• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Currently in Portugalete on the Northern Camino.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
A friend has suggested I eventually move across to the Camino Primitivo.
Where would I leave the Norte?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A friend has suggested I eventually move across to the Camino Primitivo.
Where would I leave the Norte?

Hi Stephen, the path splits after Villaviciosa. You get to a village called Casquita, and about 1km after that there is a left hand turnoff for the Primitivo. It is marked, but could be missed if you are not paying attention.
Jill

You can leave the Norte after the town of Villaviciosa. The split is well marked. From there you will head to Pola de Siero and then Oviedo, where the Primitivo begins.

If you are at all a fan of old churches, the pre-romanesque church at the monastery of Valdediós is an easy little detour to take from the route to POla de Siero. Lots of info here on the forum about it. There is even an albergue in Valdediós, lovingly cared for by a new group of 13 nuns who have recently moved into the monastery.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
479PrimitivoSplit2.jpg

The shells are being used as direction markers on this post!
(See another currently running thread.)
Jill

478CasquitaSplit2.jpg

Could be easy to miss the turnoff if not paying attention!
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all. You're been most helpful.

View attachment 34909
The shells are being used as direction markers on this post!
Jill
:eek: It appears there is no fixed rule on how the shells point towards the destinations.
The hinge part of these shells point towards the directions of the destinations based on the next photo. In other pictures, the rays of the shell point towards the destination. Still in other pictures the shells have supporting arrows. o_O

We start our northern route on monday from bilbao and have decided to follow the north coast for as long as we can moving inland from Ribadeo. We think it will be nicer to follow the coast and also there will be less pilgrims on that route although for some unknown reason Baamonde seems to be ominous... It would be great to know what decision you make on this and why. How is it all going so far?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
have decided to follow the north coast for as long as we can moving inland from Ribadeo.

It would be great to know what decision you make on this and why?
The Primitivo is stunning. I think you will find that a great proportion of those you will walk with, and are not affraid of hills, will turn in and abandon the Norte.

We start our northern route on monday from bilbao and have decided to follow the north coast for as long as we can moving inland from Ribadeo. We think it will be nicer to follow the coast and also there will be less pilgrims on that route although for some unknown reason Baamonde seems to be ominous... It would be great to know what decision you make on this and why. How is it all going so far?
I'd initally thought of the Via de la Plata but changed my mind when strongly advised against it in Summer by experienced members of the forum.
The Norte was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. I was looking at Ryanair, decided to buy a ticket, and I was off on another long walk.
It's going very well, so far. The meal last night in the albergue at Santa Cruz de Bezana was particularly memorable. A couple from Valencia volunteered to make a paella and it was delicious. The albergue has lovely people working there and they make everyone feel at home.
Some people avoid the Bilboa to Portugalete stretch. It's not the most attractive part of the Camino, but it is part, so taking a 'warts and all' approach I'd walk it again.
I'm sure I'll be back on the forum as I progress along the trail looking advice.
Buen Camino!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back