• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Currently on CP

PeterBarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi Folks
I am currently walking the CP.
I have just completed stage 3.
It is NOT my intentional to give daily updates as I am pretty tired at end of day. However when I see som thing that I think needs to be passed on I will do so. (As yesterday re closure on Sunday's of alburgue at azumbuja)

Today 2 items( maybe 3)
1 as you leave Azumbuja you approach railway station. There isan arrow pointing to the right on the east side, the side you are on, as you have not yet crossed the railway tracks. This point to the main road N3. This is confusing as it should point across the railway tracks tothe west side.
In other words cross the rail track by the bridge a the station and get arrow ffrom there on other side. I followed the A3 for a bit and turned back. I met 3 others later who followed the N3 all the way to Santarem!!!

2. The Santarem hostel referred to in Brierly guide is full for the next 8 days.
I am at the N1 hostel and apartments and suites. Big church on main roundabout. Go to right and straight on rhs. €15 for dorm bed with towels and wifi and brekkie if you need it. Very pleased d. It's not a plug I am just so relieved. Brand new building.

3. Please stock up on water and food from Porte de muga. Long walk with nothing tillSantarem 13 Km. later.
Hope this helps.

Peter B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the updates, we intend to walk from Lisbon next April and appreciate any information.

Thank you, I am sure I would have followed the wrong arrow if you had not stated it so clearly.

Hi Folks
I am currently walking the CP.
I have just completed stage 3.
It is NOT my intentional to give daily updates as I am pretty tired at end of day. However when I see som thing that I think needs to be passed on I will do so. (As yesterday re closure on Sunday's of alburgue at azumbuja)

Today 2 items( maybe 3)
1 as you leave Azumbuja you approach railway station. There isan arrow pointing to the right on the east side, the side you are on, as you have not yet crossed the railway tracks. This point to the main road N3. This is confusing as it should point across the railway tracks tothe west side.
In other words cross the rail track by the bridge a the station and get arrow ffrom there on other side. I followed the A3 for a bit and turned back. I met 3 others later who followed the N3 all the way to Santarem!!!

2. The Santarem hostel referred to in Brierly guide is full for the next 8 days.
I am at the N1 hostel and apartments and suites. Big church on main roundabout. Go to right and straight on rhs. €15 for dorm bed with towels and wifi and brekkie if you need it. Very pleased d. It's not a plug I am just so relieved. Brand new building.

3. Please stock up on water and food from Porte de muga. Long walk with nothing tillSantarem 13 Km. later.
Hope this helps.

Peter B
Thank you so much Peter for the updates - we wil start walking the CP on Aug 16 from Sintra! Very helpfull!

Enjoy! Bom Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Me again

Stage 4 into Golega
2 routes old and new.
Old was flooded so anew one was marked.
However the mayor of golega in his infinite wisdom
Decided to Change this again.
You now actually switch or traverse from one across to the other which adds approx 3km to journey. Little can be done without a detailed map but it is a 34 km stage not 31!
Try telling that to a 74 yo fellow pilgrim walk g alongside!
Great fun.
Albuergue in Golega is cool out.
Signs from just inside the town €10 dorm €15 private em for 2
Elenour is hospitalaro although maybe gone soon.

Happy days

Peter B

Folks, oops
My earlier post rear row on east side of railway Stn pointing right should say left.
Apologies. However the point being ignore it and cross the railway tracks!

Peter B

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tomar to Alva iere. Beautiful stage long day but nice scenery.
Syed in alburgue Panheiros. €10 private room€250 for brekkie.
Really good. Landry downstairs.

Alvazaire to rabacal again a lovely walk. Nice scenery
There are a number of dogs on this route out on the way
Small but determined. Of 3 pilgrims who passed all nada. Problem with the dogs staying at alburgue(only one) in Rabacal.
€15 reasonable. No super market here.
Peter B

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3
Rabacal to Coimbra
Nice walk plenty to see.
No market in Rabacal so no brekkie until Conimbriga.
Cafe there.
Before that in Poco there was a large dog issue.
The further out from Lisbon it seems the more dogs are loose
On the streets.
One resident chastised for challenging his dog running after me saying I was not being fair to his good dog who nearly caused an accident and was not being fair do me.

Alburgue at Santa Clara in coimbra outskirts is. Must.
€8 for bed with sheets and pillow slip.
Opens t 1400 closes at 2200.
Clan and we'll run.

Hope this helps
Peter B

Anadia to Albergaria
On approach to serem de cema be careful to take main
Bridge over the river. That's the big huge bridge. The arrows point down to a smaller bridge now blocked off and broken.
Had a bit of a problem here and very nearly lost my way completely. So large bridge and there is a walkway on it

Hope this helps someone

Peter B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Peter,
How do you deal with the loose dog issues ?
I am interested in your advice as I will be starting this camino around end of august and I'm scared of dogs.
Thanks

Hello Peter,
I am interested in your advice as I will be starting this camino around end of august and I'm scared of dogs.
Thanks
You should buy a 'dog scarer'. They are fantastic, as the animal doesn't like the, unhearable sound to humans, but to them, they just simply run away.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello annakappa,
What is a "dog scarer" ? where do you buy it ?
Thanks

You should buy a 'dog scarer'. They are fantastic, as the animal doesn't like the, unhearable sound to humans, but to them, they just simply run away.

Everything I have read on 'dog scarer's' tells me they don't work. What brand do you use annakappa?

Everything I have read on 'dog scarer's' tells me they don't work. What brand do you use annakappa?
No idea what brand. We bought in Santiago a couple of years ago. I can assure you that it works!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello annakappa,
What is a "dog scarer" ? where do you buy it ?
Thanks
It's a small gadget that you point at the offending dog, press a button and it sends out a sound that we can't hear, but dogs do and they hate it. They simply run away!

I want one, not just for our next Camino in Portugal but for here on Tamborine Mountain. The dogs and their owners make walking here not very pleasant.

I want one, not just for our next Camino in Portugal but for here on Tamborine Mountain. The dogs and their owners make walking here not very pleasant.
That's actually why we bought it! For when we are out walking at home. Plus to scare away one 'pain in the neck' dog, that keeps howling in the middle of the night outside our house. One press of the dog scarer button and he's gone!
First saw one in Portugal, when walking with my brother. We were really impressed - and still are!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We bought the "dogchaser" in a sports (hunting) store near Plaza Galicia in Santiago de Compostela.;)

Peter,
I will be walking the CP leaving from Lisbon on 9/4. This is wonderful information. Thank you and please keep it coming!
Anyone else out there starting on or near 9/4?
I will be arriving in Lisbon 9/4 bu† will be starting my Camino in Tomar on the 7th...we may cross each other?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Peter,
Thanks
I have a plastic whistle from REI, which should scare off other undesirable folks as well- and the trekking poles may help you shoo some away.

Hello Peter,
Thanks
I have walking sticks which I place directly in front of me.
I don't swing them or nothing threatening and then move forward. If this do s not work I pick up a ston ( large) and scream to high heaven at the dog. And walk fast right thru them.
If the owner emerges I threaten them with police.
Only to do all of the above once.

Hope this helps
Peterb

Hi folks
Am now in Ponte de Lima a beautiful town.
A lovely approach under a natural canopy of overhanging trees.
Alburgue is out the other side of town across the old footbridge.
A lovely walk today.
Since Porto I have got a number of blisters.
I don't kally get them. The Roma roads or cobblestones are not easy to walk on.
Just on the way out of rates opposite the alburgue I bought a set of gel insesmfor €5. The are helping but have changed the shape of my shoe. ( never happy). But I don't think I could have died be today ( Barcelos to ponte de Lima ) without them.
They are a necessity.
No real issues strew days. Just pay attention as many of thearrows are hidden by overgrowth from trees and bushes.

Take care
PeterB

Hi again
Now in pontevedra.
Nothing of any significance to report as such.

The cobble stones have stopped, thank god.
Also I did not change my alarm time havincrossed into Spain.
This meant that I was walking I the dark for over an hour out of TUI. There are confusing white arrows which are difficult to Dermine from yellow in darkness.
So now I get up an hour later.
The stages are less than 30 kms now so it makes little difference to finish time.

3 days to Santiago getting almost giddy!
PeterB

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.