• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cutting down the packing list

Roselyn

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, 2016, starting August 28
Hi, Pelegrinos!
I leave tomorrow, and I need to shave 2lbs off my pack. All these things aren't even in there! I don't need them, right?
- swim suit
- nail clippers
-2nd tupe of sunscreen ( I have one.)
-bug repellent (do I need it?)
-head lamp
-pads (Ladies, I'll have my period once on the Camino. Should I bring pads from home or buy?)
-toilet paper
-Q tips
-rope
-pocket knife
- one tupperwear (to put my meal of oats & chia into; I'm celiac.)
Do I need clothes pins, do you think? Thank you!!!

Here is my complete packing (packed list):
Camp gear & tech

dry bag

waterproof cover for your pack

Phone or tablet

adapter & charger

waterproof bag for phone & Passports, in w toiletries

whistle

a hiking pack that rests ON YOUR HIPS, so the weight isn't all on your back. NOT to be packed it more full than 10-20 lbs TOPS. Goal: 10% my body weight.

Rain gear that breathes: rain jacket, pants

Clothing

sunglasses - wear

6 clothes line pins, not safety pins

sandals, super-uber comfy for when feet are sore; flipflops for the shower
sun hat

SOCKS: packed 1 pair & wear 1 SMART WOOL

2 (out of 3) pair of POLYCLOTH LINER - for under socks; wash & dry overnight.

hiking shoes ½ size bigger than my usual: all light and breathable and waterproof

Sleeping

Mouth guard

sleeping bag*light cotton

compact, water-resistant bag for the sleeping bag

ear plugs (in belly pack)

sleeping mask (in with the sleeping bag)

Clothing

3 Merino T-shirt (1 long, 1 half, 1 short slv)
1 pair of shorts (quickdry; dropped down fr 2)

1 pair of pants (quickdry, for churches)

thermals

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
-bug repellant, leave at home
-toilet paper. Keep, take cardboard out
-a swim suit (I doubt it, right?) leave at home
-pads (Ladies? I'll probably have my period at the end. Should I pack them from now?) buy later
-Q tips leave at home
-nail clippers, leave at home
- one tupperwear (I'm celiac, so food is a thing to think about.). Not sure about this
-head lamp, phone app should be all you need this time of year
-clothes pins, take safety pins instead

My 2 cents
Buen camino

Also you won't need thermals and take two total pants and two total tops.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
you can leave out the swimsuit, pads (can buy along the way) bug repellant, q tips, even replace clothes pins with safety pins if you like. You can leave the head lamp and just use your phone for a light if needed, though a headlamp is handy if you start out walking in the dark on really hot days. Nail clippers are important but you could probably just buy one in a couple of weeks along the way. You can leave one of the shirts and shorts if it helps. Places to do your laundry is available almost everywhere
You can buy just about anything along the way if you find you need it. I had a tiny toothpaste and picked up another tiny toothpaste when I ran out rather than carrying a full size one. Same with toilet paper, instead of a roll of tp, just pack one small travel pack of tissues and a baggie for emergencies.

You seem to have cut it down near the bare minimum...you could potentially lose the half-sleeve shirt and make due with 2, but that wouldn't cut much weight.

I would be curious what the gear is finally weighing in at after all the cutting and how much was saved.

Grace+Peace

-Jason

@Roselyn
You need something for warmth, depending on how long you will be out and where you are walking. I would say the minimum would be one short sleeve merino shirt and one long sleeve and your jacket, to layer. I would hesitate to leave out your thermals with the lack of other warm garments.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cut
- swim suit
-Q tips
-rope
-pocket knife
- one tupperwear (to put my meal of oats & chia into; I'm celiac.) Use a ziploc
Do I need clothes pins, do you think? Thank you!!
whistle
sandals, super-uber comfy for when feet are sore; If your shoes dont fit get another pair
2 (out of 3) pair of POLYCLOTH LINER - for under socks; wash & dry overnight. These stink after one day and have no real function
thermals

I dunno
-pads (Ladies, I'll have my period once on the Camino. Should I bring pads from home or buy?) Bring at least one

Keep
- nail clippers
-head lamp
-toilet paper - (some places have none) Bring a ziploc for carrying stuff you use outside.
dry bag
Phone or tablet
adapter & charger

a hiking pack that rests ON YOUR HIPS, so the weight isn't all on your back. NOT to be packed it more full than 10-20 lbs TOPS. Goal: 10% my body weight. The only way weight is transferred to hips is if the pack has a frame.
Clothing
sunglasses - wear
flipflops for the shower Consider getting plastic shower clogs and wear them around the albergue too.
sun hat
SOCKS: packed 1 pair & wear 1 SMART WOOL Bring another pair
hiking shoes ½ size bigger than my usual: all light and breathable and waterproof
Sleeping
Mouth guard
compact, water-resistant bag for the sleeping bag If its only water resistant ... line it with a garbage bag.
Clothing

3 Merino T-shirt (1 long, 1 half, 1 short slv) Rethink this... I like long sleeve cotton or nylon. You roll the sleeves ... there is a collar to protect your neck ... they dry much faster than wool ... costs less too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave behind all the bits you are already thinking of leaving.

As for clothes pins, bring the safety pins, not the clip ike pins you would use at home. Safety pins work for 95% of your clothes and you will always find a few regular pins for the items you don't want to poke.

Rain gear: you need something to cover your bag, all of it, kncluding straps. Ome of those bag covers will not cover the straps. Then you leave the dry bag at home and will always have a dry bag.

Feminine hygene: bring the stuff you like to use. While you will find stuff on the Camino, some of it will be like the stuff your mother used to use. The Camino is not the time to travel back in time when it comes to this type of necessities.

Add another pair of socks, in case onegets wet, you need to change during the day, and againfor the evening, or next day and the other 2 pairs are still wet.

What is the polycloth liner?

A bit last minute for the sleeping bag, but cotton is not your friend. Plus at this time of the year you will get more use of a liner, with a super light blacket or quilt in case the weather goes funny: lots of rain, which means being chilly at the end of the day, etc.

What are you bringing in your toilettery kit and first aid kit? Take enough 1st aid to carry you at least two days: blister care is paramount and can make or break your camino. Also consider an anti chaffing ointment,

Also consider adding a light fleece for coldish mornings.

Foot wear: try to combine flipflops with your uber sufer soft and comfy evening shoes. Crocs do the job beautifully as do EVA Birkies.

Best of luck.

Hi, Pelegrinos!
I leave tomorrow, and I need to shave 2lbs off my pack. All these things aren't even in there! I don't need them, right?
- swim suit
- nail clippers
-head lamp
-pads (Ladies, I'll have my period once on the Camino. Should I bring pads from home or buy?)
-toilet paper
-Q tips
-rope
-pocket knife

Camp gear & tech

dry bag

Phone or tablet

adapter & charger

whistle

a hiking pack that rests ON YOUR HIPS, so the weight isn't all on your back. NOT to be packed it more full than 10-20 lbs TOPS. Goal: 10% my body weight.

Clothing

sunglasses - wear

sun hat

Sleeping

Mouth guard

Clothing

thermals
This is a very light list of stuff. Unless your toiletries and rain gear are really heavy, it doesn't seem like it would weigh much. I agree with all the packing savings that people are suggesting. You may need something warm like one person said, but you can always drape your sleeping bag over your shoulders like a coat - that is what I did so I didn't have to bring a jacket. Also, I found the rain gear very warm if I needed something warm. I hope you are using light weight rain gear. I used Frogg Toggs ultra lite rain suit that only weighs 10.4 ounces. But good job on your packing list!

Hi, Pelegrinos!
- swim suit
- nail clippers
-head lamp
-toilet paper
-Q tips
-rope
-pocket knife

Camp gear & tech

dry bag

Phone or tablet

adapter & charger

whistle

Clothing

sunglasses - wear

sun hat

Sleeping

Mouth guard

Clothing

thermals

I'm also leaving soon, and shaving weight and choosing what to take in my kit for various BIG trips has become a 'hobby' which over the years has entertained me and my friends....however I'd like to relate a story that is always in my mind when packing. My other hobby is climbing Volcanos and in recent years I've focused on remote Islands in the South Pacific... in 2010 this meant 6 weeks in the Vanuatu chain of Islands. We hired locals as guides and as usual carefully planned our kit (which includes gas masks) clothing and other kit was all technical grade we felt confident we'd thought of everything....we arrived on the Island of Ambae to be met by a young local guy (22) wearing shorts (out of respect for us) one flip flop (just 2/3rds of it) and carrying a machete ... this was his kit. The story of climbing Ambae is for another day and place (it took 15 hours up an overnight in the forest and 11 hours down), but I recall feeling at times like I was trekking in wet curtains whilst our guide looked cool and free.... I'm not sure easyjet allows Machetes in the hold... does anyone know?

This is an issue for me as well. I will be traveling from SJPP and onwards for the first 14 days of October. My question is: Should I bring a North Face Hyvent jacket for rain and wind or just a light weight rain jacket (have both). The difference is 350 gram. I have a down west and a really base layer and midlayer merino sweaters as well, so will I miss the Hyvent on not rainy days?

This is an issue for me as well. I will be traveling from SJPP and onwards for the first 14 days of October. My question is: Should I bring a North Face Hyvent jacket for rain and wind or just a light weight rain jacket (have both). The difference is 350 gram. I have a down west and a really base layer and midlayer merino sweaters as well, so will I miss the Hyvent on not rainy days?
The question I always ask myself is 'Why am I trying to avoid getting wet?' If it's cold then fair enough I'm trying to maintain body temperature but when it's warm I strip down to basic thin clothing and I get wet... I've found its easier to walk like this than with flappy heavy wet weather gear...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Pelegrinos!
- swim suit
- nail clippers
-head lamp
-toilet paper
-Q tips
-rope
-pocket knife
Camp gear & tech
dry bag
Phone or tablet
adapter & charger
whistle
Clothing
sunglasses - wear
sun hat
Sleeping
Mouth guard
Clothing

Fascinating list as a man where to start? Swimsuit/naiclippers (start trimmed and borrow)/bring a sample of sunscreen/bring a very small hand held light/bring two pads(buy as needed)/bring a small packet of moist wipes (no TP)/light weight drybags/phone not tablet/learn to whistle/rain jacket not pants/no clothes pins/flip flops or sandals not both which ever are lighter/bring 3 pair of socks/get a synthetic sleeping bag 40+(not cotton)/2 t-shirts/1 long sleeve shirt/just ideas as to lightening.......Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA

The question I always ask myself is 'Why am I trying to avoid getting wet?' If it's cold then fair enough I'm trying to maintain body temperature but when it's warm I strip down to basic thin clothing and I get wet... I've found its easier to walk like this than with flappy heavy wet weather gear...
Bonita
2 reasons to take the heavier rain gear if it breaths. It can get very cold @ the higher elevations, especially when it rains.
I used my fleece & rain coat to stay warm after walking all day continually for weeks. Even in 30c weather I got cold until I found food at the end of the day. Good breathable rain gear that is the best.

Bonita
2 reasons to take the heavier rain gear if it breaths. It can get very cold @ the higher elevations, especially when it rains.
I used my fleece & rain coat to stay warm after walking all day continually for weeks. Even in 30c weather I got cold until I found food at the end of the day. Good breathable rain gear that is the best.
Could not agree more. There's a big difference between getting caught in a shower and then walking under a beautiful hot sun than walking hour after hour, day after day in the rain, under the clouds, with clothes that do not have time to dry at night at the albergue because of the humidity. Plus your body is tired walking the Camino vs a stroll on a weekend, and will get beaten down if on top of having to walk so much it was to work to keep you warm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm also leaving soon, and shaving weight and choosing what to take in my kit for various BIG trips has become a 'hobby' which over the years has entertained me and my friends....however I'd like to relate a story that is always in my mind when packing. My other hobby is climbing Volcanos and in recent years I've focused on remote Islands in the South Pacific... in 2010 this meant 6 weeks in the Vanuatu chain of Islands. We hired locals as guides and as usual carefully planned our kit (which includes gas masks) clothing and other kit was all technical grade we felt confident we'd thought of everything....we arrived on the Island of Ambae to be met by a young local guy (22) wearing shorts (out of respect for us) one flip flop (just 2/3rds of it) and carrying a machete ... this was his kit. The story of climbing Ambae is for another day and place (it took 15 hours up an overnight in the forest and 11 hours down), but I recall feeling at times like I was trekking in wet curtains whilst our guide looked cool and free.... I'm not sure easyjet allows Machetes in the hold... does anyone know?
:cool: I would think a machete in the hold would be fine, just a big knife.. Yet it would depend on what countries you are planning to fly to, with your big knife... For some reason they let me fly with any big gun inside the U.S. In the hold but yet I can't cross into Canada even with pepper spray for Grizzlies.
You may simply get put on a list because you want to take your machete for a walk in Spain...:)

:cool: I would think a machete in the hold would be fine, just a big knife.. Yet it would depend on what countries you are planning to fly to, with your big knife... For some reason they let me fly with any big gun inside the U.S. In the hold but yet I can't cross into Canada even with pepper spray for Grizzlies.
You may simply get put on a list because you want to take your machete for a walk in Spain...:)
@MTtoCamino
The next time you come to Canada, you can borrow my bear spray. It is also widely available anywhere in bear country. Have you considered that the regulations forbidding bear spray may have more to do with the possibility of setting off something so unpleasant in the hold or passenger area of an airplane? I would certainly not want myself or my luggage sprayed with it, and I believe there are regulations about carrying any spray which is under pressure in an airplane.
P.S.: I am currently wondering whether I shall be able to get my first aid scissors through airport security. They have rounded ends and are below the maximum blade length, but rules may vary elsewhere, in which case, I shall just buy more when I can.

@MTtoCamino
The next time you come to Canada, you can borrow my bear spray. It is also widely available anywhere in bear country. Have you considered that the regulations forbidding bear spray may have more to do with the possibility of setting off something so unpleasant in the hold or passenger area of an airplane? I would certainly not want myself or my luggage sprayed with it, and I believe there are regulations about carrying any spray which is under pressure in an airplane.
No I was not on an airplane just crossing over into Canada on foot on the Continental Divide trail. They asked if I had any weapons I said no then they told me I had to give up my bear spray. I had the same issue coming back into the US had to give up my fruit...:rolleyes: :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No I was not on an airplane just crossing over into Canada on foot on the Continental Divide trail. They asked if I had any weapons I said no then they told me I had to give up my bear spray. I had the same issue coming back into the US had to give up my fruit...:rolleyes: :)
@MTtoCamino
I can only assume that you didn't meet any bears on the Canadian side of the border after you had given up your bear spray. But then, I have met a number of grizzly bears since I started carrying bear spray years ago, but I have never had to use it.

@MTtoCamino
I can only assume that you didn't meet any bears on the Canadian side of the border after you had given up your bear spray. But then, I have met a number of grizzly bears since I started carrying bear spray years ago, but I have never had to use it.
So you talk to them as well? My last encounter was 10 feet away he just looked at me like I was a dumb ass but he showed no signs of aggression just moving down the trail. Dinah was behind me or so I thought, but when turning to speak to her she was gone. I caught back up to her a mile back. :) I have never had a problem. Love watching them. We probably shouldn't use this forum to discuss our shared region, except on conversation.

Do add to your list a small pocket knife, one with a can opener, a bottle opener, a small blade, and if you like wine, a corkscrew. Not a dude thing but often a necessity which weighs nothing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do add to your list a small pocket knife, one with a can opener, a bottle opener, a small blade, and if you like wine, a corkscrew. Not a dude thing but often a necessity which weighs nothing.

A small pocket knife with a can opener, bottle opener, small blade, and corkscrew add up to a knife that weighs a lot more than nothing, particularly when you consider the use that you will get out of said tools. You don't need it.

I met a fellow who, while walking, was carving small branches from a tree for the purpose of making a walking stick. Of course he nearly sliced off his thumb. Fortunately there was a hospital nearby. A slow learner, after that incident he pulled the knife out and was cleaning the dried blood from it and came within a centimeter of slamming his head into a metal pole used for lighting. I am of the opinion that most people cannot be trusted with sharp objects and shouldn't be carrying them on the camino.

I use sunscreen with a mosquito repellent incorporated into it, it's called 'Repel' and made by the Cancer Research Council. My understanding is that there are very few biting insects but just one bite can cause me huge grief so I don't ever risk it wherever I go in the world. The way I decide what to prioritise with packing is to promote items that relieve any disconfort and demote items that are simply nice to have. So painkillers and knee supporter are high but shampoo is low, sunscreen and hat are high but contact lens liquids are low ....and so forth.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use sunscreen with a mosquito repellent incorporated into it, it's called 'Repel' and made by the Cancer Research Council. My understanding is that there are very few biting insects but just one bite can cause me huge grief so I don't ever risk it wherever I go in the world. The way I decide what to prioritise with packing is to promote items that relieve any disconfort and demote items that are simply nice to have. So painkillers and knee supporter are high but shampoo is low, sunscreen and hat are high but contact lens liquids are low ....and so forth.
We all have our individual needs, be happy to stay healthy & walk until you decide where to stop. Have a very nice walk!
Buen Camino
Keith

A small pocket knife with a can opener, bottle opener, small blade, and corkscrew add up to a knife that weighs a lot more than nothing, particularly when you consider the use that you will get out of said tools. You don't need it.

I met a fellow who, while walking, was carving small branches from a tree for the purpose of making a walking stick. Of course he nearly sliced off his thumb. Fortunately there was a hospital nearby. A slow learner, after that incident he pulled the knife out and was cleaning the dried blood from it and came within a centimeter of slamming his head into a metal pole used for lighting. I am of the opinion that most people cannot be trusted with sharp objects and shouldn't be carrying them on the camino.
Allow me to protest. My custom every day on the Camino is to stop for a lunch picnic. A chunk of cheese, some sausage or chorizo,or maybe tuna or sardines, tomato or cuke, a baguette, a half bottle of wine, and a piece of fruit. Now it is true, one may go about this commando/cannibal style and chomp down on the sausage, bite into the cheese, hope there is a ring top can of tuna, tear the bread, take on the tomato apple style and try to be happy with rotgut twist-top wine but I don't.
Numerous times I have rescued forlorn pilgrims who in the rush to leave the albergue at 0530 have tied such a knot in their boots that in the evening they cannot remove them.
I cannot abide dull or serated knives, preparing dinner in an albergue kitchen can be a nightmare, for me, if there is not a decent knive in the larder-and there usually isn't, and should I splurge on a chop or a steak for my dinner a butter knife won't do.
Carried in a belt "holster" it weighs nothing and is in constant use. "Be Prepared" said Baden-Powell, so true.

Allow me to protest. My custom every day on the Camino is to stop for a lunch picnic. A chunk of cheese, some sausage or chorizo,or maybe tuna or sardines, tomato or cuke, a baguette, a half bottle of wine, and a piece of fruit. Now it is true, one may go about this commando/cannibal style and chomp down on the sausage, bite into the cheese, hope there is a ring top can of tuna, tear the bread, take on the tomato apple style and try to be happy with rotgut twist-top wine but I don't.
Numerous times I have rescued forlorn pilgrims who in the rush to leave the albergue at 0530 have tied such a knot in their boots that in the evening they cannot remove them.
I cannot abide dull or serated knives, preparing dinner in an albergue kitchen can be a nightmare, for me, if there is not a decent knive in the larder-and there usually isn't, and should I splurge on a chop or a steak for my dinner a butter knife won't do.
Carried in a belt "holster" it weighs nothing and is in constant use. "Be Prepared" said Baden-Powell, so true.

My custom was to buy chorizo or cheese `slices`. I found they were often sold in 'single sandwich' quantities for a euro. Later, when the weather got cooler and wetter, I went to a cafe and bought a hot bocadilla. Bread tastes better torn apart 'commando style'. The exception being those stale loaves suited only for carpentry.

I wouldn't carry a tin can no matter what ambrosia lies within it.

I ate menu Peregrino. It usually came with a bottle opened by the matero. So no wine at lunch ... sun not below the yardarm etc ... to keep the consumption within reasonable limits.

You found dull or serated knives in the albergue? I could only wish for such luxury. One morning I was reduced to boiling hot water for tea using a wine glass in a microwave. I ate menu Peregrino instead of preparing dinner.

If people can't tie knots perhaps they should carry their own sharp objects (or perhaps not). While I'm sure this happens every so often its not likely to be 'numerous' times. I'd consider whetting one of those dull kitchen knives on a rock. If they plan to leave at 0530 perhaps they'd prefer to sleep with boots on (as you can see there is not much sympathy here);)

But to each their own ... if carrying a multifaceted tool lightens your heart then fill your (properly laced) boots.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My custom was to buy chorizo or cheese `slices`. I found they were often sold in 'single sandwich' quantities for a euro. Later, when the weather got cooler and wetter, I went to a cafe and bought a hot bocadilla. Bread tastes better torn apart 'commando style'. The exception being those stale loaves suited only for carpentry.

I wouldn't carry a tin can no matter what ambrosia lies within it.

I ate menu Peregrino. It usually came with a bottle opened by the matero. So no wine at lunch ... sun not below the yardarm etc ... to keep the consumption within reasonable limits.

You found dull or serated knives in the albergue? I could only wish for such luxury. One morning I was reduced to boiling hot water for tea using a wine glass in a microwave. I ate menu Peregrino instead of preparing dinner.

If people can't tie knots perhaps they should carry their own sharp objects (or perhaps not). While I'm sure this happens every so often its not likely to be 'numerous' times. I'd consider whetting one of those dull kitchen knives on a rock. If they plan to leave at 0530 perhaps they'd prefer to sleep with boots on (as you can see there is not much sympathy here);)

But to each their own ... if carrying a multifaceted tool lightens your heart then fill your (properly laced) boots.
My 'must have' tool is an interdental micro brush nothing else will do - sticks twigs pins nothing, it's my one luxury on BIG walking trips, although I did take eyelash curling tongs along for the Great Wall of China but that was a joke!

Last edited:
I'm with Scruffy. I carry a little Opinel (checked at airports, buried deep in my pack on Eurostar), kept at razor sharp. The only time I suffered in consequence was when I found myself chopping a media-kilo of Garlic at the parrochial Albergue Santiago in Logrono as my contribution to that evenings Sopa de Ajo. :confused:

But then I was taught by a nine-fingered scout-master to respect nasty-sharp-pointy things :p

Last edited:
Allow me to protest. My custom every day on the Camino is to stop for a lunch picnic. A chunk of cheese, some sausage or chorizo,or maybe tuna or sardines, tomato or cuke, a baguette, a half bottle of wine, and a piece of fruit.
Indeed. Me too. One nice place for lunch is at St. Anton before Castrojeriz: An old stonewall by the river is a perfect chair/table.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mmmm I have all gear laid out :cool: ...
I am going to leave out sunscreen etc for flight as I know I can get it before I walk ....
I am leaving out sleeping bag because for the sake of sleep I am staying in private accommodation .... I was going to take sheet in case I changed my mind about staying alone but have decided not to .
This is my week for culling .... I can see it will take some self discipline ! :D

Anne

Lord Robert Baden Powell might have said be prepared, but in his day all wines were 'corked'. Today some of the best wines are screw tops. Thank heavens!

I am going down to Spain tomorrow, but arriving on Thursday in Madrid (sleepover in Oslo), it took me 20 mins. to fill my backpack to 6.2 kgs, plus jacket on 800 grams, giving me a total of 7 kgs for the hot days. But I know that throughout sept. it will be colder at least in the mornings, so I will need my fleece sweater and my jacket on, reducing my pack to ca. 6 kgs.

So many pilgrims pack too much; Spain is a country where you can buy all you need while on the road. Actually, my very best walking socks I buy in Castrojeriz.

Tomorrow, all the fun starts again. CU on the Way! :)

Packing list:

Backpack:

1st aid kit (also for assisting other pilgrims; I normally don't need it).
Superlight towel
Sleeping bag
Poncho
Toilet map (toothbrush, paste, nailcutter, comb, some medicine)
2 underwear
2 pairs of socks, + luxury: 1 pair of wollen sock for cold afternoons
2 underwear
2 T-shirts
Clogs lightweight for afternoons/bathroom
2 Extra trousers
Swimming trousers for albergues En El Camino, Quatro Cantones, Finissterre ++ (Luxury)
Camino guides, maps, text prints for crucial etappas.
Multi-tool for opening bottles of wine/soda, etc.
Plastic cup for drinking (Weighs "nothing") but looks like a crystal chalice: I will look like el rey del camino...:)

Total weight: 6.3 kgs. incl. the backpack itself.

Waist belt:

Passport
Credencial
Plastic cards
Bank ID chip
Some charging cables

Total weight: 0.5 kgs.

On body:

Normal walking clothes for daily use.
Phone

I do not care much about weight, but it's not much.

Could not agree more. There's a big difference between getting caught in a shower and then walking under a beautiful hot sun than walking hour after hour, day after day in the rain, under the clouds, with clothes that do not have time to dry at night at the albergue because of the humidity. Plus your body is tired walking the Camino vs a stroll on a weekend, and will get beaten down if on top of having to walk so much it was to work to keep you warm.
essential always to keep off wind and stay dry.. take care of your feet!

I am going down to Spain tomorrow, but arriving on Thursday in Madrid (sleepover in Oslo), it took me 20 mins. to fill my backpack to 6.2 kgs, plus jacket on 800 grams, giving me a total of 7 kgs for the hot days. But I know that throughout sept. it will be colder at least in the mornings, so I will need my fleece sweater and my jacket on, reducing my pack to ca. 6 kgs.

So many pilgrims pack too much; Spain is a country where you can buy all you need while on the road. Actually, my very best walking socks I buy in Castrojeriz.

Tomorrow, all the fun starts again. CU on the Way! :)
well hola alexwalker, this made me laugh, the 20 min packing time.. but... tell me, if you are going shopping along the Camino, ... is that why you start out light so you can add along the way? LOL

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lord Robert Baden Powell might have said be prepared, but in his day all wines were 'corked'. Today some of the best wines are screw tops. Thank heavens!
sure.. but I bring my swiss army knife just in case..

definitely NOT a dude thing, I have a swiss army knife and if I try my pack with it in there or not, I cn't tell the difference.. I sure will know it if I leave it behind!

I am heading to St. Jean on September 14 and am hoping to get to Santiago by October 15 or 16. I am pretty well-prepared but I have two packing/supplies questions. These are both climate-related.

I am wondering if I will need a light (1Kg) sleeping bag or if a sheet and fleece liner will be enough. The latter combination will let me cut about 500g from my total. I do want to sleep well.

Second, I am wondering whether my best rain gear solution is the Altus poncho or a very good, breathable rain jacket will do the trick almost as well. I will be spending three or four days in Paris before flying home and the poncho would not be the best there. I am also carrying a fleece jacket.

Thanks for your ideas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't count on screw tops in Spain. They are mostly corked.

Confession time ;-) I stopped to take a pocket knife with me some years back (I am happy to break the bread and bite the cheese/chorizo) but I always take a corkscrew! Buen Camino, SY

As you know not all oats are created equal so my suggestion is STAY WAY from oats yes even the ones that says "gluten free"

Zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

nearly choked on my soup laughing.
One nice young linguist in survival school cut his hand putting up his shelter first day. went to instructor camp for sutures. Tripped and hit his head coming back, back down to instructor camp. By end of second day had lost knife (probably a good thing) and compass, and developed trench foot; return to instructor camp. Day three, lost replacement compass, map, and one snowshoe; went to instructor camp for foot recheck, left socks behind....instructor showed up at our campfire, tied socks around the young man's neck, and said if he found one more bit of his stuff in the woods he would make him eat whatever it was.

Great tip here. We are leaving in 6 days, starting our Camino from SJPP April 15. My pack is 3.5 lbs heavier than I want it. Question: What do you clean your shoes with daily? I have this (which doubles as a shoe horn...just realized that after 25 years of owing the thing) and realize it is absurd to bring it, but I do wonder... what do you clean your shoes with? Especially the bottoms! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4008-130/Suede-Nubuck-Brush

Great tip here. We are leaving in 6 days, starting our Camino from SJPP April 15. My pack is 3.5 lbs heavier than I want it. Question: What do you clean your shoes with daily? I have this (which doubles as a shoe horn...just realized that after 25 years of owing the thing) and realize it is absurd to bring it, but I do wonder... what do you clean your shoes with? Especially the bottoms! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4008-130/Suede-Nubuck-Brush
I don't clean my shoes/boots. I walk off the big stuff and as for cleanliness??? They will never look new again. That's why most albergues want you to leave your shoes in an area outside of the living area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't clean my shoes/boots. I walk off the big stuff and as for cleanliness??? They will never look new again. That's why most albergues want you to leave your shoes in an area outside of the living area.
I think that I attempted to keep my shoes clean for about a day.

The boots are always dirty. That's why they make you take them off in almost every albergue and store them. The brush is a couple of ounces you can safely dispense with!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.