• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Currently Walking VDLP - Daily Updates

John192

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP
Hi all,

I am currently walking the VDLP, and will be updating this post daily with info on how the route is looking and more importantly, what is open.

Day 0: Seville

Almost all amenities are open

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

The day started early around 6am and I arrived in Guillena with no bother at all just before 10am. Almost all local amenities are open.

The Albergue Luz del Camino is open, and on the front door there is a phone number to call the owner who arrived within 5 minutes. They sprayed my shoes, put them in a bag, and put my backpack in a bag on arrival. They also offered hand sanitiser. Only the bottom bunks are available, effectively halving the capacity. I am the only person here tonight so availability wasn’t an issue.

Day 2:

Guillena to Castiblanco de los Arroyos

Another early start but a slightly shorter & cooler day.

Arrived in Castiblanco around 10am to find that the local Albergue is closed ‘indefinitely’. However, the local hotel has re-opened and is offering board for 30 euros per night/per person. Even if you are travelling alone. Other amenities, are generally few and far between but most seem to be open none the less.

Day 3:

I decided to enjoy a pool day today, so no update but will be back on it tomorrow!

Day 4:

Castilblanco to Almeda de la Plata;

It was a long one (30km from Castilblanco to Alameda de la Plata) and an early 5am start. The first half was on the road, and the second through Sierra Norte Natural Park, which is really beautiful.

The local albergue was closed, however the really nice Hotel el Romeral was open, and it was 40 euro for the nights stay. All other amenities were open.

Day 5:

Almeda de la Plata to El Real de la Jara;

This is one really long leg split in two, and was supposed to be 12.7km. However, bad signage made it a really tough 21km, so be aware of this.

El Jara is a small town, with a ruin nearby and most amenities are open outwith siesta hours. There are 2 albergues here, both currently closed. The Hostal la Encina is open however, for €25 per person per night in a private room with ensuite. This hotel is in a business park on the edge of town fyi & i think it’s worth mentioning that I asked politely and got to do my washing for free which was a great bonus!

Day6:

El Real de la Jara to Monesterio 21km

A straight forward day that started around 6am and took just under 4 hours. No albergues open here yet, but 3 or 4 hotels taking guests starting at around €25 per person.

Day 7:

Monesterio to Fuente de Cantos 21km

Another relatively straight forward day. Similarly to the rest of the towns, and what I will be expecting until mid-July now, the albergues were closed. Hotels however start from around €30 per head, which seems to be the going rate.

Day 7:

Fuente de Cantos to Zafra 25km

Today’s walk was straight forward, however due to a pretty nasty blister/hole in my foot that I developed a couple of days ago was really tough. Also, there was some pretty overgrown pathways to contend with at times.

This foot issue may put a spanner in the works for a few days, which is extremely frustrating. Either way, i’ll keep you all posted.

Although I was previously advised that the Van Gogh Albergue was open, it was closed when I arrived, and I confirmed this with the owner who I called. Several different hotel options here to suit all budgets, and all of the many amenities are open.
TBC

if anyone has any questions feel free to get in touch.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

I am currently walking the VDLP, and will be updating this post daily with info on how the route is looking and more importantly, what is open.

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

The day started early around 6am and I arrived in Guillena with no bother at all just before 10am. Almost all local amenities are open.

The Albergue Luz del Camino is open, and on the front door there is a phone number to call the owner who arrived within 5 minutes. They sprayed my shoes, put them in a bag, and put my backpack in a bag on arrival. They also offered hand sanitiser. Only the bottom bunks are available, effectively halving the capacity. I am the only person here tonight so availability wasn’t an issue.

TBC

Fantastic that you can start walking so soon. I wish you well and I will follow your updates here. Did you come from abroad, and if so, how were procedures at the airport?

/BP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic that you can start walking so soon. I wish you well and I will follow your updates here. Did you come from abroad, and if so, how were procedures at the airport?

/BP

hey,

yeah i came from the uk, it was all very straight forward. You have to wear a mask on the flight for the duration, and they check your temp on arrival and that’s about it really.
There was some chat about a form, but no one gave me one to fill out and everyone was completely fine with this as if it was normal and gave me no hassle.

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

TBC

Buen Camino! I’ll be reading your updates with interest as hoping to walk this route next year if possible...

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

TBC

THANK YOU. Buen Camino! I’ll be reading your updates with interest as I intend to do the VdlP (once more) next year dut to it being a Holy year, and the CF will most likely be packed (again).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

Arrived in Castiblanco around 10am to find that the local Albergue is closed ‘indefinitely’. However, the local hotel has re-opened and is offering board for 30 euros per night/per person. Even if you are travelling alone. Other amenities, are generally few and far between but most seem to be open none the less.

TBC

Hi John,
Have walked the VDLP twice and am very envious but happy you are setting off.
I look forward to reading your updates.
The VDLP is my favourite after 12 Camino's.
I am sure you will enjoy it.
Unfortunately for us in Australia, I think it will be next year before we are allowed to travel.
Buen Camino

Well done John, glad to hear the route is open I am planning to walk this route October with will watch your postings. Keep well and enjoy the walk .Charles

Well done John thanks for sharing your Camino
We are still not allowed to travel from South Africa - so really do appreciate you sharing your journey.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Just a couple of questions John.
1)What are you doing for masks? I am following 3 Blogs of various people on different Caminos, they have to wear masks in any area they go through which has people living in it, have you brought a stock of them?
2) I know it could change this weekend but the 2 week self quarantine on coming back to the UK which still stands, how does that affect you? Obviously if you are a retiree or something then it would not be a major obstacle.
It must be very hot for you at the moment, my friend on the Levante is now just after Medina del Campo and is saying it has been intense. Have a safe journey and
Buen Camino

I'll be following your daily updates with interest John. I and my sister are hoping to commence our journey late September/early October. Thanks in advance for all the information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

TBC

Thank you for the update. Buen camino

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

TBC

Thank you for posting and Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

TBC

Great John. I plan 10 days on the VDLP early October this year as a warm up to 5/6 weeks from a May next year. I’ll follow your posts with interest - kept ‘em coming.

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

TBC

Thanks, John. I’m really interested to follow your progress. I should be on the CF now and am so looking forward to being there when possible. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola John! Thanks so much for doing this each day. I, too, am hoping to walk the VdlP next Spring so am keenly interested in your Camino. Go well for us all still stuck at home.
stay cool 😎
Ultreia et Suseia, Peregrino!
Shona

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am too, very happy to read your post!
I am pretty sure that as soon as the country opened up, they need us, pilgrims, or tourist of any form.
So thank you for being one of the pioneers, who start walking.

I walked VDP in 2011, and it is nice to be reminded of my own trip.

Also, we planned the Norte from 1st of August, and after several weeks/months of worries, that we wouldn't be able to go there, we start hoping, that we won't have to change our plans. (Also, from the UK.) And it is nice to see what we can expect, once there. Good old Spain, and the many Caminos..... <3

So thank you, again, and buen camino!

For info: all albergues of the Zamora Association (VdLP, Sanabrés and VdlP Portugués) remain closed. Also the albergue in Granja de la Moruela. We hope to open mid-July, I will post to this thread as soon as we have a date. I read in local paper that the Zamora municipal will open July 1st, but cannot confirm. Look forward to meeting you at Albergue Castrotarafe, Fontanillas de Castro, between Montamarta and Granja de La Moruela. Passers-by welcome, the kettle is on.

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

Day 3:

I decided to enjoy a pool day today, so no update but will be back on it tomorrow!

TBC

Like the rest I am very happy for you and your venture.
You must realize that you will be not only be walking for yourself, but for many pilgrims that are frustratingly planning a Camino that, most likely, has no set departure date. That said, we will be waiting for your missives to arrive like manna from heaven. In other words, if some day your pack is a little heavier than usual it will be, most likely, a collection of psychic dreams from around the Caminoverse that has attached themselves to your efforts.

Also, lots of water combined with early starts and the humility to stop and have short days, will greatly increase your odds of happy and healthy 'vertical' time as oppose to the other option of sun staring from the horizontal.

Prayers and cheers be with you.

Peace be with you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I walked that way in ‘18 there was a water tap near the rangers office, on the wall near the trough, marked with a rough painted shell. Wonder is it still there?

Please keep posting. It will be nice to get a hands on lay of the land.

Looking forward to a potential October Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

Day 3:

TBC

Thank you I am most interested in what you find. I cancelled April 20th and thought I would try next April, but your report may encourage a start in September this year. You are a pioneer!

That's fantastic, @John192 !
I wish I had been stuck in Europe when the lock down occurred, instead of being at the Antipodes in Australia. I too would be walking now...
I'll be following your footsteps with great interest, as I have been walking a virtual VdlP on this forum.
Buen Camino!

Hi @John192 - thanks for doing this. I'll be following with much interest.

Are there many people around?? And are the various hotels/hostals happily taking walk-in guests?

Safe travels, buen camino ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good to see other pilgrims out there. I am starting the Portuguese Coastal on Friday.

Did the VdLP last year and is my fave to date. Good luck and hope it doesn't get too hot.

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

It was a long one (30km from Castilblanco to Alameda de la Plata) and an early 5am start. The first half was on the road, and the second through Sierra Norte Natural Park, which is really beautiful.

The local albergue was closed, however the really nice Hotel el Romeral was open, and it was 40 euro for the nights stay. All other amenities were open.

Day 5:

This is one really long leg split in two, and was supposed to be 12.7km. However, bad signage made it a really tough 21km, so be aware of this.

El Jara is a small town, with a ruin nearby and most amenities are open outwith siesta hours. There are 2 albergues here, both currently closed. The Hostal la Encina is open however, for €25 per person per night in a private room with ensuite. This hotel is in a business park on the edge of town fyi & i think it’s worth mentioning that I asked politely and got to do my washing for free which was a great bonus!

Day6:

A straight forward day that started around 6am and took just under 4 hours. No albergues open here yet, but 3 or 4 hotels taking guests starting at around €25 per person.

TBC

Hi John
Thanks for sharing! I am getting ready to start in a week or 2. Could you please share the temps?
This will be my 5th after CP coastal, CF, CdN, CP inland; should I expect anything important different??
Much appreciated!
Karl

Hi all,

Day 1:

Seville to Guillena;

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Day6:

TBC

Hi John,
I too am following your journey with great interest.
I am still dreaming of an October start but seems unlikely coming from Australia so hopefully next year .
Thanks for sharing and buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi John
Thanks for sharing! I am getting ready to start in a week or 2. Could you please share the temps?
This will be my 5th after CP coastal, CF, CdN, CP inland; should I expect anything important different??
Much appreciated!
Karl

Hi Karl,

temps in Andalucia and Extremedura are around16-20 celsius until around 10am, then things hot up pretty quickly and are usually near 30 celsius by mid-day. I have aimed to be finished my walking by around 10am, 11am latest every day.

Other than that, not a great deal different to be expected. At the moment a lot of albergues are still closed, with many not opening until September so just be prepared for hotel stays and for it being extremely quiet.

Good to see other pilgrims out there. I am starting the Portuguese Coastal on Friday.

Did the VdLP last year and is my fave to date. Good luck and hope it doesn't get too hot.

I had considered switching to this to make it more sociable, and get out of the burning heat. Would be good to hear how it goes!

Hi @John192 - thanks for doing this. I'll be following with much interest.

Are there many people around?? And are the various hotels/hostals happily taking walk-in guests?

Safe travels, buen camino ...

hey,

I am the only international pilgrim I have came across, and crossed paths very briefly with 2 Spanish folk out walking, although I am not 100% sure that they were doing the full thing or just day trippers.

Hotels are happy see you rock up, yeah!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank-you for posting all this info. It's very much appreciated. I'm hoping to do the VDLP at some point and am interested in what's open etc. Are most bars open? What kind of reaction are you getting from the locals? In Canada in some provinces outsiders are not welcome and are been told such.

Thank-you for posting all this info. It's very much appreciated. I'm hoping to do the VDLP at some point and am interested in what's open etc. Are most bars open? What kind of reaction are you getting from the locals? In Canada in some provinces outsiders are not welcome and are been told such.

yeah most bars are open, and i’ve had no ill feeling felt toward my being here at all.

Hi Karl,

temps in Andalucia and Extremedura are around16-20 celsius until around 10am, then things hot up pretty quickly and are usually near 30 celsius by mid-day. I have aimed to be finished my walking by around 10am, 11am latest every day.

Other than that, not a great deal different to be expected. At the moment a lot of albergues are still closed, with many not opening until September so just be prepared for hotel stays and for it being extremely quiet.

Hi John
Thank you for the info, any problems with getting supplies? Grocery stores are open?
I walked last year from Lisabon , detour via Fatima and had a few 35 Celsius days, which was borderline doable
so anything below is fine with me.
Good luck amigo, stay healthy!
Karl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Karl,

Hope you're doing well ...another quick question, do you know where to get a pilgrims pass in Sevilla ??

Hi John. Can you confirm if you are still walking or have given up for any reason. Hoping you are well and not in any bother.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back