• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle-Camino Route Through UK...

hecate105

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
I am just back from creating a cycling route along the Michael Mary Pilgrimage Way.
The whole route goes from the tip of Cornwall across England, through such interesting/historic/sacred places as St Michael's Mount, Brentor, Glastonbury, Avebury, Beacon Hill and Bury St Edmunds, as well as countless small country churches and Holy Wells and standing stones...ending at the ruined church of St Margarets at Hopton-On-Sea in Norfolk.
On this section we started at Glastonbury and went all the way to Hopton. It takes you through delightful countryside on bridleways, ancient tracks like the Ridgeway and Icknield Way, and small country lanes, with only occasional forays into towns/cities when necessary. I will endeavour to write it up and add it to my website https://pilgrimagecycle.wordpress.com/ soon. I would be more than happy if anyone would like to 'test out' the route and give me feedback. The first section from Carn les Boel to near Truro is already on there - and at least one intrepid pilgrim has tried it!
Let me know what you think...!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a wonderful trip and a great idea. I would love to do more long distance hikes in UK but the fact remains that it is just too expensive. When a single room costs around £50 B&B plus the daily costs of food its far less expensive to fly to Spain!

Hear, hear!! Mike... Even campsites are few and far between - i found about 6 en route, so we wild-camped most of the time. But that does not suit everyone (it only suits me financially!)
BUT the British Pilgrimage Trust is urging (with some sucess!) churches to open up churches and halls etc along pilgrimage routes for pilgrims, which would be free or cheap... I spoke to several church people on my route and suggested the idea which was taken well by most. So many churches are locked and forlorn - or opened by keen locals who worry where the cash to maintain it is coming from.... I pointed out that opening churches to the wider community (as had happened in may places) art shows, cafes, creches, museums - and pilgrim accommodation! is a way forward. Rural churches in the main are not going to survive on congregations donations - especially when so many do not have regular services... But - so many do have superb architecture, interesting history and SPACE! It just needs a leap of faith perhaps ;)
Also I hope when i have written up the route sufficiently well - to email as many places along the route to see if they will offer pilgrim discounts or cheap alternative accommodation - a mattress and a loo are the bare essentials - and need not cost much, whilst still being a draw to a different type of visitor.... it works in Spain, why should it not work in the uk...? AirBnB is another strand worth looking at, as well as the excellent website WarmShowers the reciprocal free accommodation for cyclists...I would urge people along the route to join...!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would love to see more options for over night stops in UK. However, I live very close to the south downs way and even that is poorly served! Then if you look at places like the much hyped coastal path around Wales then it would seem they did not even think about it. Moreover, the Cornish/Devon coast path is similarly poorly served - if you look at the web site and click to see camp site options some of them offered are more than 10km off of the path! Clearly written by someone who has not walked 30 plus kms in a day!!

Yes, i agree. We have sometimes asked if there is anywhere to camp in a village/pub etc and some bright spark will give you detailed directions to a place 7 miles distant! They just do not understand... At least on a bike you might make an extra mile or two - but on foot it needs to be metres!
That's a shame about the Welsh coast path - its on my 'to do' list (my husband being a taffyapple) so it will be wildcamping all the way - better dust off my walking trailer... it doesn't get any easier does it!!
We are 2 miles from the Devon South coast path - and anybody walking it is welcome to come and camp. We list our garden on Campspace as a cheap campsite for visitors - but any pilgrim is welcome for free!

I am just back from creating a cycling route along the Michael Mary Pilgrimage Way.
The whole route goes from the tip of Cornwall across England, through such interesting/historic/sacred places as St Michael's Mount, Brentor, Glastonbury, Avebury, Beacon Hill and Bury St Edmunds, as well as countless small country churches and Holy Wells and standing stones...ending at the ruined church of St Margarets at Hopton-On-Sea in Norfolk.
On this section we started at Glastonbury and went all the way to Hopton. It takes you through delightful countryside on bridleways, ancient tracks like the Ridgeway and Icknield Way, and small country lanes, with only occasional forays into towns/cities when necessary. I will endeavour to write it up and add it to my website https://pilgrimagecycle.wordpress.com/ soon. I would be more than happy if anyone would like to 'test out' the route and give me feedback. The first section from Carn les Boel to near Truro is already on there - and at least one intrepid pilgrim has tried it!
Let me know what you think...!
Good work, keep it up. Fascinating route. I’ll definitely give it a go, in the future. Cheers

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.