• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cyber Cafes along the Camino

Nephelokokkygia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April-May 2017)
Good day everybody!

I'm going to be starting my first Camino from SJPP in mid-April next year and since I'm not the owner of a smartphone was wondering if anybody who has been along it recently has seen cyber cafes I can use to contact my family as they've asked me to keep them updated with where I am. The last time I was in Spain (also the last time I was able to go outside the country) I actually lived in Santiago for a while and there were plenty of cyber cafes there - but that was seven years ago. If anybody knows where there are any good ones they could recommend I'd appreciate it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can't say I recall seeing any Cyber Cafes. Bit of a 'thing of the past' perhaps? I think a few Albergues might have an old PC hooked up in the Lobby. I remember seeing a couple. But I'm sure other members will have more detailed information. If you needed access to email quickly, I'm sure other Pilgrims would lend you their phone....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cybercafes have mostly disappeared. There is one in Burgos, Leon and Santiago. There may be a few others. Even the computers in albergues have fallen into disrepair or been removed, so are a bit rare. Libraries still have computers if you can match your free time to their open hours. You will find them in larger towns and the cities.

Yes, "cybers" are mostly a thing of the past.
Another option, besides the already mentioned, are "locutorios" (call shops). They provide on-site intl phone service, and currently it is cheaper by Internet, with skype or similar. So, they provide internet connection, also. They are favored especially by migrant workers.
See a list here They are placed usually near railway or bus stations.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Internet cafes are few and far between on the Camino. I ditto the advice to get an inexpensive tablet (and also recommend a neoprene zippered case for it). They don't weigh much and way, way easier to have that than to have to search around every town you are in for a place to log onto the net. It would pay for itself.

Thanks for the advice guys!

While I do appreciate that having a tablet or something like that might be useful, I already have a digital camera (old-school!) and was thinking more along the lines of finding somewhere to maybe upload some pictures to send to my family etc. Will definitely keep that all in mind though :)

You could use your cheap tablet to take a few photos specifically for sending to family and keep the good photos for the slideshow when you return.
You can get a fire tablet on amazon for $49.00 and email once every couple of days with a few photos whenever you find wifi.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2013 and 2014 I walked parts of the Camino and relied on finding a computer to access the internet. A few bars hard them, but not always working, plus each one was different! My best bet was a public library in the late afternoon. I realized that most pilgrims carried a smart phone, and so I bought one for my 2015 and 2016 walks. This changed my life! Blogging was easier; ditto taking photos (and the photos magically appeared on my computer back home for the family to see if they could be bothered! It's really light to carry and holds Kindle e-books too.

I resisted obtaining a smart phone until September 2015, after my third Camino. It was very useful on my fourth Camino the following spring.

The one device, an Apple iPhone 6S, replaced an "old school" flip phone, a digital camera, and a 3rd Generation iPod Touch, with requisite chargers and cables. The iPod Touch did nearly everything except make phone calls. It gave me Wi-Fi access where it was available. Each version of the iPhone comes with a better digital camera. My Canon pocket digital camera took 14 megapixel photos. The iPhone takes 12 megapixel photos and has many more features than the Canon digicam.

On a total weight carried basis, even with the Apple "piggyback" battery that gives me two full days of GPS and data use on a Camino, the iPhone weighs less (together with Euro charger and cord) than the three devices previously used. THAT makes it a wise investment.

So, unless you are a "professional" photographer taking "money shots" along a Camino, a smart phone should be more than adequate to your needs. But, for God's sake please leave the selfie stick at home... IMHO, that is one gadget too far.

A similar paradigm exists for small tablet / reader devices. While most have Wi-Fi capability and a web browser, you must be someplace with Wi-Fi internet for this to work. Between those points, the tablet is largely dead weight, unless you can find a guide book that works for you.

I actually preferred the small, old school flip-phone for voice and text use. And I used one for years, including on my first three Caminos. However, I am a convert and glad I made the shift. The contemporary smart phones are essentially information and communication "Swiss Army Knives." They have far more uses than you can likely employ on Camino.

Did I mention the built in flashlight and alarm clock, GPS, route finding, a whole library of reference books, online language translation, language dictionaries, language lessons on mp3 in the music library, and the entire world of information and knowledge at your fingertips?

The challenge is having too much information to sort through. You must also remember when to turn off messages and voice capability so the outside world does not disturb you constantly.

My favorite use for my iPhone is to make advance reservations, or change reservations using eMail and Google or Bing Translate. This helps me make my own way along a Camino. Google Translate also helps hugely when trying to find something in a shop or farmacia.

Finally, I live in the US and have t-Mobile as my service provider. My plan is called a "Simple Choice" plan. I have a 5 Gb monthly data limit and only very rarely exceed that limit. However, t-Mobile "rolls over" unused data for each month and puts it in a "Data Stash" to be used after you exceed your monthly limit in any given month. I just rolled into my Data Stash for the first time in 15 months. I had 20 Gb "banked." This was because I was using my iPhone as a "personal hotspot" to provide Wi-Fi to a notebook computer over Bluetooth. This is a very nice feature to have.

Also, t-Mobile permits me to use my data allotment in 140 countries around the world, including all of Europe. This means my Wi-Fi, data use, and text messaging is unlimited and free (subject to monthly data plan), with no roaming charges. This includes all of the Caminos in Spain and France. In fact, my signal strength was consistently BETTER across Spain, even on the Meseta, than it ever is here at home.

Finally, t-Mobile charges 20 USD cents per minute for any phone call placed anywhere (local or international) while abroad. I only used this VERY sparingly, and then because I have elder care issues with a parent back here in the States. Still, the charges after a month in Spain and Belgium were less than the cost of a Spanish SIM card.

BTW, when you are someplace with decent Wi-Fi signal strength, and you have "allow Wi-Fi calls from this phone" turned on in Settings\Phone, your international calls are FREE on t-Mobile. I just checked my monthly bill after nearly a month in Spain and Belgium this past November and December. While I did have nearly 25 USD in toll charges, all at 20 USD cents per minute, this was cheap considering the issues and need to communicate when and where I choose or need to.

I also made several LONG Face Time calls both video and audio over W-Fi, or using my data, again for free. One was placed to me while I was driving a rental car across Spain, from Madrid.

These devices are very useful. In an urgent situation, they can be a life-saver.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I resisted obtaining a smart phone until September 2015, after my third Camino. It was very useful on my fourth Camino the following spring.

The one device, an Apple iPhone 6S, replaced an "old school" flip phone, a digital camera, and a 3rd Generation iPod Touch, with requisite chargers and cables. The iPod Touch did nearly everything except make phone calls. It gave me Wi-Fi access where it was available. Each version of the iPhone comes with a better digital camera. My Canon pocket digital camera took 14 megapixel photos. The iPhone takes 12 megapixel photos and has many more features than the Canon digicam.

On a total weight carried basis, even with the Apple "piggyback" battery that gives me two full days of GPS and data use on a Camino, the iPhone weighs less (together with Euro charger and cord) than the three devices previously used. THAT makes it a wise investment.

So, unless you are a "professional" photographer taking "money shots" along a Camino, a smart phone should be more than adequate to your needs. But, for God's sake please leave the selfie stick at home... IMHO, that is one gadget too far.

A similar paradigm exists for small tablet / reader devices. While most have Wi-Fi capability and a web browser, you must be someplace with Wi-Fi internet for this to work. Between those points, the tablet is largely dead weight, unless you can find a guide book that works for you.

I actually preferred the small, old school flip-phone for voice and text use. And I used one for years, including on my first three Caminos. However, I am a convert and glad I made the shift. The contemporary smart phones are essentially information and communication "Swiss Army Knives." They have far more uses than you can likely employ on Camino.

Did I mention the built in flashlight and alarm clock, GPS, route finding, a whole library of reference books, online language translation, language dictionaries, language lessons on mp3 in the music library, and the entire world of information and knowledge at your fingertips?

The challenge is having too much information to sort through. You must also remember when to turn off messages and voice capability so the outside world does not disturb you constantly.

My favorite use for my iPhone is to make advance reservations, or change reservations using eMail and Google or Bing Translate. This helps me make my own way along a Camino. Google Translate also helps hugely when trying to find something in a shop or farmacia.

Finally, I live in the US and have t-Mobile as my service provider. My plan is called a "Simple Choice" plan. I have a 5 Gb monthly data limit and only very rarely exceed that limit. However, t-Mobile "rolls over" unused data for each month and puts it in a "Data Stash" to be used after you exceed your monthly limit in any given month. I just rolled into my Data Stash for the first time in 15 months. I had 20 Gb "banked." This was because I was using my iPhone as a "personal hotspot" to provide Wi-Fi to a notebook computer over Bluetooth. This is a very nice feature to have.

Also, t-Mobile permits me to use my data allotment in 140 countries around the world, including all of Europe. This means my Wi-Fi, data use, and text messaging is unlimited and free (subject to monthly data plan), with no roaming charges. This includes all of the Caminos in Spain and France. In fact, my signal strength was consistently BETTER across Spain, even on the Meseta, than it ever is here at home.

Finally, t-Mobile charges 20 USD cents per minute for any phone call placed anywhere (local or international) while abroad. I only used this VERY sparingly, and then because I have elder care issues with a parent back here in the States. Still, the charges after a month in Spain and Belgium were less than the cost of a Spanish SIM card.

BTW, when you are someplace with decent Wi-Fi signal strength, and you have "allow Wi-Fi calls from this phone" turned on in Settings\Phone, your international calls are FREE on t-Mobile. I just checked my monthly bill after nearly a month in Spain and Belgium this past November and December. While I did have nearly 25 USD in toll charges, all at 20 USD cents per minute, this was cheap considering the issues and need to communicate when and where I choose or need to.

I also made several LONG Face Time calls both video and audio over W-Fi, or using my data, again for free. One was placed to me while I was drive a rental car across Spain, from Madrid.

These devices are very useful. In an urgent situation, they can be a life-saver.

I hope this helps.
I also have T-mobile and love being able to use data and gps most anywhere in the world I am. However, rather than paying 20¢ a minute for calls through T-mobile, I pay only 2¢ a minute and make calls to landlines via the Viber app. Actually, those Viber calls are basically free, because I buy Viber credits using Google credits that I earn through Google Opinion Rewards by filling out 15 second surveys.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When my wife and I walked the CDF in September - October 2016 we found free wifi available at almost every cafe and hostel. We did buy our own euro sims and data plans but many walkers just used the free wifi. We skype talked to our kids and my mum, kept up with news back home, used the GPS sometimes in towns.
Spanish SIMS and access were cheaper than French SIMS and access, we used Orange for both, and they are totally different companies, cannot recharge a French Orange SIM in a Spanish Orange shop.
Take a modern smart phone - it does all you need from an Internet cafe plus plays music and takes photos. and they are light! Some are waterproof. Good to align with your companions to reduce chargers and electricity converters.
Plus I suggest that you subscribe to one of the commercial VPN services, I used NordVPN, so that you can safely do internet banking etc

I also resisted carrying an iPhone for years, but lately have been taking it. Not only does it take great photos, but internet is available pretty much everywhere along the Camino now, and internet cafes are a thing of the past, in most places, as has been said. Some albergues still have computers available for use, and you can have your photos put on disc in larger cities, but I'd think the best thing to do would be to take a phone or tablet and send photos home on your own.

Ditto with most of the above comments. I would just add that usually the PCs in albergues (or locutorios) are expensive at approx.1€ per 15minutes-1hour. If you walk Frances in 35 days and use them once per day that makes enough money to buy decent second-hand smart phone for wi-fi use.
Anyway I too resisted to buy my first smart phone until 2014 and all I can say it was the best investment especially for less-walked Caminos. Using it for booking ahead and GPS mostly. With prepaid Spanish Orange SIM card. And if you come from EU there will be no more roaming charges from this June/July (???).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good day everybody!

I'm going to be starting my first Camino from SJPP in mid-April next year and since I'm not the owner of a smartphone was wondering if anybody who has been along it recently has seen cyber cafes I can use to contact my family as they've asked me to keep them updated with where I am. The last time I was in Spain (also the last time I was able to go outside the country) I actually lived in Santiago for a while and there were plenty of cyber cafes there - but that was seven years ago. If anybody knows where there are any good ones they could recommend I'd appreciate it!

You should consider a cheap smart phone or tablet and use it for wifi. Would keep your family happy if they could keep in contact with you. All the best for your camino.
David

I rode the camino Frances route this past September on my bicycle

I only recall seeing one cybercafe along the entire route

They seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird with the advent of smartphones and the fact that most cafes and albergues have wi-fi

I like the idea of picking up a phone with a sim card that you can use in Spain. I recall that the airport in Barcelona had a kiosk where they sold these. I'm sure there will be more.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back