• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Currently on CF since Pamplona

didi2L

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I have been on camino since Pamplona and are currently in El Acebo de San Miguel. We've had a pleasant experience so far but each stage and each town have varied. Some days we hardly see another soul and other days we will see between 20-25 others. Overall it's been really quiet. There are lots of places that remain closed or sadly out of business. Small towns with few accommodations are tougher to find a bed (2 for us) but larger towns have been a bit easier. We've found that reserving a day ahead has been really helpful and a lot less stressful. We've struggled a bit with finding meals, especially pilgrim menus. Many albergues aren't doing menus and even keep the kitchen access closed. The more public facilities provide only plastic covered mattresses and if lucky a paper sheet. Some have required your own sleeping bag on top of the paper sheet. The more private places have provided sheets and pillows. The level of disinfection has also varied from being overwhelmed with bleach and disinfectants to smelling like stinky boots and sweat. Some places advertise as meeting covid measures but it seems inconsistent.

As for masks, it also varies. Generally most people wear masks in public as well as indoors (except when eating) even so, most people are trying to keep distance from each other as much as possible. Toilets and shower rooms have limited access as well.

The best part of being on camino is that there is almost no talk about covid, pandemic or anything related to what's going on with all of that. Conversations are blissfully and wonderfully about people and our daily experiences and topics of that nature. It feels like being in a bubble and we love it! We've met people from all over Europe, America and Mexico but so many other countries seem absent.

We've had some intensely hot days that we thought we would melt and others, like today, that we nearly froze our buns off. We thought the rocky descent after Pamplona was tough but today we have experienced the truly difficult after descending from the Cruz de Ferro...those rocky gullies are brutal!

**We've been asked by many businesses to pass along that they miss the pilgrims and are longing for their return! Those that are open are really struggling.

Hope these bits help anyone preparing to come on camino soon. 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
didi2L,

Your update is great; it provides exctly the type of info needed now. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy walking down into Molinaseca and Ponferrada tomorrow; do carry enough water however there are very few cafés on that stretch.
Carpe diem and Buen.camino to both of you.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My husband and I have been on camino since Pamplona and are currently in El Acebo de San Miguel. We've had a pleasant experience so far but each stage and each town have varied. Some days we hardly see another soul and other days we will see between 20-25 others. Overall it's been really quiet. There are lots of places that remain closed or sadly out of business. Small towns with few accommodations are tougher to find a bed (2 for us) but larger towns have been a bit easier. We've found that reserving a day ahead has been really helpful and a lot less stressful. We've struggled a bit with finding meals, especially pilgrim menus. Many albergues aren't doing menus and even keep the kitchen access closed. The more public facilities provide only plastic covered mattresses and if lucky a paper sheet. Some have required your own sleeping bag on top of the paper sheet. The more private places have provided sheets and pillows. The level of disinfection has also varied from being overwhelmed with bleach and disinfectants to smelling like stinky boots and sweat. Some places advertise as meeting covid measures but it seems inconsistent.

As for masks, it also varies. Generally most people wear masks in public as well as indoors (except when eating) even so, most people are trying to keep distance from each other as much as possible. Toilets and shower rooms have limited access as well.

The best part of being on camino is that there is almost no talk about covid, pandemic or anything related to what's going on with all of that. Conversations are blissfully and wonderfully about people and our daily experiences and topics of that nature. It feels like being in a bubble and we love it! We've met people from all over Europe, America and Mexico but so many other countries seem absent.

We've had some intensely hot days that we thought we would melt and others, like today, that we nearly froze our buns off. We thought the rocky descent after Pamplona was tough but today we have experienced the truly difficult after descending from the Cruz de Ferro...those rocky gullies are brutal!

**We've been asked by many businesses to pass along that they miss the pilgrims and are longing for their return! Those that are open are really struggling.

Thanks for the detailed update :) Really useful since I am starting from SJPDP on 12 Aug .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Thank you for the update! I will start the Camino from SJPDP in September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Well written and good update. Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
I might be walking out of Pamplona in early October 😊

Here's an update: We left Sarria this morning and wow, what a change in numbers of pilgrims! It was nearly impossible to find a quiet moment on the path or even a seat in the limited places that were open for coffee or food. I waited in line about 10 minutes to order coffee. At times it felt like crowds at the mall and about as noisy.😥 We had prepared ourselves for this based on other threads being shared but it was still overwhelming. This has certainly changed the situation with accommodations. We have had a really difficult time trying to reserve beds anywhere until Santiago. My husband has spent hours with emails, phone calls and even help from previous albergue hosts trying to reserve things for the remainder of our camino.

I know there are other pilgrims coming behind us so I thought this would help you be prepared and make plans once you pass Sarria. Buen camino friends!🙂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi friends currently on CF (1 August 2021). I just had an update from a fellow pilgrim who made it to Palas de Rei tonight. When she arrived at the municipal she was informed they had just been closed down due to a covid outbreak so she is continuing on. Thought this might be helpful to pass along. This is the first news like this we've heard since starting earlier in July.

Can anyone give me the distance on the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Sarria. I just got home and would like to know how far I walked. Thank you!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
586km; 364miles; 316.5 nautical miles; 106 Leagues.

Of course all dependent on which of the several variants available that you actually walked.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances and a pocket calculator should give you a definitive answer.

And congratulations on a happy Camino
Thank you! It was an amazing experience and I will be back next year to finish and then maybe go to St. Jean and start again. I think after climbing the beast in such nasty weather prepared me for the Pyrenees!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back