• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Currently on Camino Portuguese share and advice?

mralisn

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
Hello friends,

Very happy to have arrived. First a little detail, and then a little question.

Arrived from California to Lisbon, bus (3.50euro) Cathedral Se, Cathedral out of credentials (can go to Chiada location), yet I had one I brought already, got first stamp and then on my way to Alpriate 20km for first night stay. California to Alpriate in one go, whew! A wonderful, small alburgue with friendly host. Two bowls of hot soup around the corner at small cafe and then sleep. Ahh.

Now in Vilafranca at nice hostel, 15euro. I very much like this town.

For those in the know, what do you think of this? While I am used to walking 30km a day, I thought it might be better to break the next two days like this:

Walk Vilafrana to just before Valada, 25.5km. Take train from Reguengo station (seems outside of Valada) back to Vilafranca, 2.60euro. Stay in hostel tomorrow night (Saturday) and then train back to Reguengo station (Sunday morning) to continue walking to Santarem, about 23km. From Santarem, I can make my way to Fatima on Monday and then back to the Portuguese.

While there may be an option to stay in Porto de Muge, I am trying to even out the days, 25.5 tomorrow and 23km Sunday.

As always, thank you for your patience and inspiration.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Simeon, I will be following replies here with great interest as I am planning to start at then end of August. I have sketched in a plan to walk VillaFranca to Azambuja one day and the next leg being to Santarem. 20 and 25 km approximately respectively. Fatima and rest but then I am looking at a 30km day after that to Golega. Maybe too ambitious? I hope you are having some great summer weather!
Hopefully you will get some helpful replies when the northern hemisphere followers come on line with their invaluable experience.

Hi Margaret,

Thank you very much for sharing your plan. Perhaps I have something wrong?

I show Vilafranca to Azambuja as 17.5 km and Azambuja to Santarem as 32.5 km.

Hmm...I do like your numbers better.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, you will be right. You are there; I am sitting in dreary damp Auckland winter dreaming of my Camino! In training I have inadvertently walked a marathon twice by getting carried away with interesting diversions so hopefully I will manage 30+km when needed.

Have just looked at my blog from the CP in 2014. I clocked via GPS distance from
Villafranca to Azambuja 20 km
Azambuja to Morgado (picked up by Mario from Santarem Hostal) 19.25 m
Morgado the Santarem (dropped back by marido the next day) 17 km

So if I read your question correctly (and it is very late here and I have downed a few wines) your reckoning is 48.5 from Vilafranca to Santarem, whereas my GPS told me it was 56.25.

So I stayed in Santorum two nights. It is a very nice city and Mario who runs the superb hostal is a charming guy.

If you want to check out my blog, follow the link below

Bom Caminho!

Thanks Magwood. I have hung on every word of your blog. I have read it several times, indeed I still read it. It was what reassured me that the Portuguese route was real and not just a mis dreamed idea I have carried in my mind for many years even when nobody here knew what I was on about. I will take the coastal route from Porto as beach/coastal walking is very much my thing. 8 weeks to go and then I am off to first walk the Hadrian's Wall Path and then on to Portugal!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Magwood,

Thank you very much for your input. Your numbers are probably more corrected than mine. If so, it makes my decision a little more solid. At 56 km, I will cut in half for today and tomorrow and stay in this hostel for tonight. In all my walks, I had never done this before, so I will find how it works.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

@mralisn ,
I just returned from my first Camino (Portuguese). Most days we walked only 15-20km and always found a place to stay. If you have the time, to take your time, go for it!
Bom Caminho!

Looking forward, don't miss Tomar. It was one of my highlights of the Camino Portuguese for. We stayed at Tomar 2300, a hostile. Fantastic place. You have to go up and go into the castle it's amazing.

A couple other highlights were the university library in Coimbra and visiting a port celler in Gaia/Porto.

North of Porto, staying at Casa Fernanda was fantastic. It's in Luger do Corgo. Fernanda is an absolutely wonderful person. Great home-cooked meal and just a wonderful evening overall.

A last thought about the portion before leaving Portugal for Spain was the ‘mountain’ Alto da Portela Grande. This was a bit brutal, mainly because it was all rock someplaces that definitely involved some scrambling. But we still had fun.

Such an overall serene experience. Enjoy!

Bom Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Simeon! glad you are on your 'way', and I'm looking forward to following along as you go. thanks for sharing!

Bom Caminho, Steve

Hello friends,

The walk turned out to be a little longer than expected, however, I am on the Camino with nothing else important than to walk, reflect, pray, embrace.

Walked from Vilafranca to Valada today. A "newer" route takes walkers off the 6 km highway walk and now nice dirt path to Azumbaja. No services which is ok.

Once in Valada, turned west toward the train station of Reguengo (no where near the town preceeding Valada). This was an extra 4-5 km. Train back to Vilafranca. Will reverse in the morning: Reguengo train station, walk to Valada, then on 20.5 (as posted) to Santarem.

Very comfortable walking 28-32 km a day, especially when no mountains to climb. Perhaps this will keep me creative in where I stay while on the Portuguese. Eh, each day brings something new. It's all good.

What a beautiful day for a waddle!

Simeon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello friends,

Finish my waddle last Monday. What an experience. Would be more than happy to share here or thinking should I start another thread? In short:

Started in Lisbon to Porto.

Took Coastal Route from Porto.

Deviated from Porto and stayed on coast.

Met back up with Interior Route (Central?) and then took Spiritual Route for two days.

Back on Interior Route to SdC.

All kinds of details in between to share if you like.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Congratulations! You started 17 June? You made good time! I would enjoy any details, highlights, lowlights, that you may like to share! Any tricky bits enroute? Any parts difficult to follow? Unexpected discoveries and joys? A new thread, a blog. I am now just 4weeks away from my departure from NZ to begin my adventures. Wet, stormy and chilly here so difficult to remember the heat of summer.
Well done and keep us posted

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back