• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current refugio information

Caminamos

Hi all! We are 10 days into our camino, starting in Roncesvalles, and just wanted to pass on some current refugion information, as many more refugios are closed than both our guidebook (Walking the Camino de Santiago by Pili Pala Press) and the list given to us in St Jean Pied de Port suggest.

Zubiri and Larrasoana are both open, though in Larrasoana you must ask at the bar beforehand if you´d like to eat there (delicious Italian home cooking though!)(and it´s the only option of a place to eat). Hyper-clean refugio in Larrasoana.

ALL refugios in Pamplona are CLOSED (this was expected) - there is a hostel Hemingway which was full when we stopped in Pamplona (we ended up splurging on a night in a hostal, which had a very welcome bath - Calle San Nicolas has several affordable hostals (45 euro for a double for example).

BOTH refugios in Cizur Menor are CLOSED. There is a new albergue in Zariequiegui which was open.

Puente La Reina was fine - at least one, maybe two open. As previously reported all albergues in Ciraqui are closed.

Estella was open and very tranquil, though there was a whole lotta Bob Marley going on in the morning!

"La Fuente" and at least one other in Los Arcos were open.

I am fairly sure Viana was also open.

In Logrono, the main and another new one (flyers can be found pinned to trees on the camino) were open. However there were BEDBUGS at the main one in town (only one victim, but she was most unhappy!). The other was spotless and completely empty, compared to an incredibly stuffy room in the cheaper main albergue (it was 10 euro, however, vs 5 euro, but that´s a small price to pay for a bug free night in my opinion - a price we didn´t pay, much to our regret. Generally I would counsel skipping Logrono altogether if you can).

Navarette was open and is rather lovely from reports.

Najera is open.

Azofra is tiny and open and can be had more or less all to yourselves. It´s basic, but if you start to tire of being on the main pilgrim drag, most peaceful, and the townspeople were so welcoming to us.

Santo Domingo de la Calzada is open.

Granon was closed for bedbug fumigation when we passed through. It also only has mattresses on the floor as opposed to beds, and we ended up at a Casa Rural in Granon instead. Lovely but pricey for most pilgrims.

Redecilla del Camino is apparently open.

Belorado has several open albergues.

There is a brand new albergue (at least it appears in no guides we have) in Villambistia, which is currently open. It costs 5 euro and a pilgrim´s menu can be had at the bar below for 9 euro. We chose to continue to Villafranca, but it seemed a decent option. I suspect we would have had the place to ourselves! (There are signs in the village to direct you to the bar-albergue. Beware of dogs, by the way!) (Closed 24th November, by the way, for "descanso").

Espinosa del Camino is CLOSED, despite reports of the opposite.

Villafranca Montes de Oca is open and clean and empty tonight with the exception of two cyclists and we two pilgrims!

San Juan de Ortega is CLOSED.

Ages is open.

Atapuerca is CLOSED. There are no albergues available between Ages and Burgos.

For now that´s all we know. I don´t want to discourage anyone at all from their winter pilgrimage - it has been absolutely GORGEOUS here - the last few mornings foggy but free of rain. In fact - touch wood - we have had barely a drop of rain since St Jean. Our main advice is to phone ahead to the next albergue regardless of what your guide says. When we asked why San Juan was closed, the hospitalera here said, "because it closed." So, take nothing for granted! But who can on the camino anyway?

(Incidentally, regarding bedbugs-chinches, I have been employing Anniesantiago´s method of bug spraying the bed to see what gets stirred up. Thus far no sightings, but even in this late season it seems we have to be vigilant!)

Buen camino to all! Saludos from Villafranca. :D

Shevaun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The advice to phone ahead is particularly excellent in the winter. Generally, the public albergues do not take reservations, but they likely will tell you if they are open! Call during "working" hours, typically from 1500 to about 2100, or no one will answer. Most of the posted numbers are land lines.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This is very useful, thankyou. Do you know if or when the albergues in Pamplona will reopen? I am starting from Roncesvalles in two days and should probably check out the situation in P on the way there. Anyway, good to be warned! Glad to hear the weather has been nice, how warm/cold is it?

Also a question: I don't speak any Spanish, if I call ahead will I be able to speak to someone in English or german? I am fluent in both.

Thanks and burn camino to you!

Update: Zubiri's albergues are closed. Had to walk all the way to Larrasoana today - and the 27 km up and downhill in the rain are now killing me.

Anyone know if Trinadad de Arre outside Pamplona is open? In Roncesvalles the sign only said that the municipal albergue was closed. I'm guessing it was recent. I don't think I can walk any further tomorrow - my muscles have seized up. Otherwise I'll have to find a YHA or something else.

Jo,

Anima!

Keep at it. The muscles aches go away, but shorter days will help, as will a day of rest; Pamplona may be a good place to stop. If your muscles refuse to work, take a taxi or bus (you won't be the first!!).

The pilgrimage will be worth being persistent. At your age, physical recovery will be rapid. Take care of your feet, and prevent blisters if you can. Every pharmacy has Compeed for preventing or treating blisters. Use it.

Ultreya.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, lots of useful information! Well done! I thought April/May walking was cold and rainy enough!!

Few Points:

I've stayed in Hostel Hemingway in Pamplona, you can book beds there online in advance if you know when you will be arriving in Pamplona.
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/sp ... ona/47041/
It was perfectly alright level of accomodation but to be honest only on a par with an albergue and for much more money than pilgrims are used to paying (plus they stung us for various "deposit" charges for keys etc on arrival). The people were nice though and replied to email enquiries in English so if there aren't any albergues in Pamplona and you need a bed for under 30 euros it's ok. The hostel is also not particularly near the camino route so if you have the extra cash a hostal is probably a better idea.

By "tiny" and "basic" I can only guess you are refering to the small albergue in Azofra next to the church and not the lovely big main one. Personally I feel the Municpal albgergue in Azofra with it's delightful 2 bed rooms is a treasure not to be missed en-route! Terrible if it's shut in winter! :(

It's a long way from Ages to Burgos (over a big hill past atapuerca) especially if the weather is bad. I am not one to advocate taking buses but the last 10km or so into industrial Burgos are pretty awful so if folks can't make it there are bus options. I met some pilgrims who took the bus from the airport (which the main route into Burgos goes past) to the centre of Burgos so that is one option.

Buen Camino Brave Winter Pilgrims! :D

Hi Jo, this may not still apply to you, but as far as I am aware there were no plans for the albergues in Pamplona to open until next year. Hostel Hemingway seems to be the only option within the city itself.

To all, please see my new post for updates from Burgos to Astorga! :D

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back