• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current status on the Olvidado — late May 2021

peregrina2000

Staff member
Rather than hide this in our lovely virtual Olvidado thread, I thought it deserved its own special treatment. In response to a PM question about current conditions, I wrote to both Rosi and Ender/Cuñarro. Short report from Rosi — later this summer should work.

Longer report from Ender — very complicated right now. Here’s a summary of what he told me.

Two people who went recently had problems in the stage after La Magdalena. Resty wanted to charge them 100€ to sleep. So they took a taxi to Fasgar. I am not sure if Rosi opened the albergue for them or if they slept in the casa rural. I’m guessing it was the former. And in the stage from Labañiego, the hostal is closed, so they had to go off-camino to Arlanza. But he too is optimistic that by the end of June things will be getting better. And he will also report back to me after a meeting he has next week with the 25 mayors of towns along the Olvidado. That will probably have a lot more concrete information.

But the news is not all bad. He sent me pictures of a really nice, new albergue in La Magdalena. I’ll have to see if I can figure out how to transfer pictures from Whats App to the forum, because it is pretty amazing. This will move La Magdalena from a room with no shower to a really great albergue.

Albergue in Congosto almost ready to open.

Albergue under construction in Boñar.

As I gnash my teeth and try to decide if I should walk this fall, I wonder — should I go back to the Olvidado???

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, thank you for the update. I think we are going to look at another Primitivo instead.

And he will also report back to me after a meeting he has next week with the 25 mayors of towns along the Olvidado. That will probably have a lot more concrete information.
God bless Ender! I am really looking forward to walking this camino....in 2022 at the earliest. Trying to be patient.
This will move La Magdalena from a room with no shower to a really great albergue.
Woo hoo!

Thank you for this update, Laurie!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
how to transfer pictures from Whats App to the forum

You can install the desktop version of WhatsApp and then link your phone to it. Go to Settings/WhatsApp Desktop

While running the desktop version you click on the image you want. When it opens, there is a download button on the top right to get it onto your PC. Then you can upload it to the forum

Download.jpg

Thanks Laurie - I still dream of the Olvidado, but it will have to remain a dream for me for quite some time I suspect for us in the antipodes! Sadly I clicked on the photo link but was taken to something that I don't have access to. Thanks again - will still dream, and plan, but act ?- who knows when!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, @jl,

Well, by the time you get to the Olvidado, I suspect the albergue system will be very extensive. These mayors have a very energetic group according to Ender and are really putting their money where their mouth is. And Ender has convinced them that a strong albergue system is an essential part of any successful camino. Even if lots of people prefer pensiones or small hotels or the occasional splurge, he has been telling them they need the albergue system as the backbone from which the rest develops. And I think that’s right.

The other good thing about it is that their organization extends along the entire Olvidado — Bilbao to Ponferrada/Cacabelos. This is also really important, IMO.

The link in the earlier post was to take you to another forum thread, where I have posted pictures of the new albergue in La Magdalena.

You shouldn’t have any trouble seeing it, but I’ll just leave it un-embedded below. Click on this and see if it works.

Thanks Laurie - it looks wonderful. Ah - the dreams continue!

Looks really nice, especially for a municipal!

Looking forward to walk the Olvidado, but I guess it will still be there next year.

Buen camino!
Miguel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Aguilar de Campoo the Santa Cecilia has posted hours when it’s open: closed Mondays; Tuesdays thru Sundays 11 - 2, 5-7:45. Starting September 12th, closed for the season.

Ticket to visit is one euro.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In 14b after Coladilla the Camino leaves the road. It’s was AWFUL. So many weeds that I finally went across some fields just beyond Valle to the road. Recommend to stay on the road all the way to Villar.

There are 24 hour ATMs in La Magdalena and Riello.

The new alberque in La Magdalena is actually just across the River into Canales. The whole building is now painted white.

In Riello there are yellow arrows pointing downhill and a metal sign pointing along the main road. Ignore the arrows here.

In stage 20 Bar Losada is closed until at least October. Not sure how much in October.

To get the numbers for the key box, ask Rosi in the first house in Fasgar. No hot water in the alberque. No cell phone connection so no WiFi until almost in Igüeña. Alberque still new. No one else in the last three alberques.

In Pandora the hotel was closed on Sunday. Resty wanted a two night stay. Casa Aguas Frias needed only a one night stay, which included breakfast.

At the Church of Santo Tomás de las Ollas, sign on door says to call house #7. Knocks on the door brings out elderly lady who gladly shows off the church.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back