• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle coastal route Porto to Santiago

Milton Henry NZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way: Oporto to Santiago by bike (June 2018)
I am looking for advice. Help please on cycling the coastal route.

I have 6 days to get from Porto to Santiago- June 3rd - June 8th.

I am looking for advice about an itinerary- 50km per day - what stops are best?

I am happy to read blogs.

Thanks

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum @Milton Henry NZ - wow! 50km per day? Will you be on a bicycle? 26km per day is more usual for walkers.

(Edited) - just saw the heading of the post! Sorry - of course. Hopefully some of our bicyclist members can help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Milton, I’m also looking for advice concerning cycling the Portuguese Coastal Way. My daughter and I are starting May 15th from Porto. We are planning between 35 to 40km per day. I’ve found a couple of good blogs and maps in the Portuguese room. Looking forward to reading responses from other cycling pilgrims.

Good luck to you!

Yes you can use the maps from Luis Freixo's Blog see www.caminador.es
I cycled this route twice, once following the yellow arrows on my mountain bike the other following the country lanes. Both ways are entirely viable to do.
Porto to Esposende
Esposende do A Caminha
A Caminha to Baiona
Baiona to Redondela
Redondela to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Santiago de Compostela

Milton, I’m also looking for advice concerning cycling the Portuguese Coastal Way. My daughter and I are starting May 15th from Porto. We are planning between 35 to 40km per day. I’ve found a couple of good blogs and maps in the Portuguese room. Looking forward to reading responses from other cycling pilgrims.

Good luck to you!
Thank-you, what are your thoughts on....

Bikes - taking your own or hiring?
Accomodation - booking ahead of time or arriving pilgrim style?

I have looked at a company that arranges the bikes yo be at your hotel in Porto and then they arrange pickup from your hotel in Santiago, today I read a blog that discussed picking the bike up from a store in Santiago - that seemed simpler?

How is your planning going?
I cycled this route twice, once following the yellow arrows on my mountain bike the other following the country lanes. Both ways are entirely viable to do.
Porto to Esposende
Esposende do A Caminha
A Caminha to Baiona
Baiona to Redondela
thank-you those are the towns I identified too - were any days hard? What were the Difficulties? What is your fitness level and how long did it take you each day?

Finally any accomodation tips?

Thanks for the link!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Porto to Esposende
Esposende do A Caminha
A Caminha to Baiona
Baiona to Redondela

Those maps are great! Thanks

I have looked at a company that arranges the bikes yo be at your hotel in Porto and then they arrange pickup from your hotel in Santiago, today I read a blog that discussed picking the bike up from a store in Santiago - that seemed simpler?

How is your planning going?

thank-you those are the towns I identified too - were any days hard? What were the Difficulties? What is your fitness level and how long did it take you each day?

Finally any accomodation tips?

Thanks for the link!

I'm afraid it's difficult to answer your detailed questions. I'm very fit and so things are relative. I don't know how fit you are. Although the Camino is pretty flat until you get to Baiona/Nigran as with any camino there's always a hill or two to test you. I can walk or cycle a certain distance an hour but everyone has their own, different pace. It's not a race either as I like stopping and enjoying the route no matter what the time is! Accommodation the same, I've no idea what your budget is but there's plenty of choice at each stage of the camino.

I made a last minute decision to hire a bike in Porto. Rented it from these people: https://www.vieguini.pt/ ready for me the next morning. Really lovely helpful people, you take the bike to an albergue in Santiago and there's a process to ship the bikes back to Porto. The Albergue do this all the time, have all the paperwork ready and it was super easy. You can hire everything you need. The bikes aren't fancy but do the job.

I have flown with a bike in the past but it's so much hassle especially if you have a bike box that you have to work out what to do with, plus you may need to do quite a bit of set up to get everything reassembled and ticking over nicely.

Pilgrim accommodation - if you're on a bike I would arrive pilgrim style because you can always cycle on if a place is full. If you have plenty of money there are some fantastic hotels to stay on route. I don't think the route is that hard, there are some hills but nothing like going over the Pyrenees. Seem to remember the climb into Santiago at the end of the day being one of the toughest!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank - you, this is helpful! I like the idea of not over organising things. I was thinking about having a bike delivered and organising collection. I also looked at hiring in Santiago and worried about the hassle of transporting it. I like what you did - hiring in Porto. As long as the return is straight forward.

As far as accomodation - yes I am flexible - happy to experience the range of hotel life. Thank- you again

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back