• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current situation on Del Norte - late August 2022

vleadbe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2016)
Hi fellow pilgrims,
Is there anyone currently on the Norte that can advise on how the accommodation is coping? I've just finished the Le Puy route and crossed the Pyrenees. I will be in Pamplona tomorrow and would like to switch to the Norte. I really don't want to get stuck in a bed race situation and if this is the current situation I would probably have to consider other routes. I do have a tent with me though. The first days on the Frances have been crazy busy to me but that's probably because the Le Puy route was so quiet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My partner and I have been on the Norte two days having started in San Sebastián. So far everything has been completely booked including private accommodation and even many hotels. To date we’ve slept in a tent (provided by the private albergue for 4 euros) outside the church in San Martin just before entering Zarautz. Then again after a very hot/humid/long leg from San Martin to Deba we were turned away by the only municipal albergue before on of the volunteers graciously gave us a spare bed in his dormitory that we shared on the floor in the reception. I would advise waiting till later in September if possible, skipping past Bilbao, or doing the Frances. Currently, we’re in Deba considering the later of the two options. Seriously tho, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Peak holiday season along the Norte Coast I presume?

Exactly, it’s death by a thousand cuts. Covid-19’s shut down many albergue’s leaving gaps in already thin network, local/national/continental tourism, and increased pilgrims.

My partner and I have been on the Norte two days having started in San Sebastián. So far everything has been completely booked including private accommodation and even many hotels. To date we’ve slept in a tent (provided by the private albergue for 4 euros) outside the church in San Martin just before entering Zarautz. Then again after a very hot/humid/long leg from San Martin to Deba we were turned away by the only municipal albergue before on of the volunteers graciously gave us a spare bed in his dormitory that we shared on the floor in the reception. I would advise waiting till later in September if possible, skipping past Bilbao, or doing the Frances. Currently, we’re in Deba considering the later of the two options. Seriously tho, I wouldn’t recommend it.
Thanks for this and for being honest. I do have my tent with me but I'm not sure how much that would help. Do you think skipping past Bilbao would make a difference? I'm not a purist I'm happy to skip sections, I've completed the GR65 already so anything else now is a bonus. I could wait it out a week or two but in that case I would just find another quieter route if possible.

Thanks for this and for being honest. I do have my tent with me but I'm not sure how much that would help. Do you think skipping past Bilbao would make a difference? I'm not a purist I'm happy to skip sections, I've completed the GR65 already so anything else now is a bonus. I could wait it out a week or two but in that case I would just find another quieter route if possible.
From what I’ve researched the Camino network is stronger from Bilbao on , but I’ve read mixed reviews about the bed race from that point on. I’d love to hear from others who’ve made it beyond Bilbao and their experiences. One thing to note, most ppl I’ve encountered along the way are ending in Bilbao. If you have a tent I’d consider it doing it, as you won’t get rained on and that part of the Camino has been gorgeous but from what I’ve been told there’s a lot beautiful scenery to had beyond Bilbao as well. .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is possible the blip in the lack of rooms is only temporary due to La Vuelta being run along the coast this week.

I'm on the Norte now restarting yesterday ex Villaviciosa. Stopped there in 2019.

A number of issues:
The Vuelta is in the area until 27th August...
Peak holiday season...
Some Albergues not reopened following Covid...
Lots of pilgrims...

Last night I stayed in donativo La Ferreria just outside Villaviciosa organised via WhatsApp in advance

Tonight in Albergue Peon again via WhatsApp

Tomorrow gijon using bookings....

2 short days to start and then longer 25/30 day stages

Nothing booked for Aviles... 🙈

That's great info thanks, especially that whatsapp is a possibility as I need to use Google translate in Spain. My plan at the moment is to get a bus from Pamplona to Bilbao tomorrow and hopefully have skipped the worst part
I'm on the Norte now restarting yesterday ex Villaviciosa. Stopped there in 2019.

A number of issues:
The Vuelta is in the area until 27th August...
Peak holiday season...
Some Albergues not reopened following Covid...
Lots of pilgrims...

Last night I stayed in donativo La Ferreria just outside Villaviciosa organised via WhatsApp in advance

Tonight in Albergue Peon again via WhatsApp

Tomorrow gijon using bookings....

2 short days to start and then longer 25/30 day stages

Nothing booked for Aviles... 🙈

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi fellow pilgrims,
Is there anyone currently on the Norte that can advise on how the accommodation is coping? I've just finished the Le Puy route and crossed the Pyrenees. I will be in Pamplona tomorrow and would like to switch to the Norte. I really don't want to get stuck in a bed race situation and if this is the current situation I would probably have to consider other routes. I do have a tent with me though. The first days on the Frances have been crazy busy to me but that's probably because the Le Puy route was so quiet.
We are on the Del Norte now. Currently in La Franka and have had to book hotels for the next two nights. Albergue accommodation is tough to get. We are off stage now so hope it will improve. We started in Irun two weeks ago and booked up to Bilbao. We talked to many people who had not booked and slept outside either in churches or on the beach. Many people are tenting.

On saying all that it is totally worth it. It is the most beautiful route. Holidays for Spaniards will finish in early September so things should get easier.

I agree with the above, I'm also on the Norte, in Zarautz. I'm booking private accommodation and even that is hard. But, I'm managing, and hoping it eases up after Bilbao

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with the above, I'm also on the Norte, in Zarautz. I'm booking private accommodation and even that is hard. But, I'm managing, and hoping it eases up after Bilbao
It will be a little quieter after Bilbao. But it will be much quieter after Villaviciosa where many pilgrims will detour to the Camino Primitivo.

Im going from irun 20th September and have already booked my first 6 days of accommodation. It was a total pain making those first 6 days work out im a hostel girl don't have a budget for hotels have a mix of 4 nights hostel and 2 nights casa rural.

Its frustrating as the difficulty with accommodation has tied me to longer stages than i would have liked some days

Hoping its all worth it for the beautiful scenery

Last edited:
Im going from irun 20th September and have already booked my first 6 days of accommodation. It was a total pain making those first 6 days work out im a hostel girl don't have a budget for hotels have a mix of 4 nights hostel and 2 nights casa rural.

Its frustrating cause the difficulty with accommodation has tied me to longer stages than i would have liked some days

Yes me too, I will arrive in Bilbao today and start walking tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm not too bothered about missing stages because I completed the GR65 and I'm happy to go home with that achievement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Its frustrating cause the difficulty with accommodation has tied me to longer stages than i would have liked some days

The CdN is not like the CF or CP, the scenery is great but the distances between point A and B are just as great!

Its frustrating as the difficulty with accommodation has tied me to longer stages than i would have liked some days

It will be worth it! I think you should be OK for Albergues and hostels in late September...

It will be a little quieter after Bilbao. But it will be much quieter after Villaviciosa where many pilgrims will detour to the Camino Primitivo.
I asked Sergio, hospitalerio, in La Ferreria, just before the Primitivo/CDN split, how many pilgrims he reckoned diverted to the Primitivo. He said currently about 20%...

I'll see how busy the Muni in Aviles is tomorrow...

Picture of split attached

Attachments

• 20220824080306_IMG_0325.JPG
    20220824080306_IMG_0325.JPG
    974.4 KB · Views: 37
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I asked Sergio, hospitalerio, in La Ferreria, just before the Primitivo/CDN split, how many pilgrims he reckoned diverted to the Primitivo. He said currently about 20%...

I'll see how busy the Muni in Aviles is tomorrow...

Picture of split attached

Ok, 17.10 in the Municipal in Aviles and at least 12 upper deck bunks available... €9, all good 👍

Ok, 17.10 in the Municipal in Aviles and at least 12 upper deck bunks available... €9, all good 👍
⬆️Plenty of beds, not completo, by 10pm closing time.

Walked through Muros del Nalon today, first donativo albergue on way into town had lots of beds at 3pm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
27 August, la Vuelta passed through Grado, big crowds and today, Sunday, the race is all along the north coast passing through many towns on the CdN. Monday is a rest day and Tuesday thye are racing south out of Alicante.

Last edited:
In Albergue Anden de Noveletta tonight. Plenty of spaces (19.00), €13, spotless, modern, in a converted Railway Station,

€60,-
Good to hear as I'm resuming my 2019 Covid Interruptus walk on the Del Norte in Santander on September 8th. Planning on taking the 30k coastal path to BOO and having my pack transported by Correos for the very first time in what will be seven Camino walks. Hopefully this will be only one time. But at 82, who knows. HW

In Queruas last night (expensive) and Pinera tonight (seriously less expensive).

Both virtually empty..

I was in Guemes and now Santander. Guemes half full and Santander only four people. Both albergues say the crowds have dropped dramatically over the past few days

Yes, Spanish groups and Italians are gone. Individual nationalities around but not, in groups. I imagine weekends may have groups of people from Spain. Weather may also be a factor, I'm not sure. Its only ok on the Norte atm...

God i hope im not walking alone at the end of September

God i hope im not walking alone at the end of September
Nah, it's alright... there's always good company. Have been there in septembers and octobers and it changes from day to day quite drastically, depending on weather, time, locales, holiday, etc. but there was really no day where I didn't meet other pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nah, it's alright... there's always good company.er Have been there in septembers and octobers and it changes from day to day quite drastically, depending on weather, time, locales, holiday, etc. but there was really no day where I didn't meet other pilgrims.
Great thanks for the encouragement. The camino has never let me down in the past but as a solo traveller i always get a bit of pre camino nerves. 🙏 It will all work out. The luxury of freedom and the joy of the unexpected

It will be worth it! I think you should be OK for Albergues and hostels in late September...
Hey just wondering if you stayed in gernika where did you stay? Doesn't seem to be any hostels? Ive booked to stop just before about 7 k before but its kinda messing up my stage into bilbao.
Thanks for all the updates hope the walking is good and your getting some sunshine 😊

Hey just wondering if you stayed in gernika where did you stay? Doesn't seem to be any hostels? Ive booked to stop just before about 7 k before but its kinda messing up my stage into bilbao.
Thanks for all the updates hope the walking is good and your getting some sunshine 😊
I did what you are planning to do... last haul into Bilbao was hard... I have screenshot Gronze and @wisepilgrim guides with Guernica options...

Update, our Albergue in La Caridad last night was full but others in town had space....

In ribadeo tonight, plenty of empty beds in Albergue el Punte...

Staying in a hotel tomorrow 😌

Weather is mixed. Nice today Thursday...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-175950_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-175950_Chrome.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220901-175828_Norte.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-175828_Norte.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 22
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did what you are planning to do... last haul into Bilbao was hard... I have screenshot Gronze and @wisepilgrim guides with Guernica options...

Update, our Albergue in La Caridad last night was full but others in town had space....

In ribadeo tonight, plenty of empty beds in Albergue el Punte...

Staying in a hotel tomorrow 😌

Weather is mixed. Nice today Thursday...

First third of walk out of Ribadeo was lovely... then serious rain... (Friday 2nd).

Staying near Tentempé Peregrino...

First third of walk out of Ribadeo was lovely... then serious rain... (Friday 2nd).

Staying near Tentempé Peregrino...
I am in Santilla tonight, due to two shut albergues the albergue in Boo was full last night but as far as I know no one was turned away, there were tents for them. The albergue in Santilla is large so plenty of space. However Comillas is fully booked for tomorrow night already so pilgrims need to do a long stage or pay for private rooms.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh god we had that last night never heard rain like it good luck

OK, we doged the rain today.

"Generally" underfoot was fine, other than 3/4 places in Asturias where there were shallow muddy stream crossings in places.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.