back out of fear of contagion? And finally, can someone recommend a good site to monitor for data on rates of infection, etc. in Spain?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the CF in January. The only lingering COVID precaution I noted in albergues was the provision of hand sanitizer. There was no mandatory distancing in place and pilgrims mingled freely. More generally face masks were required at the time to enter farmacias and on public transport (including the entire flight home to the UK) but they are no longer necessary on transport. In practice the situation is more or less as it was pre-COVID.

See last offical report and guidances about covid precautions here
I did the Camino last October, and people in streets and albergues seemed to consider covid a thing of the past. Bars and restaurants were full, and nobody used face masks (except in buses and planes, but this is not mandatory anymore).
(Edited: ) As you can see in the guidelines, face masks are still required in specific places (hospitals, pharmacies) and recommended for some people and particular situations.)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can still wear a face mask if you wish and by all means wash your hands often, but there are no actual restrictions at this time. You will be asked to wear a mask in a pharmacy and also clinics. Of course if you do get Covid on the Camino (several of us did last year), you should wear a mask around others as a courtesy and try to find a private room to prevent the spread.

See last offical report and guidances about covid precautions here
I did the Camino last October, and people in streets and albergues seemed to consider covid a thing of the past. Bars and restaurants were full, and nobody used face masks (except in buses and planes, but this is not mandatory anymore).
(Edited: ) As you can see in the guidelines, face masks are still required in specific places (hospitals, pharmacies) and recommended for some people and particular situations.)
thanks for the info and the link!

I am vaccinated, boosted, anxious to travel again, and planning to walk the Camino Frances in Sept-October. I'm wondering what kinds of Covid precautions are currently in place, particularly in the albergues, and how pilgrims are protecting themselves. Are pilgrims socializing freely, or holding back out of fear of contagion? And finally, can someone recommend a good site to monitor for data on rates of infection, etc. in Spain?
Infection rates can be found in the link below.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the way now, no precautions or rules in evidence. Even the "mask in pharmacy" rule seems to be observed sporadically.

We had a representative from the Spanish embassy at our local Camino group meeting last weekend. The question was asked of her. She said (to everyone, microphone in hand) all government restrictions related to Covid have now been lifted in Spain. The last ones, like masks on public transportation and pharmacies, were lifted a few weeks ago. So that's the official Spanish position. That said, I expect some individuals may still be taking precautions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a conversation with my doctor who is also a personal friend of mine for the last 30 years.. He is seeing more cases of myocardidis and periocardidis in his practice in the last 18 months. Since the Camino is quite physical and the fact you are vaxed and boosted it wouldn't be the worst idea to have a full physical before setting off on your Camino.
I recently had one myself including an electrocardiogram and thankfully everything checked out for me 100% which was a relief.
Having a medical episode out on the trail in a foreign country wouldn't be great.
Peace of mind before you set out.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.