• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current Internet Cafes?

Varda

Time of past OR future Camino
The last discussion of Internet cafes was from 2012, so I thought I'd ask recent pilgrims. I don't have a cell phone or other device, but I would like to email my family back home on a semi-regular basis. Now that these devices are more ubiquitous, are there still Internet Cafes to be found along the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Varda!

Almost in every albergue (or which I visited) you can chat with anyone.. Always 1 - 2 computers with internet and it's very cheap for Peregrinos!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

I would like to email my family back home on a semi-regular basis.
Semi-regular probably accurately describes it. Computers are falling into disarray; breakdowns that are not fixed, rising rates, decreasing numbers. Independent contractors used to install computers. WiFi is now ubiquitous, so there is not much money in computers. As a result, albergue-owned computers are almost the only ones left. Locutorios in larger cities have computers. Libraries have computers. An occasional internet cafe is open in large cities. Semi-regular is about it!!;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are computers, sometimes coin-operated , in albergues -not especially fast, so uploading images or keeping up a blog may be a problem.
Also, there are also some internet cafes in cities or touristic places -but not in little villages.
Some fellow walkers told me it was possible to have computers with access to internet in libraries or cultural centers, but I have no first hand knowledge about that.

Last edited:
The last discussion of Internet cafes was from 2012, so I thought I'd ask recent pilgrims. I don't have a cell phone or other device, but I would like to email my family back home on a semi-regular basis. Now that these devices are more ubiquitous, are there still Internet Cafes to be found along the Camino?
Hi, Varda!

Three years ago there were quite a lot of "internet machines" in bars and albergues as I can remember. But they were either occupied all the time or seemed too expensive to me (think it was 1€/15mins in general). I remember only two real Internet cafes that were in Logrono and Leon (haven't find later this year though...).
I would advise you to buy inexpensive smart phone or even rent one while in Spain (maybe with Spanish SIM card - I've bought one from Orange for 5€) because almost every bar along the way has wi-fi. And mostly I wasn't even on CF this year (Sahagun - Ponferrada only)... Otherwise you could be without a connection for days.

Which isn't that bad after all ;)

Ultreia!

I saw a locutorio with a computer in Pamplona last summer, the coin op albergue desktops are few and far between, some private places have a free desktop to use, most of those computers are slow and ancient and I doubt they are secure with the latest up to date software.
I wouldn't look up any secure info on any albergue desktop computer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, everyone! Although I haven't posted much, I read this forum all the time and I'm always impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of folks here.

I walked the CF in May- June 2013 and most albergues that advertised having internet I found that either the computers we not working or the connection was extremely slow. Best to carry your own smart phone as most bars and many private albergues had wifi.

I noticed you don't own a phone or other electronic device, do you even want one? The cheapest alternatives would be using free bibliotheca computers in bigger towns, albergue coin op computers, or calling card and use a payphone when you find one. The next one would be a wifi device such as an iPod touch, a used one bought for cheap, or for you android types, a Samsung Galaxy Player.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I noticed you don't own a phone or other electronic device, do you even want one? The cheapest alternatives would be using free bibliotheca computers in bigger towns, albergue coin op computers, or calling card and use a payphone when you find one. The next one would be a wifi device such as an iPod touch, a used one bought for cheap, or for you android types, a Samsung Galaxy Player.

No, I really don't want to own one of those things, I get along just fine without. All I really need is a place to send an email now and then. My parents were just in eastern Europe and they emailed from internet cafes frequently, so I figured I would go that route, if possible, too. On the other hand, the friend I'm walking with may well bring her phone, so all this may be moot.

No, I really don't want to own one of those things, I get along just fine without. All I really need is a place to send an email now and then. My parents were just in eastern Europe and they emailed from internet cafes frequently, so I figured I would go that route, if possible, too. On the other hand, the friend I'm walking with may well bring her phone, so all this may be moot.

I think you'll be fine, the free biblioteca computers will be your best bet, then the coin op albergue computers.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back